TRYING TO GET LETTERS READ PHONETICALLY

Stephen Thacker

Hi, I’ve downloaded the latest beta but still cannot get anything to work with getting letters read phonetically ie a for alpha, b for beta, etc. Any help please, Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows

Rui Fontes

Did you install the respective add-on?

145700550

Às 18:45 de 05/11/2021, Stephen Thacker escreveu:

Hi, I’ve downloaded the latest beta but still cannot get anything to work with getting letters read phonetically ie a for alpha, b for beta, etc. Any help please, Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

I haven’t used the add-on that does this but if you use numpad 2 with the numlock off and press it twice when you are on a letter, does anything happen?  If you just press it once, do you hear the letter announced?  Are you using an external keyboard and what kind, USB, or other?

Sent: Friday, November 05, 2021 1:45 PM
Subject: [nvda] TRYING TO GET LETTERS READ PHONETICALLY

Hi, I’ve downloaded the latest beta but still cannot get anything to work with getting letters read phonetically ie a for alpha, b for beta, etc. Any help please, Steve

Sent from Mail for Windows

Rui,

I presume you mean your personally tweaked version of the Enhanced Phonetic Reading add-on, which you tweaked such that it will run with 2020 and 2021 versions onf NVDA.  The last link you posted for that was:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q51767illr4gia/EnhancedPhoneticReading_0.5a2_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Rui Fontes

That link is no longer valid...

Here is a new one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cacyqkmr1pjmnxt/EnhancedPhoneticReading_0.5a2_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 18:52 de 05/11/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

Rui,

I presume you mean your personally tweaked version of the Enhanced Phonetic Reading add-on, which you tweaked such that it will run with 2020 and 2021 versions onf NVDA.  The last link you posted for that was:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q51767illr4gia/EnhancedPhoneticReading_0.5a2_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Rui,

I don't use Dropbox, but it seems that either they don't host stuff for long, or you choose not to keep it up there long yourself.  If you would like, and this link will become invalid in fairly short order, I am happy to host your workaround version of Enhanced Phonetic Reading on my Google Drive until the point in time when "the real one" gets made compatible with the latest NVDA.

Just let me know if you'd like me to do that.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Stephen Thacker

Hi, the link you sent me works, thanks, Steve T

Sent from Mail for Windows

Às 18:52 de 05/11/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

Rui,

I presume you mean your personally tweaked version of the Enhanced Phonetic Reading add-on, which you tweaked such that it will run with 2020 and 2021 versions onf NVDA.  The last link you posted for that was:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q51767illr4gia/EnhancedPhoneticReading_0.5a2_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sarah k Alawami

An you put this on the nvdaaddon.org website so we may all have access to this. This is the non official website btw. The one aath lists probably over 300 add ons.

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 03:18 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
An you put this on the nvdaaddon.org website so we may all have access to this.
-
Until and unless the official developer says they're stepping away, it's not been conventional to allow those who have made temporary workarounds, however useful, to put them up in place of the original.

I am hoping that certain changes are afoot with the NVDA Add-Ons Store with regard to this.  At every backward compatibility breaking NVDA Update there should be a call to all add-on developers with a drop dead date for a response as to whether they will be updating their add-ons or not.  If not, I believe all add-ons there must be open-source under the GPL license (but I could be wrong about that), and if they are then a follow-up call for replacement maintainers could be made.

Some add-ons will die, and that's just a part of life, but for the straightforward ones that need minimal care and feeding that should be easily preventable.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Sarah, first, is nvdaaddons.org...

Second, I only place there my add-ons, and this one I do not considere yet as mine...

As Brian wrote, if the author do not update it, maybe I will take care of it...

Brian, it is not lack of space... Space I have plenty in OneDrive...

It is easier to put the files on DropBox and clean it from time to time...

Thanks any way, and you can do it if you want...

My work in add-ons is totally free and public!

Rui Fontes

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 03:58 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Thanks any way, and you can do it if you want...
-
I will for this specific instance since your version works and the official version remains in limbo.

Rui Fontes' NVDA 2021 Compatible Workaround Version of the Enhanced Phonetic Reading Add-On

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Sarah k Alawami

OH  for what ever reason I thought that was yours. Sorry about that.  You do a lot for the add on community I assumed you had developed this. Lol! Again so sorry, my fault.

Às 18:52 de 05/11/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

Rui,

I presume you mean your personally tweaked version of the Enhanced Phonetic Reading add-on, which you tweaked such that it will run with 2020 and 2021 versions onf NVDA.  The last link you posted for that was:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q51767illr4gia/EnhancedPhoneticReading_0.5a2_Gen.nvda-addon?dl=1

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Janet Brandly

This is a great little app. Using a laptop I use it a lot. Please do keep it up-to-date and keep us all posted.