Failing to read document with Adobe Acrobat DC and NVDA

cisco

Hello everyone,

I installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC and I went through the setup assistant and I set all the options I needed to set for a screen reader to be able to read a document properly.

However, when I open a document that I know is not an image, NVDA reads absolutely nothing in it even though Adobe Acrobat Reader DC displays it. I tried changing the reading order from left to right, top to bottom to infer from document and back, but it didn’t help at all.

What would you recommend?

Best regards.

Francisco.

P.S. The PDF document is a 521 pages school textbook.

Thanks for everything.

Gene

How long have you waited for the document to be recognized?  Have you set Adobe to recognize the whole document or only a certain range of pages, and then recognize more when you move beyond them?

With newer more powerful computers, I don’t know if this is much of an issue, but it used to take Adobe awhile to recognize large documents if you have it set to recognize the whole document.

Using a browser like Edge recognizes documents much faster and I’ve seen a few people saying it produces better results.  Browsers in general these days, at least the popular Windows oness, recognize PDF documents.  I’ve heard this or that person say Edge is better than others.  I haven’t compared.  But you may wish to try having a browser recognize the document.

I installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC and I went through the setup assistant and I set all the options I needed to set for a screen reader to be able to read a document properly.

However, when I open a document that I know is not an image, NVDA reads absolutely nothing in it even though Adobe Acrobat Reader DC displays it. I tried changing the reading order from left to right, top to bottom to infer from document and back, but it didn’t help at all.

What would you recommend?

Best regards.

Francisco.

P.S. The PDF document is a 521 pages school textbook.

Thanks for everything.

cisco

Hello there,

I have Adobe Reader set to recognize only a certain rage of pages.

Funny thing is, that this hole thing works with JAWS, which I uninstalled because I got pissed at it for the 40 demo mode, again, but it doesn’t work with nvda, I wonder why.

As for opening pdfs in browsers, it’s a good idea I agree, but people would prefer if I did it in adobe Reader, so any help would be appreciated.

Best regards.

Francisco.

[...]

enes sarıbaş

Hi,

Unfortunately this is due to NVDA not working with Adobe Reader 64 bit.  Adobe has started installing the 64 bit version by default.

On 11/6/2021 6:21 PM, cisco wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I just managed to reproduce this today. I thought it was just I that had the issue, but I guess not. I’m using the 32 bit version.

Windows 10 21H1 (x64) build 19043.1288

I installed Adobe Acrobat reader DC and I went through the setup assistant and I set all the options I needed to set for a screen reader to be able to read a document properly.

However, when I open a document that I know is not an image, NVDA reads absolutely nothing in it even though Adobe Acrobat Reader DC displays it. I tried changing the reading order from left to right, top to bottom to infer from document and back, but it didn’t help at all.

What would you recommend?

Best regards.

Francisco.

P.S. The PDF document is a 521 pages school textbook.

Thanks for everything.

Sarah k Alawami

People  should not care what you open it in. I had mine open the whole document, and it stil failed to read. All I saw  was a link which was not the text. The browsers work fine.

[...]

Quentin Christensen

I'm not sure what the specific issue here is, but in response to the comment about Adobe Reader DC 64 not being accessible, I am using:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release Version 2021.007.20099 64-bit

And I can read accessible PDF files with NVDA 2021.3 beta 2  (I didn't try 2021.2 just now, but I was using it until we released the first beta and I didn't notice an issue).

Kind regards

Quentin.

cisco

Hello there Quentin and all,

May I ask a link to download the version of Acrobat you’re using right now? I not only want to download it, I also want to confront the link with the one I used.

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Francisco.

I don't have the exact URL I downloaded from, I likely updated from a previous version.  But just looking on Adobe's site I found: https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/otherversions/

Which lets you select the OS, language and version (64-bit or 32-bit).  I found our issue on it: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/12920 but I don't have a concrete solution, except that it seems to work for some users and not for others.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

enes sarıbaş

Hi Quentin,

I was saying this as I am unable  to do so, and have filed the following issue.

I'm not sure what the specific issue here is, but in response to the comment about Adobe Reader DC 64 not being accessible, I am using:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release Version 2021.007.20099 64-bit

And I can read accessible PDF files with NVDA 2021.3 beta 2  (I didn't try 2021.2 just now, but I was using it until we released the first beta and I didn't notice an issue).

Kind regards

Quentin.

cisco

Hello Quentin and all,

I wanted to firstly thank you for the link, it was the one I downloaded the continuous version from.

How ever, when I tried to open a PDF file in that specific version as well, the same that happened previously happened, I wasn’t able to read anything.

I’m just letting you all guys know so you can see if you have that problem or not.

If you find some kind of workaround do write it on the list for those of us who have the problem.

Thanks again for everything.

Best regards.

Francisco.

I'm not sure what the specific issue here is, but in response to the comment about Adobe Reader DC 64 not being accessible, I am using:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous Release Version 2021.007.20099 64-bit

And I can read accessible PDF files with NVDA 2021.3 beta 2  (I didn't try 2021.2 just now, but I was using it until we released the first beta and I didn't notice an issue).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

There is one comment on that issue Enes shared indicating that it works in English, but does not work in other languages, or at least Turkish.  For those experiencing Adobe Reader NOT working, what language are you using?  (I am using English, which might fit with that hypothesis as althoguh it throws a bunch of errors in the log, it does open and read the file).

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM cisco <audiogamer2004@...> wrote:

[...]

I am using the English version.

[...]

Hello there Quentin ad all,

I am using English as my interface language, however I’m trying to read an Italian PDF.

Best regards.

Francisco.