Numbers.

Bill,

Give the following a whirl in the dictionary of your choosing, be it default or voice or temporary.  Just remember if you try it in the temporary dictionary it will vanish if you exit NVDA and start it again later.

Your pattern should be:     \b(1[0-9]|2[0-9])([0-9]{2})

Your replacement should be:  \1 \2

Your comment should be something like:  Make year speak typically

And the Type radio button should be regular expression.

This should cover all years between 1000 and 2099.   This may be problematic if you do a lot of work with 4 digit numbers otherwise, but if that's the case then we need to refine how one uses context around the 4 digits to determine whether they should be spoken as a regular number or as a year is typically spoken.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

The only way I know of to make this happen, and it wouldn't be "generic across all years", is to use the speech dictionary with a trigger word, such as "in," "year," "was," or "of" directly ahead of 1850 and, when that's there, make the replacement string the trigger word plus eighteen fifty.

So sentences like, "It was 1850, and times were bleak," or, "She died in the year 1850," would read correctly.

One could try making this generic by matching the trigger word, the first two digits, and the second two digits but I'd have to think about how, exactly that capture would work.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

Some synthesizers do this, I don’t know how many.  I believe there is a way to do this with the speech dictionary and someone may send instructions.

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 6:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] Numbers.

Is there any way you can make 1850 say the word instead of numbers? Any help
would be appreciated.
Bill.

Bill Chilcott