Interview with Bhavya Shah - part 1

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

Today I am excited to bring you another in our NVDA user stories series - this one the start of its own series!  I chatted with community contributor Bhavya Shah recently, about how he came to NVDA and how he uses it, and some of the many other aspects of his busy life.  It was such a great interview, that we didn't want to cut too much out to keep it short, so instead we're making it a three part series.  Part 1 is available now:

As always I'm interested in feedback, but also particularly this time, on the longer series format and whether that works for you or not?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Its always good to have another user story out there.

Just converting this vid to audio to listen to it now.

On 12/11/2021 1:16 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi everyone,

Today I am excited to bring you another in our NVDA user stories series - this one the start of its own series!  I chatted with community contributor Bhavya Shah recently, about how he came to NVDA and how he uses it, and some of the many other aspects of his busy life.  It was such a great interview, that we didn't want to cut too much out to keep it short, so instead we're making it a three part series.  Part 1 is available now:

As always I'm interested in feedback, but also particularly this time, on the longer series format and whether that works for you or not?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Monte Single

Wow!

I just read part 1.

A wonderful story for sure.

Is Joseph Lee also attending Stanford this year.

[...]

udit pandey

hay can I also share my experience with nvda?

On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 09:09, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

[...]

hope that you all are safe with your family,
 udit
follow me on instagram: udit@pandey123
mail me on gmail at udit52805@...
or outlook me at uditpandey6474@outlook
we should not never speak bad, we should never see bad, and we should never lisson bad

Quentin Christensen

Udit,

Yes please do write to me off list.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 2:42 PM udit pandey <udit52805@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Nope - I have learned long ago that it is far better to look at the reputation of a school/department/discipline before choosing where I get my degree. I think what makes a difference for students is not the name or brand of the school but the faculty and other students who collectively decide the reputation of an institution. Stanford University is a great school as it is a well-known school in computer science discipline and have a solid research record. On the other hand, I am currently attending a public university in California and am looking at several universities across the country as I prepare my Ph.D. application packet (which, among other things, include grades and curriculum vitae (CV)).

My own NVDA story is not as exciting as others, but suffice to say that my volunteer experience gave me one reason for going beyond master's degree education. Speaking of that, I'm part of a roundtable panel at an academic conference on human communication that will discuss nonprofit organization research after the pandemic, and that to me is sort of my last public-facing task as NVDA contributor (there is one more thing I need to do, a subject of my next post).

Having known Bavyah for years, I'm confident that he can make a lasting impact with his studies and service to this community.

Cheers,

Joseph

I may record something for the user experiences thing and send that.

On 12/11/2021 4:46 pm, Quentin Christensen wrote:
[...]

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

Great interview.  But, I could do without the background music!  It wasn’t too loud or energetic, I just don’t like distractions to hearing the main thing.  And that is the words we hear.  It is especially important with interviewees who do not have English as their first language.

I loved hearing Bhavya’s voice and his wonderful story.  I didn’t think this type of interview was too long.

I think both of you did very well with questions and answers and I look forward to the next one.  By the way, quentin, you have an interesting voice too!

Today I am excited to bring you another in our NVDA user stories series - this one the start of its own series!  I chatted with community contributor Bhavya Shah recently, about how he came to NVDA and how he uses it, and some of the many other aspects of his busy life.  It was such a great interview, that we didn't want to cut too much out to keep it short, so instead we're making it a three part series.  Part 1 is available now:

As always I'm interested in feedback, but also particularly this time, on the longer series format and whether that works for you or not?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Marilyn!

Re the music - it's a tricky balance - some people prefer something and some prefer silence.  I try to keep it fairly soft and unobtrusive.  It's good to hear what people do and don't like though, thank you!

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 4:11 PM Marilyn and Don Bilderback <djbilderback@...> wrote:

[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

it would be nice without background music, it would be like a pody cast

Em seg., 15 de nov. de 2021 às 00:15, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> escreveu:

[...]

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I just wanted to express my genuine gratitude for all that the NVDA
community has taught me over the years and for the kind words in this
thread. It is much appreciated.

Thanks.

-

https://www.nvaccess.org/post/bhavya-shah-from-india-to-the-usa-part-1/

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Best Regards,
Bhavya Shah
Stanford University | Class of 2024

Mani Iyer

Hello Bhavya,
I read your interview and all I can say is as a former denizen of Mumbai I am very proud of you and wish you the very best in your career. Unlike you, I am trying to learn Windows and NVDA at a much later stage in life and look forward to this mailing list for support.
I also look forward to Part 3 and 3 of your interview. :)

Warmly,
mani