What Is The Proper Way To Display Icons On the System Tray In Windows 11 As Concerns NVDA

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Shortly after I upgraded to Windows 11, I have had an issue when trying to review items on the system tray.  I don't see all of them that should appear. somehow (and I don't think it was immediately after installation of Windows 11--but maybe a day or so later) all I see if 5 icons and when I get to the network icon, what seems to be happening is that for some reason I lose focus on the system tray and wind up on the taskbar.

I must have accidentally changed something in some manner to hide/conceal icons on the taskbar. So what are the proper settings that will display all the icons I want to see on the system tray? In particular, I cannot access the volume icon on  the system tray.   This issue occurs both with the Windows command Windows key + B and with the add on for NVDA which uses the JAWS similar keystroke NVDA + F11.

--

Signature:

Louis Maher

From the Jonathan Mosen (Mosen AT Large) show published on November 13, 2021, comes the suggestion to hit alt + b which will take you to the system desktop menu and place you on the chevron icon. If you then hit space bar, you can arrow left and see icons, and or you can arrow right and see more icons.

I do not yet run Windows 11.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
[...]

For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Rui Fontes

Not Alt+B but Windows+B...

Rui Fontes

Às 15:31 de 14/11/2021, Louis Maher escreveu:

From the Jonathan Mosen (Mosen AT Large) show published on November 13, 2021, comes the suggestion to hit alt + b which will take you to the system desktop menu and place you on the chevron icon. If you then hit space bar, you can arrow left and see icons, and or you can arrow right and see more icons.

I do not yet run Windows 11.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
[...]

From the Jonathan Mosen (Mosen AT Large) show published on November 13, 2021, comes the suggestion to hit windows + b which will take you to the system tray menu and place you on the chevron icon. If you then hit space bar, you can arrow left and see icons, and or you can arrow right and see more icons.

I do not yet run Windows 11.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
[...]

Thanks to all who gave information about the icons on the system tray. The Molsem advice works--but is a bit clumsy. I do in fact even see the volume icon but I must go all the way one direction (left arrow) and follow by all the way (right arrow) to get it to display.  Once it shows, I can use the context key to access the various functions.

The volume icon and a few others do not show up when using the NVDA add on (NVDA key + F11) keystroke.

On 11/14/2021 10:00 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

If you can’t get to the system tray icon in a convenient way, you may be able to get to the volume control by typing sndvol in the start menu search.

Also, you can make a short cut to the volume control on the desktop and assign a shortcut key.

Sent: Monday, November 15, 2021 12:50 AM

--
Signature:
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Believe it or not, what follows is not me trying to shut down this topic, but trying to be as helpful as I can and point you to what is likely to be a far more useful resource.

This topic is an example of where the screen reader is the least likely thing to be the root cause of the issue.  When Windows changes, and the UI change for Windows 11 is a significant change, access issues with Windows elements you used to have easy access to is likely to lie with Windows itself.  Sometimes the screen reader developers were made aware of potential sticking points well in advance of a given Windows release, and sometimes they weren't.  At times, this means they will be playing catch up along with the rest of us.

For any issues related to Windows functions, and heaven knows the quick launch bar, task bar, and notification area/system tray all are in that category, the group that always has the most active discussions about these has historically been the Windows Access for Screen Reader Users Group (formerly the Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group).   I would strongly suggest joining there, and joining in, when it comes to Windows 11 related sticking points as that's where the "critical mass" of Windows 11 users is most likely to be.  At the moment, even there, that's still a small minority of the overall membership.  Most are following the advice to avoid upgrading to Windows 11 until next spring, at earliest.  But some have purchased machines that came with Windows 11 and don't want to downgrade to Windows 10, and in that situation I can't say I blame them.

Windows Access for Screen Reader Users Group (Formerly: Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group)

Group Archive:  https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/topics

Subscribe: winaccess+subscribe@winaccess.groups.io

Post: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io

Group Owner: winaccess+owner@winaccess.groups.io