Quitting NVDA - The standard "what do you want to do" dialog with combo box is not appearing. Why?

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

Believe it or not, if you go to Preferences, Settings, in the General category, it is right there.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 16 November 2021 19:37
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Quitting NVDA - The standard "what do you want to do" dialog with combo box is not appearing. Why?

Hello All,

I have just encountered a situation while assisting another member of the group that I have never encountered before, and none of my NVDA mojo seems to be able to solve the issue.

Under all other circumstances I've ever dealt with, when you attempt to exit NVDA the Exit NVDA dialog appears, the "What would you like to do?," question is announced, and then the combo box with the options to Exit, Restart, Restart with add-ons disabled, and [at least for betas] Restart with debug logging enabled being the 4 choices.  Then there are the OK and Cancel buttons.   This behavior happens whether I use NVDA + Q or NVDA + N, X as my method of invoking exit.

On this particular machine, NVDA just exits, with no exit dialog presented, and apparently has been doing this for some years.  We just installed NVDA 2021.3beta2, and it occurs with this version, too.  This makes me very strongly suspect that there is some obscure NVDA setting, somewhere, that one can set to make NVDA always exit when the exit keystrokes are entered, but I'll be darned if I can find where it is.

If someone knows what needs to be tweaked in order to bring back the NVDA Exit dialog, please share.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 03:57 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Sorry Brian, I wasn't meaning to sound critical about the choice. 
-
Dan,

No criticism taken, nor offense.  That's why I started with, "I get that."

There is no right or wrong when it comes to personal preference.  I just wanted to give the background and my rationale for wanting it on at that moment.

--

~ John F. Kennedy

Dan Beaver

Sorry Brian, I wasn't meaning to sound critical about the choice.  I was just inserting my feelings about the dialog when I shouldn't have.  I should have simply answered and not vented. :)

Dan Beaver

On 11/16/2021 3:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 02:50 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
I hate the dialog myself so I always leave it unchecked.
-
I get that, but when debugging becomes necessary, it's really handy to turn it on so you can choose one of the restart options that you need.

In today's case, I wanted to restart with add-ons disabled, but ended up manually disabling them before restarting because I had not located this option in a timely manner.  It's a heck of a lot quicker to just restart with add-ons disabled.

Now I'll know how to toggle this if someone else were to have chosen to turn it off.

--

~ John F. Kennedy

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 02:50 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
I hate the dialog myself so I always leave it unchecked.
-
I get that, but when debugging becomes necessary, it's really handy to turn it on so you can choose one of the restart options that you need.

In today's case, I wanted to restart with add-ons disabled, but ended up manually disabling them before restarting because I had not located this option in a timely manner.  It's a heck of a lot quicker to just restart with add-ons disabled.

Now I'll know how to toggle this if someone else were to have chosen to turn it off.

--

~ John F. Kennedy

Dan Beaver

In the settings under general about 3 tabs down the list there is a checkbox that says show exit options when exiting NVDA.  Check it to see the exit dialog or uncheck it to stop showing the dialog.  I hate the dialog myself so I always leave it unchecked.

Dan Beaver

On 11/16/2021 2:37 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Hello All,

I have just encountered a situation while assisting another member of the group that I have never encountered before, and none of my NVDA mojo seems to be able to solve the issue.

Under all other circumstances I've ever dealt with, when you attempt to exit NVDA the Exit NVDA dialog appears, the "What would you like to do?," question is announced, and then the combo box with the options to Exit, Restart, Restart with add-ons disabled, and [at least for betas] Restart with debug logging enabled being the 4 choices.  Then there are the OK and Cancel buttons.   This behavior happens whether I use NVDA + Q or NVDA + N, X as my method of invoking exit.

On this particular machine, NVDA just exits, with no exit dialog presented, and apparently has been doing this for some years.  We just installed NVDA 2021.3beta2, and it occurs with this version, too.  This makes me very strongly suspect that there is some obscure NVDA setting, somewhere, that one can set to make NVDA always exit when the exit keystrokes are entered, but I'll be darned if I can find where it is.

If someone knows what needs to be tweaked in order to bring back the NVDA Exit dialog, please share.
--

~ John F. Kennedy

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Thank you, gentlemen.  I really don't know how I missed this.  I somehow got hung up on the entry above it about saving configuration and selectively overlooked it.

Apparently the default setting, as shipped, is ON/checked and it got set to OFF/unchecked at some unspecified point in the past.
--

~ John F. Kennedy

Chris

Try nvda general settings and > show exit options

Make sure its checked

Sent: 16 November 2021 19:37
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Quitting NVDA - The standard "what do you want to do" dialog with combo box is not appearing. Why?

Hello All,

--

~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

It is in the general settings and it is a check box.  The text says, Show exit options when exiting.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 1:37 PM

Hello All,

Under all other circumstances I've ever dealt with, when you attempt to exit NVDA the Exit NVDA dialog appears, the "What would you like to do?," question is announced, and then the combo box with the options to Exit, Restart, Restart with add-ons disabled, and [at least for betas] Restart with debug logging enabled being the 4 choices.  Then there are the OK and Cancel buttons.   This behavior happens whether I use NVDA + Q or NVDA + N, X as my method of invoking exit.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~ John F. Kennedy

Hello All,

--

~ John F. Kennedy