NVDA 2021.2 - Error when checking for updates

Gtt North Bay

Hi folks,

I am new here and well last night I installed 2021.2 on my new to me laptop and this morning I went to help to check for updates and got an error note. Is this a problem with the point 2 or me as my desktop doesn’t have that error.

Thanks,

Brian B.

You're new, so will not have seen several previous conversations, but this is indeed a bug and it's been resolved with 2021.3.

I would, at this point, strongly suggest you just update to NVDA 2021.3beta2, as it's been working fine, fixes the problem, and will likely go to release candidate status shortly.  But even if you were to have issues with the beta and rolled back to 2021.2, what it fixes in regard to the update issue stays fixed, as it's external to NVDA itself and the fix made stays.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gtt North Bay

Brian,

Can I install the beta over the point 2 or do I need to uninstall 2021.2 first.

Thanks,

Brian B.

You're new, so will not have seen several previous conversations, but this is indeed a bug and it's been resolved with 2021.3.

I would, at this point, strongly suggest you just update to NVDA 2021.3beta2, as it's been working fine, fixes the problem, and will likely go to release candidate status shortly.  But even if you were to have issues with the beta and rolled back to 2021.2, what it fixes in regard to the update issue stays fixed, as it's external to NVDA itself and the fix made stays.

         ~ Vance Packard

Arlene

That depends on you. You can install the beta and put it into a different folder. Some people say you shouldn’t install over a copy. If you are testing for bugs. If you are using it just for your own purposes and don’t want to test for bugs then go ahead. If you want to test for them its not  a good idea.  If you are a beta tester you shouldn’t do it.  That way you can better test for bugs.  Bryan might have his own ideas. I say its up to you.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Can I install the beta over the point 2 or do I need to uninstall 2021.2 first.

Thanks,

Brian B.

You're new, so will not have seen several previous conversations, but this is indeed a bug and it's been resolved with 2021.3.

I would, at this point, strongly suggest you just update to NVDA 2021.3beta2, as it's been working fine, fixes the problem, and will likely go to release candidate status shortly.  But even if you were to have issues with the beta and rolled back to 2021.2, what it fixes in regard to the update issue stays fixed, as it's external to NVDA itself and the fix made stays.

         ~ Vance Packard

Arlene

The reason I say its up to you. I learned from Debbie Scales that if you are going to test a beta screen reader you should have an old copy of the last version kicking around so you know there’s bugs.  I tested Jaws 5.0 that’s why you need to have a more stable version of your screen reader should you run a muck. Debbie Scales used to run a jaws list. She’d probably say its up to you.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

I've always done "install over" installs with NVDA.  Every once in a very great while I might uninstall NVDA entirely, then reinstall, but that's very, very seldom.

I've never had an issue with install over installs with betas, and they are supposed to act exactly like the release candidate and actual releases do in terms of install behavior, and those always do their own install over updates.

Normally I wouldn't suggest installing a beta version as your "daily driver," but this is an exception.  It seems that the 2021.3beta2 has been quite unproblematic and it's the quickest way to solve the issue you're having and the solution will still be in place were you to reinstall 2021.2.

         ~ Vance Packard

Roger Stewart

I can confirm it is a problem on the site.  I'm shown that an update to SPL add on is available but if I try to download it just errors out with no reason why given. I then tried going to the regular site for getting add ons and I got a different kind of error but still with no reason why. It did say they track these errors on their end so hopefully the problem will get fixed soon.  I'm also using NVDA version 21.2 stable version.  \

Roger

On 11/27/2021 1:16 PM, Gtt North Bay wrote:

Hi folks,

I am new here and well last night I installed 2021.2 on my new to me laptop and this morning I went to help to check for updates and got an error note. Is this a problem with the point 2 or me as my desktop doesn’t have that error.

Thanks,

Brian B.

Bobby <vinton.bobby@...>

Just to let you all know I remember Debbie Scales very well.  I loved her nvda lists how ever I am very sad she passed away.

On 11/27/2021 3:17 PM, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I remember the jaws list tat she had. She was very helpful too. I think the name of her list was jaws lite or something like that. I wasn’t using NVDA yet.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Gene

I think that if you update NVDA in general, you should make a portable version and have it copy the current user configuration.  That way, if you want to revert for some reason or if the update doesn’t go correctly, you can uninstall the installed version, then install NVDA from the portable version.  As I understand it, if you keep the current user configuration, I believe you have to make that choice both when you make the portable copy and install using it, that you won’t lose anything, including add-ons.  I realize people like the convenience of updating rather than installing new versions but I don’t like the idea that that leaves you with no way to revert.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

This is why I make a back up of the version I’m running, make it portable with all add ons etc,  then install over top of my production. This way I can revert by making the portable become my production copy with the touch of a button.

[...]

I just ran check for add on updates and this time I was able to get the SPL add on just fine with no errors.  The problem is fixed now!

:)

Roger

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

well, install at your own risk, if something fails and NVDA stops talking, you can call the narrator with ctrl+windows+enter...note that I'm using NVDA 2021.3beta2 since release day, so I don't see a problem .but, to make sure you're 100% okay with NVDA, wait for RC to come, my preview is for day one of destember, which is pretty close.

Em sáb., 27 de nov. de 2021 às 19:35, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> escreveu:

[...]

Beta’s may have bugsbut I’ve never seen one with a serious problem such as not functioning.  I agree that you should know how to get speech if NVDA doesn’t work for some reason, but a general failure of the kind you discuss isn’t expected and I’ve never seen it happen.  I’ve used a lot of betas.  Also, I’ve never seen such a failure discussed here as I recall.

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 8:13 PM

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 10:42 PM, Gene wrote:
I’ve used a lot of betas.  Also, I’ve never seen such a failure discussed here as I recall.
-
Same here.  While beta versions cannot be considered to be 100% stable, they're generally very stable indeed, particularly when compared to alpha/snapshot builds.  And that's true across software, not just NVDA.

On the rare occasion when a beta is "just a little bit beyond alpha" I've seen developers directly state that one should still proceed with caution.  NVDA beta releases are generally considered to be stable, with the possibility of the occasional bug, which beta users are expected to report as part of the bargain of using betas (also true of all beta software, by general convention, not "law.").

I honestly can't remember the last time NVAccess issued a beta1 and beta2 for the same major release, and I didn't encounter any issue with beta1, but clearly other users did, or there wouldn't have been a beta2.  But there were no reports at all on this group of any catastrophic and unrecoverable failures even in beta1.  I've heard nary a peep about 2021.3beta2.

         ~ Vance Packard

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

if you don't want to download, you can download NVDA 2021.3 manually when it's released, this will solve your problem, because now for stable, we don't have any newer than 2021.2