a problem with speech dictionaries again.

Dan Beaver

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Jackie

Have you tried eliminating the brackets?

On 12/5/21, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:
I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech"
as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice
dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my
dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole
word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Hi,

No, but i have some other entries with brackets and they work perfectly.  This is the only one that isn't working.

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 4:06 PM, Jackie wrote:
Have you tried eliminating the brackets?

On 12/5/21, Dan Beaver <dbeaver888@...> wrote:
I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech"
as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice
dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my
dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole
word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

where does this text occur?  Can you chec it, or have you, for spelling and punctuation?  There is probably something in the way it is written that differs from how you are writing it.

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Hi Gene,

I thought about that and did check it and triple checked it.

This occurs in the subject of emails from the blind tech mailing list.  I looked and it is showing up exactly as I typed it.  I checked the case of letters, made sure there weren't spaces in the string and other things.

The other instances of bracketed strings I have entries for are from other mailing lists and they work perfectly but this one does not.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 4:16 PM, Gene wrote:
where does this text occur?  Can you chec it, or have you, for spelling and punctuation?  There is probably something in the way it is written that differs from how you are writing it.

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

I'm not at my computer right now (I'm backstage, managing props) but do you have any entries in your dictionary priot to that one that match any part of it and substitute something else?

More later, but that is something to check.

         ~ Vance Packard

Dan Beaver

    OK, I am sure I tried setting the type field to anywhere and testing it but apparently not.  I just did again on a hunch and it works correctly.  However, if I set the type to whole word it does not work.  Seems to me it should work in either case since there are no spaces in the pattern string.

Why would it not work for whole word?

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 4:02 PM, Dan Beaver via groups.io wrote:

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

Thanks Brian,

I just looked and the answer is no.

I did find the cause of the issue which I reported in my previous posting.

Thanks though.

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 4:32 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I'm not at my computer right now (I'm backstage, managing props) but do you have any entries in your dictionary priot to that one that match any part of it and substitute something else?

More later, but that is something to check.

         ~ Vance Packard

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

In most pattern matching, a word is defined by white space after it.

If your close square bracket is not followed by white space in the thing being matched, it won't match if whole word matching is used.

If how NVDA does this is different, then someone who knows this will certainly speak up.

Also if something other than white space abuts the open square bracket.

         ~ Vance Packard

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi Dan,

I agree with you.

I tried out your “[Blind-t] and found it just as you describe. When set to “Whole word”, the dictionary ignores the entry and converts it exactly when set to “Anywhere”!

I found a declaration that a hyphenated word is always treated as a whole word.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I thought about that and did check it and triple checked it.

This occurs in the subject of emails from the blind tech mailing list.  I looked and it is showing up exactly as I typed it.  I checked the case of letters, made sure there weren't spaces in the string and other things.

The other instances of bracketed strings I have entries for are from other mailing lists and they work perfectly but this one does not.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 4:16 PM, Gene wrote:

where does this text occur?  Can you check it, or have you, for spelling and punctuation?  There is probably something in the way it is written that differs from how you are writing it.

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Avast logo

This can be fixed with a regex match.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Something is being truncated.  I see the name of the list, written in full as follows:
[BlindTech]

If you aren’t seeing that, are you seeing the rest of the subject line in full?  I don’t know how to solve the problem you have but there may be another problem.

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I’m not sure why the line is shown as it is.  While this might not make sense, perhaps since it is being truncated, somehow your dictionary is being shown something different.

[...]

Also, there is no dash as I see Blindtech in the subject line.  That isn’t how the name is written in the address and it shouldn’t be shown in the subject line.  The ;problem, whatever it is, may not need correcting since you have solved the dictionary problem and are satisfied with what is said, but the question still remains why you see an improper statement.

[...]

All I know is that if I use the NVDA key and then press the cursor right key and move through the subject line it shows a space then [blind-t] and then another space.  The remainder of the subject follows and doesn't appear to be truncated or anything.

It appears to me that it is being handled differently as anywhere than it is as whole word.  I have been out of the software programming arena so long I can't say why it is doing this.

Dan Beaver

On 12/5/2021 5:17 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

It really, really helps if there is certainty about what group is being referred to.  I stopped after these three, but if I search groups.io for "blind" these three are a part of the first 150 out of 357 results:

blind-techies

blind-tech-talk / Blind tech talk

blind-t

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Then the list isn’t the Blindtech list I thought was being discussed.  I thought it was because the person asking the question wants NVDA to say Blindtech, a completely different list.  So what I thought was a problem isn’t.  The subject line is being displayed correctly.

Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2021 6:17 PM

It really, really helps if there is certainty about what group is being referred to.  I stopped after these three, but if I search groups.io for "blind" these three are a part of the first 150 out of 357 results:

blind-techies

blind-tech-talk / Blind tech talk

blind-t

         ~ Vance Packard

And I found two more, now listed above the prior three:

BlindTech-2

blindtechnology

blind-techies

blind-tech-talk / Blind tech talk

blind-t

I imagine that blind-t is what's got [blind-t] as its prefix.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sarah k Alawami

Actually it works here for me. It says “blind tech” without a dictionary entry. What synth are you using? I’m using eloquence.

I have tried adding a dictionary entry for "[blind-t]" and gave "blind tech" as the replacement string.  I have added this to the default and the voice dictionaries.  NVDA still pronounces "[blind-t]" as though it doesn't see my dictionary entries.

I also set case sensitivity to unchecked and type to anywhere and whole word.

I am running the latest RC and am running Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1348].

Any ideas why NVDA won't recognize that I have a dictionary entry for this?

Thanks.

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan Beaver

I am using MS David.  could be the issue since it pronounces many things incorrectly but not certain how to determine this.  Will have to try some other synths.

Dan Beaver.