Issue Installing the Application Dictionary Add-On

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 09:14 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
However, what is going to happen if you have someone that doesn't have the knowledge to make a change like this?
-
It's happening, now.

My main point is that having random end users make hacks (and, yes, that's what these are, even if they're exactly what the official maintainer would need to do) is no way to keep something functioning over the long term.

Some add-ons will die, because the simple manifest tweak is not going to be all that's needed as time marches on.  That is unless someone picks up the ones that have been walked away from by their original developers.  And for that to happen there needs to be enough community demand for someone to want to dedicate their time and effort.

Not every piece of software, and that includes NVDA Add-Ons, has a perpetual service life.  There are quite a few add-ons in use that were (and this is no insult) throw-together items made by some very creative user who needed something that didn't exist who decided to share it with the world.  But those users are often no longer with us for any one of a multitude of reasons.

I'm sure that there are certain add-ons that have a very tiny user base compared to the NVDA user base as a whole.  And if their developers cease to maintain them, they are, effectively, the walking dead of software.  Eventually, they will break in a way that will not be fixed.

"In support" is much like "pregnant."  Either you are, or you aren't.

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  I have to agree %100 with you Bryan.  However, what is going to happen if you have someone that doesn't have the knowledge to make a change like this?

Dave G

On 12/7/2021 12:54 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 12:40 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Have you tried to change the manifest.ini?
-
No, and not because I doubt that I could edit it.  But that's not a solution.

Add-ons are either being maintained, by someone (not necessarily their original developers), or they're not.

While I greatly appreciate the manifest editing workarounds you've provided, those are still not a permanent solution to what I hope is a temporary problem.  If an add-on has been abandoned it should be able to be picked up by anyone who wishes to maintain it based on the licensing requirements that NVDA (wisely) insists upon.

If the manifest needs to be edited, or something else needs to be done, the official maintainers need to be doing it.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hi,

The last change to Application Dictionary add-on was made in November 2020, which explains part of the reason for the message you got earlier when trying to install this add-on; of course the other reason is maintenance of this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 04:23 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
In addition to creating an issue for this add-on, please alert the NVDA add-ons mailing list about compatibility issue with this add-on.
-
Both have been completed.  Details available on the add-ons list, as this is really not an end-user issue, per se, but a developer one.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hi,

In addition to creating an issue for this add-on, please alert the NVDA add-ons mailing list about compatibility issue with this add-on.

Cheers,

Joseph

Joseph,

          Seriously, I'm looking for guidance:  How should this be handled?

           My inclination is to open an issue for the add-on itself, but I have no way of knowing for certain if it has been abandoned or not (but I doubt it).

            This is a situation where, "You can't fix what you don't know about," and getting the request to the appropriate person or persons is important.

         ~ Vance Packard

Hi,

The issue is with the add-on. The message you get has to do with add-on API level - the latest API compatibility level is 2021.1. It is possible for add-on authors to specify a newer NVDA release (I had to change API level/release to 2021.2 a few weeks ago; for details, see the release announcements for version 21.10 of my add-ons).

Just changing the manifest is not a complete solution. Even if the add-on works after changing the "last tested version" field, things would have changed that causes old behavior to no longer work. This is why I always advise add-ons community to give status updates on add-ons as soon as the upcoming version enters beta phase, more so if it is a year.1 release.

The bigger issue is not keeping add-on author contact information up to date, as well as looking for maintainers. In terms of the latter point, it would have been emphasized lot more if the world didn't go south since 2020; since people are going through many things, it is perfectly understandable that the community would have a harder time finding maintainers. This will become very important soon when people find out that some important add-ons stopped working in NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 (thankfully the community has learned how severe that situation would be a bit early, so folks are keeping a closer eye on it).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Tue, Dec 7, 2021 at 12:40 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Have you tried to change the manifest.ini?
-
No, and not because I doubt that I could edit it.  But that's not a solution.

Add-ons are either being maintained, by someone (not necessarily their original developers), or they're not.

While I greatly appreciate the manifest editing workarounds you've provided, those are still not a permanent solution to what I hope is a temporary problem.  If an add-on has been abandoned it should be able to be picked up by anyone who wishes to maintain it based on the licensing requirements that NVDA (wisely) insists upon.

If the manifest needs to be edited, or something else needs to be done, the official maintainers need to be doing it.

         ~ Vance Packard

Rui Fontes

Have you tried to change the manifest.ini?

Rui Fontes

Às 17:33 de 07/12/2021, Brian Vogel escreveu:

It was sourced from the NVDA Add-Ons Directory, specifically, downloaded using this link:  applicationDictionary 1.4-dev (stable)

When I attempt to install this add-on using NVDA 2021.3rc1, the following error message appears:

Add-on not compatible dialog.  Installation of Application Dictionary 1.4-dev has been blocked. An updated version of this add-on is required, the minimum add-on API supported by this version of NVDA is 2021.1

I am presuming I'll probably need to file an issue with the add-on authors GitHub for this add-on, but wanted to check here first just in case it could be on the NVDA side of things rather than the add-on side.  Obviously I'm using a version of NVDA that's newer than 2021.1, and the last tested version noted for the add-on is 2020.4.  That's why I presume that something has changed between the 2020 dot versions and 2021 dot versions that the add-on authors need to update, but I want to be certain before logging an issue.

         ~ Vance Packard