new addon: NVDA Advanced OCR.

Simone Dal Maso

Hello,

I am part of a developer team of a new addon.

I'd like to inform you that yesterday  we published the first version of Nao, NVDA Advanced OCR.

I paste the little readme file and at last I put the link for download.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Nao is an addon that improves the standard OCR capabilities that NVDA provides on modern Windows versions. While NVDA standard command uses Windows OCR to recognize the screen, NAO is able to make the OCR on files saved on your hard drive or USB devices. Use NVDA-Shift-R to recognize any sorts of images and pdf! Simply put the focus / cursor on the file you desire, don't open it, but hit NVDA-Shift-r. The document will be recognized and a simple text editfield will appear, allowing you to read the entire content. Nao is able to handle also multipage pdf, so if you have a not accessible document, don't worry, Windows OCR will be able to make yhr entire work.

System Requirements
The addon works on Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems, since they have OCR capabilities builtin. Nao is compatible from NVDA version 2021.2, so don't use older versions of the screen reader. Note that Nao works with Windows Explorer, on desktop, or with Total Commander filemanager; don't use other software like 7zip or Winrar , since they are not supported.

Features and commands
• NVDA + Shift + R: recognize any sorts of images and pdf from file system;
◦ PgUp / PgDown: move the cursor between real pages of a multipages document.
◦ NVDA + Shift + P: report page number related to the cursor position, in a multipage document.
• NVDA + Shift + Ctrl + R: take a full screen shot and recognize it.

Github repository:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao

Latest version:

https://github.com/sharkboyto/nao/releases/download/v_2021.1.07/nao-2021.1.07.nvda-addon

William

Hello,

If I am understanding correctly, this app is also based on the Windows OCR, but it will automatically process a multi-page file instead or clicking nvda+r for every page, am I right?

Simone Dal Maso 於 8/12/2021 17:10 寫道:

Il 08/12/2021 11:23, William ha scritto:

If I am understanding correctly, this app is also based on the Windows OCR, but it will automatically process a multi-page file instead or clicking nvda+r for every page, am I right?

Yes, with the difference that you don't open the file in your adobe reader or similar. And you have the multipage recognization on fly.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi, Simone,

This is n excellent piece of work! I have just tried the add-on with a bank statement in bitmap form file in my Downloads folder. It works like a dream!
Yesterday, I tried to read the same file by using NVDA + r to OCR the Adobe screen displaying the statement. This gave me only a partial read of the contents. I am sure this was limited by the way Adobe was displaying the image.

Just now, I pointed to the closed file in my downloads folder and press NVDA+shift+r and, almost instantly, a crisp, clear version of the statement page appeared without all the material that complicated the Adobe-based image.

Many thanks to you and to the developer team and for sharing this great tool!

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Brian Moore

This sounds fantastic and super useful. I just installed it and ran it on  a closed file in my down loads folder.  I get "recognizing" and then a couple of beeps, followed by "process completeed"  I then hear the first line of the file but if I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

If this works well, this could be a game changer and super useful as I said.

Thanks.

Brian.

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123

On 2021-12-08 4:10 a.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:
Hello,

[...]

Kenny Cheung

Hi Simone,
I was wondering, with this add-on, could it read what is displayed on a capture card for video games? I have a game system connected to my capture card and have the capture card connected to my computer and I OCR the capture card to read the text.

Sent from Kenny’s MacBook Pro

On Dec 8, 2021, at 04:10, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> wrote:

[...]

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

when will it be tested on NVDA 2021.3?

Il 08/12/2021 13:35, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas ha scritto:
when will it be tested on NVDA 2021.3?

it works without problem on 2021.3.

Simone Dal Maso

Il 08/12/2021 12:31, Brian Moore ha scritto:
I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello Brian, this never happened during test, so it is quite interesting.

Can you try with other files?

We should investigate about this, so please if you make other tests don't esitate to write!

What you are using? win10/11?

Thank you.

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

i think brian is using windows 10 21h1

Em qua., 8 de dez. de 2021 às 09:42, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> escreveu:

Il 08/12/2021 12:31, Brian Moore ha scritto:
> I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads
> folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello Brian, this never happened during test, so it is quite interesting.

Can you try with other files?

We should investigate about this, so please if you make other tests
don't esitate to write!

What you are using? win10/11?

Thank you.

Brian Moore

Hi.  sure, will try a different file.

I am using

Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1348)

Will test other files and report back.

On 2021-12-08 7:45 a.m., Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:

i think brian is using windows 10 21h1

Em qua., 8 de dez. de 2021 às 09:42, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> escreveu:

Il 08/12/2021 12:31, Brian Moore ha scritto:
> I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads
> folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello Brian, this never happened during test, so it is quite interesting.

Can you try with other files?

We should investigate about this, so please if you make other tests
don't esitate to write!

What you are using? win10/11?

Thank you.

Brian Moore

Hi.  I have no tried this on several files, all pdf and get exactly the same result.  The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from where I initiated the ocr.

On 2021-12-08 7:45 a.m., Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:
i think brian is using windows 10 21h1

Em qua., 8 de dez. de 2021 às 09:42, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> escreveu:

Il 08/12/2021 12:31, Brian Moore ha scritto:
> I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads
> folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello Brian, this never happened during test, so it is quite interesting.

Can you try with other files?

We should investigate about this, so please if you make other tests
don't esitate to write!

What you are using? win10/11?

Thank you.

Kenny Cheung

Hi Simone,
I’m just wondering if you saw my reply.

Sent from Kenny’s iPhone

[...]

mehmet çetin

hello, this add-on makes ocr files in which extension except pdf, and the add-on did not work for me, the windows system I use is windows 11

Il 08/12/2021 13:20, Kenny Cheung ha scritto:
I was wondering, with this add-on, could it read what is displayed on a capture card for video games?

Hello,

Perhaps yes.

I haven't a second video card, but I think that for the addon there is no difference on which source take the screenshot from.

Make a test, but I am quite sure it works.

Thank you!

Simone Dal Maso

Il 08/12/2021 13:57, Brian Moore ha scritto:

 The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from where I initiated the ocr.
Ok, I will contact the developers for this.

Are you using a laptop? Or an usb keyboard?

The fact is that it seems that for some reasons the addon doesn't intercept the arrow keys.

Are you using the normal arrow keys or for example some emulations or numpad keys?

Sorry for all these questions but it is to understand the problem.

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

This certainly sounds like an excellent add-on. Does anyone know if there is a similar add-on or function to scan directly from twain scanners or cameras? That is the 1 missing function in my humble opinion.

Very best wishes,

Mo.

On 08/12/2021 11:24, Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:
[...]

Hi.  No worries, this is how you troubleshoot things.

Desktop mechanical USB keyboard with regular arrow keys.

If it would help, happy to do an nvda remote session if that would help.

I am in Canada eastern time.

On 2021-12-08 8:32 a.m., Simone Dal Maso wrote:

Il 08/12/2021 13:57, Brian Moore ha scritto:

 The ocr process happens and I hear "result document" and the first line of the file but as soon as I press an arrow key to read the rest, the result vanishes and I am taken back to the folder from where I initiated the ocr.
Ok, I will contact the developers for this.

Are you using a laptop? Or an usb keyboard?

The fact is that it seems that for some reasons the addon doesn't intercept the arrow keys.

Are you using the normal arrow keys or for example some emulations or numpad keys?

Sorry for all these questions but it is to understand the problem.

abdul muhamin

Hi, I tried to read the file, but the processing is taking too much time, specially for the large pdf files. can you make it a bit faster?

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 2021-12-08 7:45 a.m., Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:

i think brian is using windows 10 21h1

Em qua., 8 de dez. de 2021 às 09:42, Simone Dal Maso <simone.dalmaso@...> escreveu:

Il 08/12/2021 12:31, Brian Moore ha scritto:
> I press an arrow key, I am taken back to the contents of my downloads
> folder and not the ocr result.  Anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello Brian, this never happened during test, so it is quite interesting.

Can you try with other files?

We should investigate about this, so please if you make other tests
don't esitate to write!

What you are using? win10/11?

Thank you.

abdul muhamin

Please add support for the .txt files, it will be the good alternative for the file reader addon, I’m eagerly waiting for that addon to be compatible for the latest NVDA, I used to read the move list for the fighting games

Sent from Mail for Windows