control+shift+w command must be changed in weater plus

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

hi friends, this command is used in google chrome to close all tabs, so this command must be changed to not conflict.

Sarah k Alawami

Can you change that in the gestures dialogue to something that works on your computer? I would have to have a play to see what could work.

Take care.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

hi friends, this command is used in google chrome to close all tabs, so this command must be changed to not conflict.

Jackie

NVDA commands are prefaced w/the NVDA key of your choosing so as
specifically not to interfere w/other keyboard shortcuts. Having thus
said, alt f4 can substitute for ctrl shift w in Chrome, but I don't
see anywhere where NVDA even uses this.

escreveu:

Can you change that in the gestures dialogue to something that works on
your computer? I would have to have a play to see what could work.

Take care.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. <https://tffp.pinecast.co/> We are also on
lbry <http://lbry.tv/@tffp> as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord.
<https://disboard.org/server/495549452115902486> This is an easier way to

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 09:29 PM, Jackie wrote:
Having thus said, alt f4 can substitute for ctrl shift w in Chrome, but I don't see anywhere where NVDA even uses this.
-
Jackie,

You are indeed correct that NVDA itself does not use this shortcut, but the Weather_Plus add-on does.  Here's the description:

'Adds local temperature and forecast 24 ours and prediction up to 9 days.\n', 'NVDA+w for the current bulletin.\n', 'NVDA+shift+w for the prediction in the current 24 hours and prediction up to 9 days.\n', 'NVDA+shift+control+w for quickly enter a temporary city.\n', 'NVDA + shift + control + alt + w for open the Weather Plus settings.\n', 'NVDA+alt+w announces the date of the last update of the weather report.\n', 'Shift+control+w alternates between Fahrenheit, Celsius and Kelvin.\n', 'For other instructions, you can also press Add-on Help button in Add-ons manager.'

But it's ludicrous to declare that any add-on developer must substitute a keyboard shortcut.  There are a finite number of keyboard shortcuts, and there will always, always be possibilities of overlap.  In a case like this, I would expect that NVDA (or, more accurately, the Weather_Plus add-on) would intercept this shortcut, so it would have no effect in the Chrome browser, but I could be wrong about that.  If, by some chance, it were being passed through to Chrome, then it could be remapped in input gestures.  No developer can know what specific programs any given individual user might be using, and if an alternative exists for the same function, and closing the browser is one, then there's no problem.

As you've noted, ALT + F4 does precisely the same thing as CTRL + SHIFT + W in Chrome itself.  I use CTRL + W to close individual tabs all the time, but if I want to exit Chrome or any other program in its entirety I rely exclusively on the Windows-wide keyboard shortcut for that purpose, ALT + F4.

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

ok sorry brian now that i think better we can press NVDA+f2 and the next shortcut will be ignored by NVDA

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:02 PM, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:
i think better we can press NVDA+f2 and the next shortcut will be ignored by NVDA
-
Which is true, you can use the pass-through command.  I'm just not sure why you'd want to.  There is another command that does what you want to do unless you've got multiple Chrome windows open and only want to close one of them with all its tabs.

If one wants to only close the window with focus of a program that's got multiple open windows, ALT + FN + F4 does that.

If one wants to close the program, ALT + F4 does that.

Fewer keystrokes than using passthrough followed by CTRL + SHIFT + W

Not alt fn f4;.  To close the tab you are in, control f4.

Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2021 10:20 PM

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:28 PM, Gene wrote:
To close the tab you are in, control f4.
-
Which is not what I said.  And you're not incorrect.

If you want to close a single window, and all its tabs, of a program that has multiple windows open you use ALT + FN + F4.  Since that's what CTRL + SHIFT + W happens to do in Chrome, and what was being talked about in that context, I brought up the Windows "generic" command that causes the same thing to occur.

CTRL + W also closes a tab, too, but I didn't bring that up.

Tyler Spivey

Most non-laptop keyboards don't have an FN key. What does ALT+FN+F4 say in NVDA's input help when you press it?

On 12/9/2021 8:35 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:28 PM, Gene wrote:
To close the tab you are in, control f4. -
Which is not what I said.  And you're not incorrect.
If you want to close a single window, and all its tabs, of a program that has multiple windows open you use ALT + FN + F4.  Since that's what CTRL + SHIFT + W happens to do in Chrome, and what was being talked about in that context, I brought up the Windows "generic" command that causes the same thing to occur.
CTRL + W also closes a tab, too, but I didn't bring that up.
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
Most non-laptop keyboards don't have an FN key.
-
If you can show me a regular keyboard without a FN key, I'd like to see it.  The function key has been a staple of PC keyboards, period, for as long as I've been using PCs, which is since their introduction.

Tyler Spivey

Something like this shouldn't have one, though I can't see it to confirm:

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-KU-0833-Wired-Keyboard/dp/B005EOWBHC/

A standard keyboard has left ALT, left Windows and left CTRL to the left of the space bar, and right ALT, right Windows, Applications and right CTRL to the right of the space bar. None of those are an FN key, so I'm interested in figuring out what your OS thinks it's receiving when you use it.

On 12/9/2021 8:40 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
Most non-laptop keyboards don't have an FN key.
-
If you can show me a regular keyboard without a FN key, I'd like to see it.  The function key has been a staple of PC keyboards, period, for as long as I've been using PCs, which is since their introduction.
*/Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth./*
~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in /New York Times/ article, /How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States/ <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/health/anti-vaccination-movement-us.html>/,/September 23, 2019

And this keyboard does, of course, have a FN key.

To the left of the spacebar, starting from leftmost and moving inward:  CTRL, Windows Key, ALT

To the right of the spacebar, starting immediately to the right of the spacebar, and moving rightward:  ALT, Context Menu/Applications Key, FN key, CTRL

There are some keyboards with a left and right Windows key, but it's far more conventional for there to be but one, and on the left side of the spacebar.

Mary Otten

I have a full keyboard from das keyboard that does not have an fn key. In fact, as I think back on full keyboards I've had, I can't think of a single one that had that key. Function keys? Yes. The fn key, NO!

Mary

On 12/9/2021 8:40 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
Most non-laptop keyboards don't have an FN key.
-
If you can show me a regular keyboard without a FN key, I'd like to see it.  The function key has been a staple of PC keyboards, period, for as long as I've been using PCs, which is since their introduction.

Tyler,

After looking at more, though, those that feature a right Windows key have generally replaced what would have been the Fn key on them.  I've never had a PC come with this style of keyboard "straight out of the box."  But there are a number of replacement USB keyboard keyboards where the FN key has been replaced.

As an aside, ALT + Spacebar, C also closes a window, so there is a method even for keyboards sans an FN key.  Windows generally gives a number of roads to Rome for fundamental commands.

Mary Otten

My current keyboard is one that you described as not usual, i.e. I still have that 2nd windows key on the right, rather than the fn key that you have.

Mary

On 12/9/2021 9:05 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
And this keyboard does, of course, have a FN key.

To the left of the spacebar, starting from leftmost and moving inward:  CTRL, Windows Key, ALT

To the right of the spacebar, starting immediately to the right of the spacebar, and moving rightward:  ALT, Context Menu/Applications Key, FN key, CTRL

There are some keyboards with a left and right Windows key, but it's far more conventional for there to be but one, and on the left side of the spacebar.

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 12:09 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
The fn key, NO!
-
OK.  I am not going to argue with anyone's personal experience that differs from mine.  I am not all seeing, but I have touched a lot of computers (and their keyboards) since 1981.

There are multiple close window shortcuts, including, but not limited to ALT + F4 (but which also closes the running program in some cases), ALT + FN + F4, ALT + Spacebar followed by C.  There are probably others, too.  And all of these are Windows-level keyboard shortcuts, not program level, so they should be able to be used regardless of the window that has focus.

I’ve seen many keyboards without an fn key.  I bought one in the nineties and I got two keyboards without fn keys when I purchased desktops.

I don’t know how many keyboards have fn keys that are not on laptops but, as I consider the question, a friend of mine purchased a Del desktop perhaps five or ten years ago and it doesn’t have a fn key with the keyboard provided.

I looked up fn alt f4 and I found nothing in the result links when I llooked at the first five or perhaps more links.  The command you are citing is completely outside of the usual organization of Windows.  It is also, as a command, redundant, if I understand what you are describing.
If I have two Windows opened in a program, such as two documents in Word, or two Windows in a browser, alt f4 closes the window I am in and leaves the other one opened.  If I had two windows opened in a browser and two tabs opened in each window, for example, alt f4 would close the wwindow I am in, including all tabs opened in that window and leave the other window opened.

I am not saying you are wrong about such a command existing, but given all I’ve said, I await further discussion.  In other words, I’m skeptical.

Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2021 10:40 PM

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:38 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:
Most non-laptop keyboards don't have an FN key.
-
If you can show me a regular keyboard without a FN key, I'd like to see it.  The function key has been a staple of PC keyboards, period, for as long as I've been using PCs, which is since their introduction.

Chris Mullins

Hi

I am a user of WeatherPlus and had not realised this command existed but it is used to toggle temperature between Kelvin, Celcius and Farenheit on the fly, and as you say should really contain the NVDA modifier.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

NVDA commands are prefaced w/the NVDA key of your choosing so as

specifically not to interfere w/other keyboard shortcuts. Having thus

said, alt f4 can substitute for ctrl shift w in Chrome, but I don't

see anywhere where NVDA even uses this.

On 12/9/21, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas <25102008luccas@...> wrote:

> sará, I can do this, but it should have another command by default

> Em qui., 9 de dez. de 2021 às 22:05, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...>

> escreveu:

>> Can you change that in the gestures dialogue to something that works on

>> your computer? I would have to have a play to see what could work.

>> Take care.

>> ----

>> Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. <https://tffp.pinecast.co/> We are also on

>> lbry <http://lbry.tv/@tffp> as well.

>> Stay in touch with us via our discord.

>> <https://disboard.org/server/495549452115902486> This is an easier way to

>> both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Also, since fn key commands give no spoken output and since they tend to do things like turn things on or off or change settings, I don’t think people should play with this command to see what happens.  If it turns out that the command does what is stated and is a standardized command, then of course, people may use it but I don’t think it should be experimented with as a blind user.  You may change something and be completely unaware of it until you have a problem or problems.