Sluggishness with LibraOffice Calc

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

I am using Windows 10, LibraOffice 7.2.4 and NVDA 2021.3.  with Calc, there is a great amount of sluggishness, as outlined below:

- With a spreadsheet open, each time I enter a number into a cell, there is like a 15 second delay before NVDA responds with the number entered.

- When using the enter or arrow keys after entering a number into a cell to move to a new cell, it takes like 15 seconds before NVDA responds.

- Generally, after performing any of the two above actions, the full file path and file name is spoken.

I do not have any special settings in either NVDA or LO.  When using JAWS and Excel, I experience none of this sluggishness.  So, what is causing this?

Thanks,

Richard

Chris Mullins

Hi

NVDA and LO.Calc is not a match made in heaven but I can generally cope with it.  The fact that the full file path and file name is spoken when moving between cells is an annoyance that can be silenced with the control key.  I don’t seem to get the sluggishness you are encountering, I tend to have “Speak typed characters” on so the numbers are read out as I type, then I press the right arrow to exit the cell, then if necessary, press left arrow to move focus back to the cell just input to check the value.  Sounds a bit clunky I know but the left/right arrows do react quickly for me.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

I am using Windows 10, LibraOffice 7.2.4 and NVDA 2021.3.  with Calc, there is a great amount of sluggishness, as outlined below:

- With a spreadsheet open, each time I enter a number into a cell, there is like a 15 second delay before NVDA responds with the number entered.

- When using the enter or arrow keys after entering a number into a cell to move to a new cell, it takes like 15 seconds before NVDA responds.

- Generally, after performing any of the two above actions, the full file path and file name is spoken.

I do not have any special settings in either NVDA or LO.  When using JAWS and Excel, I experience none of this sluggishness.  So, what is causing this?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Chris!

For the “Speak typed characters” option, exactly *there* can I engage that?  Is it in NVDA or LO?

Thanks,

Richard

I am using Windows 10, LibraOffice 7.2.4 and NVDA 2021.3.  with Calc, there is a great amount of sluggishness, as outlined below:

- With a spreadsheet open, each time I enter a number into a cell, there is like a 15 second delay before NVDA responds with the number entered.

- When using the enter or arrow keys after entering a number into a cell to move to a new cell, it takes like 15 seconds before NVDA responds.

- Generally, after performing any of the two above actions, the full file path and file name is spoken.

I do not have any special settings in either NVDA or LO.  When using JAWS and Excel, I experience none of this sluggishness.  So, what is causing this?

Thanks,

Richard

V Stuart Foote

With Win10 (21H2) no NVDA sluggishness  with LibreOffice Calc build 7.2.4

Sounding typed characters as typed is found in NVDA --> Preferences --> Settings --> Keyboard   -->  "Speak typed characters"

Gene

It can also be toggled on and off with NVDA key ;plus number 2 on the main keyboard.

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 2:17 PM

With Win10 (21H2) no NVDA sluggishness  with LibreOffice Calc build 7.2.4

Sounding typed characters as typed is found in NVDA --> Preferences --> Settings --> Keyboard   -->  "Speak typed characters"

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Stuart!

Do I understand your below to mean that you *are not* experiencing this sluggishness?

I confirmed that I have the “speak characters as you type” option “on” in NVDA.  My Windows version is 20H2.  Although different from yours (21H2), I do not think that this makes a difference.  However, I am indeed experiencing this sluggishness.

I tried it with JAWS (2020) and Narrator.  Basically, I experienced the same sluggishness; although it was a bit worse with JAWS and a bit less with Narrator.  The file I am working with is in Excel (.xlsx) format.

Thanks,

Richard

With Win10 (21H2) no NVDA sluggishness  with LibreOffice Calc build 7.2.4

Sounding typed characters as typed is found in NVDA --> Preferences --> Settings --> Keyboard   -->  "Speak typed characters"

Chris Mullins

Hi Richard

It’s an NVDA feature, use NVDA+2 (Numrow) to toggle the speaking of typed characters, NVDA+3 (NumRow) toggles speaking typed words.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Thanks for this.  However, I confirmed that I have this option engaged.  But, the sluggishness remains.