Question about an add-on

Hi everybody!

This is my very first letter, I am still new to the list, so I greet everyone very much. I use the two screen readers alternately for now, but I would like to use NVDA more intensively and efficiently. I have a question about an add-on: is there an add-on that works with keyboard shortcuts like switching the jaws and pc cursors, so can I use the numpad plus and minus keys to switch between cursors? Thank you very much in advance for your reply and help!

With Best Regards,
Tibor

Gene

No add-on is needed.  If you are using the desktop layout, the command to move from object review to screen review is numpad insert numpad 7.  To return to object navigation, which you should do when you are finished in screen review, the command is numpad insert numpad 1.  Others will provide the laptop command.

But in NVDA, when you use either object navigation or screen review, it isn’t the same as the JAWS cursor.  There are certain keys used and you don’t use ordinary movement commands.  If you use such commands such as the arrow keys or control home and end, for example, you will still be moving the application cursor. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Question about an add-on

Hi everybody!

This is my very first letter, I am still new to the list, so I greet
everyone very much. I use the two screen readers alternately for now,
but I would like to use NVDA more intensively and efficiently. I have a
question about an add-on: is there an add-on that works with keyboard
shortcuts like switching the jaws and pc cursors, so can I use the
numpad plus and minus keys to switch between cursors? Thank you very
much in advance for your reply and help!

With Best Regards,
Tibor

Sarah k Alawami

No you cannot. I would consult the quick start and read about object navigation. It is actually a very easy concept to understand if you take the time to learn it. It can mostly give you the layout of a screen and program etc.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tibor Hermann
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 6:53 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hi everybody!

This is my very first letter, I am still new to the list, so I greet everyone very much. I use the two screen readers alternately for now, but I would like to use NVDA more intensively and efficiently. I have a question about an add-on: is there an add-on that works with keyboard shortcuts like switching the jaws and pc cursors, so can I use the numpad plus and minus keys to switch between cursors? Thank you very much in advance for your reply and help!

With Best Regards,
Tibor

Sarah k Alawami

Actually I never switch views. I stick to screen review  everywhere I to. I don’t find myself having a different experience in each when I use arrows. I’m not sure why it is suggested to switch back and forth like this as for me there really is no difference, at all.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Question about an add-on

No add-on is needed.  If you are using the desktop layout, the command to move from object review to screen review is numpad insert numpad 7.  To return to object navigation, which you should do when you are finished in screen review, the command is numpad insert numpad 1.  Others will provide the laptop command.

But in NVDA, when you use either object navigation or screen review, it isn’t the same as the JAWS cursor.  There are certain keys used and you don’t use ordinary movement commands.  If you use such commands such as the arrow keys or control home and end, for example, you will still be moving the application cursor. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:53 AM

Hi everybody!

This is my very first letter, I am still new to the list, so I greet
everyone very much. I use the two screen readers alternately for now,
but I would like to use NVDA more intensively and efficiently. I have a
question about an add-on: is there an add-on that works with keyboard
shortcuts like switching the jaws and pc cursors, so can I use the
numpad plus and minus keys to switch between cursors? Thank you very
much in advance for your reply and help!

With Best Regards,
Tibor

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 11:01 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Actually I never switch views. I stick to screen review  everywhere I to. I don’t find myself having a different experience in each when I use arrows. I’m not sure why it is suggested to switch back and forth like this as for me there really is no difference, at all.
-
And that could be because you've trained yourself to "get to everything I want to" using screen review mode.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

But I do think that someone new to NVDA does need to be aware of the modes and play around with each before settling on the one they prefer, or using toggling as Gene suggests.

The only "right way" here is whatever suits you best after you've had a chance to acquaint yourself with the available modes and how they behave.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Gene

Object navigation, I think, is hard to learn by seeing a description.  I think that some basic things need to be described, such as an object being inside of another object, but in terms of really understanding it and learning it from teaching, I think a tutorial approach should be taken where you are told to be in a certain place and instructed to take certain actions so you can see what happens.

Screen review, on the other hand is about the same as using the JAWS cursor but you use different commands. 

As far as the layout of a screen or program, screen review may give you a feel for that but I’m not sure how much object navigation corresponds to what you see on screen.  I suspect some of it does, or more or less, and some of it doesn’t.

Gene

Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 9:59 AM

No  you cannot. I would consult the quick start and read about object navigation. It is actually a very easy concept to understand if you take the time to learn it. It can mostly give you the layout of a screen and program etc.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tibor Hermann
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 6:53 AM

Hi everybody!

With Best Regards,
Tibor

Sarah k Alawami

No, I don’t even use screen review. I can’t really explain it, but I really don’t see a difference. I use up and down arrow with the keyboard everywhere I go. I only use object nav in screen review mode to get around if I really must. I never could explain what I meant all these years. Arrows work correctly no matter where you are. So there really is no difference in how you navigate. Again I’m really struggling for words here so bare with me. I navigate notepad, jarte, etc, outlook with the arrows, and not object or screen review. I navigate qrz.com with  document view as there are things that the arrows will miss for what ever reason.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2021 8:09 AM

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 11:01 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

-
And that could be because you've trained yourself to "get to everything I want to" using screen review mode.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

But I do think that someone new to NVDA does need to be aware of the modes and play around with each before settling on the one they prefer, or using toggling as Gene suggests.

The only "right way" here is whatever suits you best after you've had a chance to acquaint yourself with the available modes and how they behave.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Hi,

The closest equivalent to object navigation in JAWS world is touch cursor.

The easiest analogy I use when explaining object navigation (or for that matter, object hierarchy) is website layout, specifically the relationship between a web document, a list of elements, and items within a list.

To answer the original question: to my knowledge, there is no widely used add-on to let you use Numpad arrow keys to move the mouse (the closest we have is Mouse Keys feature in Windows). A similar functionality to move the mosue using regular arrow keys can be achieved via Golden Cursor add-on (I am the last maintainer, and I passed the add-on to the community weeks ago; that is, I have no intention to maintain that add-on unless this is the last resort).

Cheers,

Joseph