I want to volunteer to update Dictation Bridge

Justin Harford

Hello

I have recently started studying Python. I am still working my way through the basic course on codecademy. I am looking for a project to gain more practice in the real world, and I was thinking that the dictation bridge project could be a way to contribute. I'm not exactly sure what the nature of the needed changes are, but maybe if a programmer familiar with the project could guide/mentor me, I could make a difference with my limited skills. As I understand it the syntax changed between Python 2 and Python 3, so I am guessing that there is a lot of grunt work to be done, updating the syntax of dictation bridge so that it will play nice with NVDA, a big time commitment for experienced programmers with more opportunities or more pressing priorities, but perfect for me.

Anyway it could be that I still need to build some more skills, but if it's just a matter of going through and updating syntax, I might have what it takes. I have a personal interest in getting this working with the latest version, as I use it for work every day, and would like to be able to update from the old version of NVDA that I am still using.

Best regards
Justin Harford (he/him/his)
Program Coordinator (NCDE)
Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
132 E Broadway Suite 343
Eugene OR 97401
541-343-1284 ext 1014 (voice)
jharford@... (email)

Not that this is not appreciated, because it is, but when it comes to stepping into "developer's shoes" for NVDA Add-Ons, there is a group dedicated to just that:

NVDA Add-On Developers Group, AKA NVDA Add-Ons Central

This group is focused on the development of NVDA Add-Ons.  It is not an end-user support group.

I'd advise you to join there and post.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jackie

My friend Pranav Lal had a lot to do w/the development of Dictation
Bridge, Justin. I'll send him your info if that's ok.

Not that this is not appreciated, because it is, but when it comes to
stepping into "developer's shoes" for NVDA Add-Ons, there is a group
dedicated to just that:

NVDA Add-On Developers Group, AKA NVDA Add-Ons Central

This group is focused on the development of NVDA Add-Ons.  It is not an
end-user support group.

* Post: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io (
nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io )
* Subscribe: nvda-addons+subscribe@nvda-addons.groups.io (
nvda-addons+subscribe@nvda-addons.groups.io )
* Group Owner: nvda-addons+owner@nvda-addons.groups.io (
nvda-addons+owner@nvda-addons.groups.io )
* Help: nvda-addons+help@nvda-addons.groups.io

I'd advise you to join there and post.

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right
place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I have contacted Justin off list.