NVDA add-ons resources differences?

Daniel McGee

Hello everyone.

I am somewhat confused.

regarding the two following resources for NVDA add-ons, why do two sources exists? As a posed to just one main central resource.

The first which can be accessed by the following keystrokes.

Caps-Lock N, for NVDA Menu, T, tools,A, manage add-ons, alt G, get add-ons.

Or the following link.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

The second  resource

www.nvda-addons.org

Regards

Daniel

John Isige

Basically? I think because there's a process to go through to get your
addon added to the NVDA Community Addons site, your first link, and some
people don't want to do that. You had, probably still do, other addon
sites floating around with half-finished addons and illegal addons and
the like.

So I'm guessing somebody wanted to make a site to sort of vet some of
those other addons. There are addons that haven't gone through the
process to get on the community site, but that doesn't mean those addons
are necessarily bad. I also have a feeling that there are addons in
other languages besides English, and again, I don't think there are any
of those on the Community site. So there's another reason to have a site
that might catch some of those things. If they can develop a good
reputation, it's another resource for people to go to, and a way to get
good addons to people even if developers don't feel like going through

On 12/26/2021 8:01 PM, Daniel McGee wrote:
Hello everyone.

I am somewhat confused.

regarding the two following resources for NVDA add-ons, why do two
sources exists? As a posed to just one main central resource.

The first which can be accessed by the following keystrokes.

Caps-Lock N, for NVDA Menu, T, tools,A, manage add-ons, alt G, get
add-ons.

Or the following link.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

The second  resource

www.nvda-addons.org

Regards

Daniel

Gene

The first site, available from manage add-ons and using the link you provided, is the official NVDA add-ons site.  Add-ons that are there have been checked to make sure they have no malicious code.

The second site has add-ons that are both from the official site and those that aren’t.  Those that aren’t may have malicious code.  That isn’t to say that most of them do.  I haven’t seen much of anything on the subject.  But many unofficially offered add-ons are not malicious.  Some add-ons are being evaluated by those working for the official site and may be on the unofficial site before they have finished being evaluated.

If you aren’t sure, you might want to ask about a specific add-on.

Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2021 8:01 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA add-ons resources differences?

Hello everyone.

I am somewhat confused.

regarding the two following resources for NVDA add-ons, why do two
sources exists? As a posed to just one main central resource.

The first which can be accessed by the following keystrokes.

Caps-Lock N, for NVDA Menu, T, tools,A, manage add-ons, alt G, get add-ons.

Or the following link.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

The second  resource

www.nvda-addons.org

Regards

Daniel

Well the first is the official site.
I never heard about the second, it may be an unofficial site certainly
looks like it.
Not sure who even does it but its not the main site.

On 27/12/2021, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Héctor Javier Benítez Corredera

Hello, the first address is the official one which only contains official plugins that have passed the filter.

The second one is a project driven by the Spanish NVDA community:

https://nvda.es/

Well this page:

https://www.nvda-addons.org/

It pretends to have the official plugins together with unofficial plugins but that have had a review by people from the Spanish community to check their reliability.

At present between official and unofficial add-ons and discontinued add-ons there are 255.

The discontinued ones remain to be studied at some point by someone who may be interested.

This database intends to try to have the majority of complements located in a single place.

Also in this directory the authors of add-ons can manage the incorporation to the catalog along with their updates.

This database is usually updated daily with the updates that if one had to be looking for the different sites that are distributed could lose a lot of time.

In addition, I developed a Store which allows us to have in an add-on all the add-ons files being able to download them, visit the add-on page and more things like searching, filtering by API, author, downloads, etc.

The Store add-on will also allow us to check for updates every so often, update our official and unofficial add-ons and more options.

If you try it is recommended to read the help, it is in English too and clarify that this Store is not the official NVDA is the one that uses the database of the above mentioned page.

I leave the link in case someone wants to try the Store add-on:

https://nvda.es/files/get.php?file=tienda

And here its repository in Github:

https://github.com/hxebolax/Tienda-para-NVDA

Greetings

P.s: Sorry my mother tongue is not English so this text has been translated with DeepL.

Hi all,

A birdy tells me that things have changed regarding add-on review process. Stay tuned for details.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sarah k Alawami

The add ons page, the secone one is for all add ons non official and official and for all versions. I quite like that one better as I can access stuff including betas if the developers put their stuff up there. Be careful though as I don't think those add ons are not vetted.

regarding the two following resources for NVDA add-ons, why do two sources exists? As a posed to just one main central resource.

The first which can be accessed by the following keystrokes.

Caps-Lock N, for NVDA Menu, T, tools,A, manage add-ons, alt G, get add-ons.

Or the following link.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

The second resource

www.nvda-addons.org

Regards

Daniel

Rui Fontes

The add-ons are evaluated and they are not posted if they are not secure...

Rui Fontes

Às 16:28 de 27/12/2021, Sarah k Alawami escreveu:

The add ons page, the secone one is for all add ons non official and official and for all versions. I quite like that one better as I can access stuff including betas if the developers put their stuff up there. Be careful though as I don't think those add ons are not vetted.

regarding the two following resources for NVDA add-ons, why do two sources exists? As a posed to just one main central resource.

The first which can be accessed by the following keystrokes.

Caps-Lock N, for NVDA Menu, T, tools,A, manage add-ons, alt G, get add-ons.

Or the following link.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html

The second resource

www.nvda-addons.org

Regards

Daniel

Mani Iyer

Just curious to know if a code review is done as part of the evaluation process.

Mani

On Dec 27, 2021, at 11:52 AM, Rui Fontes <rui.fontes@...> wrote:

[...]

Ângelo Abrantes

hi,

What are the criteria used for an addon to become official?
What are the translation criteria for an addon to become official?
Being the NVDA an international project, what are the reasons why only about half of your official addons are fully available for us to translate them?
Why and why so many problems, just because there is a new place where you can find yourself "all" the addons for the NVDA, when the official store has not spent the paper yet?

Cheers.
Ângelo Abrantes

--
Cordiais Cumprimentos
Ângelo Abrantes, Equipa <Portuguesa do NVDA

Hi all,

Some answers:

  • Review required: in the past, basic review (license and copyright, security, user experience, documentation, NVDA compatibility) was needed to introduce new add-ons to the community add-ons website (all five parts must pass). Although it had the advantage of letting the community know that the add-on was okay to use, an obvious downside was that only several members reviewed new add-ons (in the beginning add-on updates too were reviewed, which was since relaxed to review only new add-ons). This has changed recently so that add-ons can be introduced to the website (eventually through a store) if a description is given, add-on link is published and working, and does not dodge NVDA compatibility statements (for instance, if an add-on declares compatibility with a version of NVDA not in circulation, it will not be accepted). Therefore, add-on reviews are encouraged but are not required (think of NVDA Advanced OCR add-on - it made its debut a few days ago, and developers provided a description and a download link here; ideally new add-on intros (add-on name, author, description, download link, source code repository if it exists, NVDA compatibility info) would appear on NVDA add-ons list first so interested members can review and comment while the add-on is registered if developers say yes). This change was made in preparation for a store process (discussed below).
  • Store submission process: although not formalized yet, the process involved in distributing add-ons through a future store uses pull requests. An add-on author would submit new or updated add-on release metadata through a pull request, which will be accepted and made visible to add-on store clients (including NVDA). There are things taking place behind the scenes, but details are still yet to be determined (since store submission process was drafted by NV Access and add-ons community with NV Access taking primary responsibilities, it is up to NV Access to finalize things when they are ready).
  • Add-on distribution process, then and now: until early 2021 I (Joseph Lee) served as primary maintainer of add-on files database (the database itself was created in 2013 to host download links for add-ons on the community add-ons website). Whenever new add-ons were introduced (passed the basic review then) or updated, I would log onto add-on files repository and update the database. In 2021, as part of add-on store proposal, I and NV Access staff agreed to use pull requests for add-on submission process. As a result, NV Access manages add-on files database, with add-on authors submitting pull requests whenever folks need to add or update add-ons. Currently, an add-on author would submit a pull request when add-on updates are released, with another add-on author reviewing the pull request (the pull request consists of two parts: the new add-on download link, and updated add-on metadata). After the second add-on author (not the person who developed the updated add-on) reviews add-on metadata, NV Access staff would certify the update by approving the pull request and making the new add-on download link available by updating add-on files database (the entire process of creating a pull request, review from an add-on author, NV Access certification, updating add-on files database) is what I call "queueing for distribution"). The goal of the 2021 process is to test add-on store submission process, with the whole thing being automated and simplified by the time the add-on store becomes reality - that is, after creating a pull request to register new or updated add-ons, add-on store workflow will do its magic and make the new and/or updated add-ons available for you within minutes compared to hours as of now.
  • Add-ons from other sources: you are welcome to install add-ons from sources other than community add-ons website. Note that NVDA may block add-on installation if it determines the add-on is not compatible based on add-on manifest information. You can "overcome" this by editing the manifest, but I strongly discourage this (unless this is the last resort) as add-on modules themselves might be using code that's changed or removed from NVDA itself. This is the reason why members of the add-ons list are informed about changes that can have impact on add-ons.
  • What about add-on security: there is potential for malicious activity by add-ons as add-ons (and for that matter, NVDA) is written in Python. The add-ons community takes security seriously and we take action if told an add-on is not doing what it says it does (folks do provide comment on add-on source code from time to time). Security is the reason why NVDA itself has a "secure" mode where access to the file system, logs, add-ons manager, and updates are restricted or disallowed, and add-ons do check for "secure" flag and exit if NVDA is operating in this mode (unless the add-on author and/or source code says otherwise). Ultimately, add-on security depends on human attitudes (add-on author, community members, and ultimately, users).
  • Can folks propose add-ons for community distribution: of course. For old add-ons, please test them with latest NVDA stable release (2021.3.1) to make sure they are compatible, and if not, either modify the add-on or set compatibility to the oldest supported NVDA release. This is more so if an add-on was not maintained past 2019 and is written in Python 2; although the community does not have an official word on Python 2, in January 2022 add-on development guide (to be discussed on add-ons list) will state that Python 3 is required, and consequently, NVDA 2019.3 or later.
  • What about add-on licensing: what I say should be taken with a grain of salt as I'm not a lawyer. Add-ons community had a debate about this for a while. The consensus seems to be that any part of an add-on that directly touches NVDA screen reader (namely calling functions and inheriting classes from NVDA) must be licensed under GNU General Public license version 2 as these parts are derived works of NVDA. NV Access does state two exceptions in their license document: code included with add-ons (called "plugins" and "drivers" in the document) with a different license (including proprietary code), and Microsoft redistributable modules; in case of the add-on exception, as long as the component that uses something licensed differently still allows the parent add-on to be licensed under GPL 2 and does not use NVDA code and/or used by NVDA, it can be included. For example, Resource Monitor, an add-on that uses NVDA code, is licensed under GPL 2; this add-on relies on psutil, a Python library licensed under 3-Clause BSD (Berkeley Software Distribution) license compatible with GPL, therefore psutil can be used in this add-on. If an add-on author has doubts about license terms of components to be used in an add-on, do ask for advice on add-ons list and/or look up compatibility between the component licenses and GPL.

In closing, let me clarify that I am not an employee of NV Access, nor am paid to maintain add-ons infrastructure for them. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Most add-ons are introduced without translations, or if introduced, are not localized yet. The reason is that users would like to know if the new add-on is something they wish to use before translators say they will localize add-ons. Although readiness for localization is considered as part of old user experience review process, the priority for this case is getting something working in the beginning. After add-on authors say the add-on is ready and distributed, localization then takes place (this is partly due to the translation workflow we have).

I understand that this might not be the answer you are looking for, but the community can assure you that we do look at translations seriously (several community leaders speak English as a second language, therefore we understand the importance of translation and localization work).

Cheers,

Joseph

Rui Fontes

Yes, the last add-on I submitted was reviewed by NVDA.es...

Just after corrections it was published.

Rui Fontes

[...]

José Manuel Delicado Alcolea

Hi everyone,

Before answering to the question about code review, I should explain what nvda-addons.org is and why it was created. This is the first time I participate on this list, so I don't know if another member of the NVDA.es group has already done it before.

One of the main goals of the spanish community is to collect all available add-ons around the world in a single directory, excluding illegal and malicious ones. We are aware that we won't achieve completely this goal, but we continue exploring several groups, GitHub profiles and repositories, websites created by other communities, etc. This brings many advantages to our users and developers. Repeated work is avoided, people knows about wonderful add-ons developed outside the community, and our developers have very good code samples that they can use as starting points. I could list even more advantages, but this message would become too long.

Maintaining the directory becomes harder as more add-ons are added. We have to watch the source repositories, websites and so on when available and notify the community of add-on updates. This is the reason we developed our first solution: https://github.com/nvda-es/advancedAddonFiles

Since the directory became machine-readable and exportable in JSON format, Héctor decided to create the "Tienda NVDA.es" add-on, translated as "NVDA.es store". Updates are available as soon as the download links are modified from the web interface, avoiding delays seen in the international community, which relies on other procedures. User accounts can be created for add-on authors, who can update download links for their NVDA add-ons, but can't register or delete add-ons from the database.

The nvda-addons.org website is built on top of this web application, and aims to share all we have achieved so far beyond the spanish community.

After this short introduction, It's time to talk about reviews. We take code reviews very seriously, specially since review process is optional in the international community. When an add-on author introduces their work in the spanish mailing list, we perform a deep review and provide suggestions. When corrections are applied, we upload it to nvda-addons.org and publish the add-on documentation translated to spanish on the nvda.es website.

If the add-on comes from outside, a light validation is performed. Only security issues and license / copyright are checked in this case.

On november 2021, we published a guide on how to review add-ons. We encourage you to take a look. Use the Google Translate combo box located inside the web page or the translator of your choice: https://nvda.es/documentacion/desarrollo/documentacion-de-la-comunidad-hispanohablante/guia-de-revision-de-complementos/

Regards.

El 28/12/2021 a las 20:16, Rui Fontes escribió:
[...]

Equipo de gestión web y desarrollo

Asociación Comunidad Hispanohablante de NVDA
- Tel.: (+34) 910 05 33 25 ext. 2001
- jm.delicado@...
- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

***Este mensaje y sus adjuntos están dirigidos a su destinatario y pueden contener información exclusiva o confidencial. La utilización, copia o divulgación de los mismos por parte de alguien diferente a dicho destinatario no está permitida sin autorización. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que lo comunique por esta misma vía y seguidamente lo destruya.***

Mani Iyer

Hello Jose,
Thank you for the detailed explanation of the entire review process.

Mani

n Dec 28, 2021, at 4:45 PM, José Manuel Delicado Alcolea via groups.io <jm.delicado@...> wrote:

[...]

After receiving several review requests on nvda-addons.org, I want to clarify something important: we won't accept forked add-ons that aren't properly identified as such. This includes modifying manifest, documentation and even code comments to explain this is a forked copy / derivative work and mention the original author's name, following GPL version 2 terms.

Specifically, we have received requests like the following:

- VoiceOver by Technology and news: https://nvda-addons.org/revreq.php?id=18

- أصوات NVDA PC- by Technology And News (أصوات NVDA PC- by Technology And News): https://nvda-addons.org/revreq.php?id=20

Both are modified versions of Objsounds, created by Tyler Spivey and updated by Chris Leo. They include different sounds and a modified manifest, without Tyler or Chris names. The Python code and translations remain unchanged, including the original comments. I feel this is a bit disrespectful for the original authors, who have spent a lot of hours and effort developing, testing and maintaining the add-on.

Also, a Telegram channel URL is not a valid URL. I'll update the review guidelines to restrict valid URLs to those which can be opened and read from a web browser.

Regards.