Editing Email Signature

Armando

Hello. I am trying to edit my signature using the Mail Client For Windows 10. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. How can I work around this issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Armando Vias

I can get you as far as editing the signature text, which at the moment has to be done "in silent mode," but I still can't figure out how to get access to the Save control (NVDA does not say, "Save button," just, "Save," when I hover over it).

If someone has figured out a clever way to access the Save control, please share.  The standard ALT + S does not work in this context.

I would love to know what it is that's special about this particular dialog that makes it not expose certain elements to the screen reader that get exposed pretty much every where else.  It's also a longstanding issue with the Windows 10 Mail App (and I wonder if it will carry over to Windows 11, and suspect it will).

Also just curious if anyone has tried doing a signature edit with Narrator (or JAWS)?  I have not and on certain occasions another screen reader will, for whatever reason, see and announce something the other(s) don't.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Armando

I’ve tried it with Narrator a few minutes ago, but it is doing the same thing. So yeah, there is a serious problem with thesignature dialog that Microsoft needs to fix ASAP.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 11:17 AM, Armando Vias wrote:
So yeah, there is a serious problem with the signature dialog that Microsoft needs to fix ASAP.
-
Well, if it hasn't been a priority for just short of 6 years now . . .  (this has been an issue, literally, for years - I get why it's low on the fix priority list, too.)

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Sarah k Alawami

I would write the sig in jarte, keep a back up, then edit that and paste it into the edit box in MS mail.

Hello. I am trying to edit my signature using the Mail Client For Windows 10. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. How can I work around this issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Armando Vias

Gene

Why Jarte and not Notepad, where there won’t be a chance of any formatting?

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2022 11:32 AM

I would write the sig in jarte, keep a back up, then edit that and paste it into the edit box in MS mail.

Hello. I am trying to edit my signature using the Mail Client For Windows 10. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. How can I work around this issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Armando Vias

Sarah k Alawami

If you did submit feedback about this,  what have they said, if anything? If not, since I don’t use mail at all I cannot do this as I don’t want to put any  wrong steps out there, but hopefully someone will submit feedback about this issue.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM, Gene wrote:
Why Jarte and not Notepad, where there won’t be a chance of any formatting?
-
Precisely because a very great many people, including myself, want to format signatures such that some of the text is in one font/color/size while another part is in another.

Yes, I do realize that this is "a visual thing," but I know way more than one blind person who uses formatting conventions to make things easier and/or more visually appealing for the sighted who are reading things.

If you want plain text, though, then Notepad is perfect.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 12:35 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
If you did submit feedback about this
-
I thought I might have, way back when, but a search on "mail app signature inaccessible" turns up nothing, and that's even if all feedback is searched.

I'll let someone else open up this issue.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Just a note: this does not happen using Thunderbird mail client. With the Microsoft Mail limitations using their onboard client and with Outlook (the cost) I would recommend Thunderbird as a good mail alternative--where possible. I realize that work environments may not allow this, but at home, you should be good to go.

--
Signature:

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I forgot about the tutorial on my website that David did. It is for the windows mail app and has a section for the signature.

I do not use it so have not tried to put one on to the end of my emails as I use thunder bird and I have it there.

The link to where it can be found is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/How%20to%20use%20the%20Mail%20app%20in%20Windows%2010%20with%20NVDA.html

The tutorial comes off my main website at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

There is a section in there that might help for the signature part of it.

Gene nz

On 4/01/2022 4:24 am, Armando Vias wrote:
Hello. I am trying to edit my signature using the Mail Client For Windows 10. Unfortunately, it is not accessible. How can I work around this issue?

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Armando Vias

Mani Iyer

Hello Gene,
Thank you so much for the Windows Mail tutorial. It is clear and simple. It will help me greatly to get familiar with Mail using NVDA.

mani