is there a way on a windows 10 computer to have NVDA starting
automatically when the login screen appears?
I thought there was but can't remember for sure

also happy new year to everyone on this list.

Kristy

Steve Wettlaufer

Yes.  If you go to preferences and then press enter on the settings option, you should see a checkbox that says use NVDA during sign in under the general category.  Remember that you need to have administrator access on the machine in question for this to work.

Steve

On 2022-01-09 4:45 p.m., kristy stichter wrote:
Hi all
is there a way on a windows 10 computer to have NVDA starting
automatically when the login screen appears?
I thought there was but can't remember for sure

also happy new year to everyone on this list.

Kristy

kristy stichter

thanks steve, I thought it was something like that, but just wanted to
make sure.

On 2022-01-09 4:45 p.m., kristy stichter wrote:
Hi all
is there a way on a windows 10 computer to have NVDA starting
automatically when the login screen appears?
I thought there was but can't remember for sure

also happy new year to everyone on this list.

Kristy

First, this is going to become my standard practice in 2022, so it's not aimed at you, specifically.  Every NVDA user needs to know how to bring up the NVDA User Guide when questions like this arise:  NVDA + N, H, U   [NVDA Menu, Help, User Guide]

In the User Guide, search on just the phrase "windows start" and you're right in the middle of the discussion of enabling the setting in General settings to do just that.

Now I'll give the answer:
NVDA + CTRL + G opens the NVDA General Settings.  So does NVDA + N, P, S  (Since General settings are the initial Settings tab/pane displayed)

In the General settings there is a checkbox for, Use NVDA during sign-in (requires administrator privileges).  If you have admin privilege, and check this checkbox, NVDA should become active on the Windows sign-in screen the next time you have to sign-in to windows.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I will say this would be much easier, if NVDA had a search settings option.

I have enjoyed it both on mobile phones and in JAWS and I believe this would be a good addition to NVDA.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 06:52 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
I will say this would be much easier, if NVDA had a search settings option.
-
About which we both agree.  I think there's an existing issue on GitHub (or it may be a feature request) and that I've commented on it in the past.

But, right now, you work with the tools you've got.  And when it comes to NVDA (and JAWS, for that matter) over time I've found that far too few users, regardless of length of use, have ever been told how to open the two most commonly referenced pieces of documentation from within the screen reader itself.

In the case of NVDA, the reference material opens in your default web browser.  These days I will do nothing other than presume that a screen reader user (unless they're brand spankin' new and have made the readership aware of that) knows how to use both the screen reader search function as well as their browser's search function with a choice word or phrase to attempt to find what they're looking for.  And, truly, if they don't then they need to learn, fast.

I also expect that venues such as this one are going to have "back and forth" from those asking questions and those providing answers as needed.  If an answer is too vague, too difficult, incomplete, etc. after you've tried what was suggested then ask a follow-up indicating what's still not working.  When I started out in the various screen reader groups I was almost always giving keystroke by keystroke step-by-step instructions.  While there are times where that's necessary, they should be the exception, not the rule.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 09:52 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I think there's an existing issue on GitHub (or it may be a feature request)[for an NVDA Settings Search feature] and that I've commented on it in the past.
-
Upon further research, I can't find one, so I've added one.  I will post the link in a separate topic, probably in a few hours to a day, just because I may not have had the "magic search terms" to find a related feature request or bug report.  I want to give the time for this to either be determined to be new, and stand alone, or be merged with an existing feature request or bug report before pointing others to it.

But once I have, if you're someone who believes that NVDA should have a settings search feature, get yourself over to GitHub and comment on that feature request.  This is one of the ways in which interest in something is gauged and priorities are set.

For those who don't have a GitHub account, but may be interested in getting one:

Creating a Github Account

Creating an Issue in GitHub for NVDA

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Pre and Post Filling-Out Instructions

MS-Word Fillable Form for an NVDA Bug Report Including Only Post Filling-Out Instructions

How to Unprotect a Completed Fillable Word Form so the Entire Document Can Be Copied

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)