LibreOffice Calc Global Commands Extension add-on

Richard B. McDonald

Thanks, Chris!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 6:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] LibreOffice Calc Global Commands Extension add-on

Hi Richard

The “Global Commands Extension” is an NVDA add-on (similar to a Jaws Script), which adds functionality to the screen reader, over and above that provided by the NVDA core.  Add-ons are optional pieces of software providing additional functionality  covring a large variety of applications, so you can choose the add-ons to tailor NVDA to suit your own computing preferences.

The “Global Commands Extension” adds a whole host of additional functionality, including audio feedback from clipboard related commands.  Although the clipboard copy command works in terms of grabbing the cell contents from LO, the audio feedback it provides just says “No Selection”.

There is another NVDA add-on called “Clipspeak”, which does announce “Copied to clipboard” when used with LO but I think that the audio feedback is triggered by the fact that a clipboard related command has been issued, not it’s outcome.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 12 January 2022 22:35

Hi Chris!

I replied separately to your other email on the LO accessibility email list.  About your below, what is the “Global Commands Extension?”

Thanks,

Richard  

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 7:02 AM
Subject: [nvda] LibreOffice Calc Global Commands Extension add-on

Hi

When using LibreOffice Calc and I want to copy cell contents to the clipboard, pressing Control+c causes NVDA to say “No Selection” even though the data is copied successfully.  Is this because Libreoffice Calc accessibility is MSAA based rather than UIA?  Does the Global Commands Extension  add-on require a UIA notification event to trigger  the voicing of “Copy”?

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Gene

That is not correct using Clipspeak, if you mean that it says copied every time control c is used.  It doesn’t speak just because a command is pressed. 

Clipspeak usually gives correct information.  At times, I’ve seen it say no change when a change occurred but that’s not often and the information and convenience of the add-on makes it very important, in my strong opinion.

Here is a description from the add-on help about how it determines what action has been taken.  The same information is on the web page for the add-on but I got it from the help in the add-on.
In order to prevent announcement in inappropriate situations, Clipspeak performs checks on the control and the clipboard in order to make an informed decision as to In whether such an announcement is necessary. Because of this, Clipspeak's announcements may be inaccurate.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2022 8:18 AM

Hi Richard

The “Global Commands Extension” is an NVDA add-on (similar to a Jaws Script), which adds functionality to the screen reader, over and above that provided by the NVDA core.  Add-ons are optional pieces of software providing additional functionality  covring a large variety of applications, so you can choose the add-ons to tailor NVDA to suit your own computing preferences.

The “Global Commands Extension” adds a whole host of additional functionality, including audio feedback from clipboard related commands.  Although the clipboard copy command works in terms of grabbing the cell contents from LO, the audio feedback it provides just says “No Selection”.

There is another NVDA add-on called “Clipspeak”, which does announce “Copied to clipboard” when used with LO but I think that the audio feedback is triggered by the fact that a clipboard related command has been issued, not it’s outcome.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris!

I replied separately to your other email on the LO accessibility email list.  About your below, what is the “Global Commands Extension?”

Thanks,

Richard 

Hi

When using LibreOffice Calc and I want to copy cell contents to the clipboard, pressing Control+c causes NVDA to say “No Selection” even though the data is copied successfully.  Is this because Libreoffice Calc accessibility is MSAA based rather than UIA?  Does the Global Commands Extension  add-on require a UIA notification event to trigger  the voicing of “Copy”?

Cheers

Chris

Chris Mullins

Hi Richard

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris!

Thanks,

Richard  

Hi

When using LibreOffice Calc and I want to copy cell contents to the clipboard, pressing Control+c causes NVDA to say “No Selection” even though the data is copied successfully.  Is this because Libreoffice Calc accessibility is MSAA based rather than UIA?  Does the Global Commands Extension  add-on require a UIA notification event to trigger  the voicing of “Copy”?

Cheers

Chris

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Chris!

Thanks,

Richard  

Hi

Cheers

Chris

Chris Mullins

Hi

Cheers

Chris