Topics

Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

Quentin Christensen

Hi everyone,

NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for NVDA”.  This eBook is the first module in the official set of training materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.

This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve proficiency.

Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and object navigation.

The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.

Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text.  We are working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due course.

Kind regards

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Ondrej Rosik

Hi,
Very interesting. My question: would it be possible to translate it to other languages? I am translating NVDA to Slovak, so I can imagine that translator volunteers theoretically should translate this document to their language. I realize, that it is som much work and It may take more time. Do you plan this?

Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

[...]

Hi Ondrej,

A very good question.  It is something that's come up in discussion.  As you note, it is a lot of work to translate and we do very much appreciate the work that you are already doing.

The priority to date has been getting the material released electronically initially.  Now that is done we are working to make it available in audio and braille (in English) and also setting up the certification exam.

We will definitely look at the question of translation although to start with we don't want to put any extra on your shoulders just yet.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ondrej Rosik <ondrej.rosik@...> wrote:
[...]

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi, is the intention to use artificial voice or 'real' voices for this?

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
NVDA”. This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.

Available now from:
http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/

[...]

I’ve just ordered the book after liking the sample and to simply contribute to the project. Hope you all do the same even if it’s just to contribute to the project.

On 14 Apr 2016, at 07:47, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

[...]

Well I just brought the basic material and its all in text formats.
I am good at what I do use nvda for but I will still buy the modules.
I don't use office as such but am willing to eventually take the online exam, just for fun.
I am a system tech but well yeah why not.
I do use nvda on a regular basis so this could be an interesting thing to get under my belt.

Hi, is the intention to use artificial voice or 'real' voices for this?

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Quentin Christensen"
<quentin@...>
[...]

I have the book and will read it even though I am a good user of most of nvda.
I will order the others to and maybe I may do the certifficate for thesheer hell of it.

On 14/04/2016 8:12 p.m., Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
[...]

Christo Vorster

Hi Quentin

Before I throw you a curve ball, a bit of background.

I am employed by the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I am involved in training adult blind persons, mostly from our so-called “previously disadvantaged” communities. These people, under normal circumstances receive a state grant of, if I convert it to Australian dollar at a rate of ten to one, fourteen dollar.

Our institution is usually obliged to write off their study costs. So what I am driving at, is to ask whether it might be possible to obtain a copy of the training material at a discount or, at best, free of charge.

I understand that the development of NVDA doesn’t come cheep, and I, as a blind person myself, genuinely appreciate what is done. To my mind NVDA is probably the best speech program available. I don’t just say this because it is the correct thing to do, this is my true opinion.

Please don’t feel that it is your duty to give us the material for free, or at a discount, I am just enquiring.

Thanks again for everything that you, and whoever else, do to provide the blind community, world wide, with this brilliant package.

Best wishes for the further development and regards

Christo Vorster, South Africa

[...]

Heaven Botma <ehlbotma@...>

Hi

What does the certification involve?

Heaven

wrote:

[...]

If this message has appeared already then avert your gaze and carry on.

Hello One and All
Well done to Quentin for the book and NV-Access in general
I have just bought the book mainly to support the NVDA project.
To all those who do not want to buy it just think how your computer
would be without NVDA.
You would probably have to spend about 500+ GBP
to get some other screen reader so dig deep and buy it!

John from Woodside Apps.
Accessible Apps and games for mobile devices.
Android - Talking Stones FREE version is at
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=woodsideapps.stones.free
IOS Wallpaper Creation Station is at
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wallpaper-creation-station/id1089097834?mt=8
Also for great accessible games go to
http://www.22point.com.au

wrote:

[...]

Mallard

Hello Quentin,

I hadn't realised you were involved in this project. Thanks so much to you and all that have worked at it.

I've just bought the ebook, but I have two problems:

1. I can't find a way to download the book;

2. While filling in the form with billing data, I selected "Milano" as city, but somehow it turned out to have taken "Agrigento".
How can I rectify this?

Thanks, ciao,
Ollie

Il 14/04/2016 08:47, Quentin Christensen ha scritto:
[...]

Hello again Quentin and all,

I managed to download teh book. Thanks a lot.

I'm erally curious and eager to start studying... I've used NVDA as my only screen reader for years, but I'm so lazy that I never really took time to learn properly how it works in detail.
Audio tutorials are not my cup of tea; this is agreat opportunity to become more proficient in our great screen reader.
[...]

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi!
I've just bought the new "Basic training for NVDA" book, which I'm sure I'll find useful.
Even though I've been using NVDA full-time for over five years, I have mostly taught myself to use it, so this book may teach me about things in NVDA I might not have discovered yet, as well as reminding me of things I already know.
What's more, I'm happy to contribute a bit towards the funding of NVDA by buying this book, and I hope plenty of other NVDA users will do the same, whether they're newbies or more experienced.
Many thanks to the authors of this new book for producing it.
Bye for now!
From Clare

[...]

Hi Bill,

Re choice of voices, do you mean when going through the material itself?

The initial release of the material is packaged in a handful of etext formats (Word document, ePub, HTML and Mobi - the format Kindle uses), so reading those would be with an artificial voice on whatever device you are using.  We are currently working on an audio version of the material which will definitely be human read.

In terms of going through the material itself, you can use NVDA however you have it set up - if you have NVDA setup with one of the add on voices then by all means use it with that, if you have it newly installed using eSpeak that is fine too.  We deliberately placed the section on navigating the synthesizer dialog very early on so that if you would like to be able to change the voice, you can do that as soon as possible as you work through the material.

In general the activities are setup based on the default setup of NVDA, but particularly when looking at voices and some of the other things many people like to change it does usually note what may be different for you.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Christo,

Great to hear from you and thanks for reaching out.  This is something we'll need to chat further about but I will write to you off list and we'll get some dialog going.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Christo Vorster <christo.vorster@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Heaven,

We haven't got the certification ready yet, so we'll post more details about the exact format later.  For now, what I can say is that if you have a good understanding of most of what is in the Basic Training for NVDA book you will be in good stead for the certification.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your kind words!

I would say in kind that if you have an iPhone or Android phone do check out Woodside Apps' offerings as they are made with great care and attention to detail and to accessibility.

Kind regards

Quentin.

wrote:

[...]

Hi Ollie,

Thank you, and yes it is a pleasure to be involved in such a fantastic project and with such a wonderful team!

I see from your other message you got the download working which is great too.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
[...]

Ciao Quentin,

Yes, everyng's ok with the download now.

I've just fnished translating the quick guide for the Soft Braille Keyboard...
It seems I have a special tie with Australiathese days...
Ciao,
Ollie

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org/>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Direct: +61 413 904 383
Twitter: @NVAccess

Mallard

I can confirm: Woodside apps are really great. It's so rewarding to use them...
Ciao,
Ollie

<quentin@... <mailto:quentin@...>>