Question about using NVDA with Duxbury products.

Afnan Nasir <afnan.nasir2000@...>

Hello, i hope that all are doing geat, well i've installed DBT (Duxbury Translator) to write braille, but unfortunately, NVDA is not providing spoken feedback while writing. i've also tried perkey duck by same author (Duxbury ) but results are same. can anyone guide me about the solution of it? i've tried it with jaws, and it is working fine, but i primarily use NVDA as a main screen reader, so i want to use it with NVDA. any help would be much appreciated.

Steve Nutt

Hi,

This is because JAWS provides a script for Duxbury. Ironically an app for the blind is not natively accessible, this is strange to me.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Chris Smart

Since NVDA is open source, it's probably more up to the community to come up with an add-on for a given program.

Hello, i hope that all are doing geat, well i've installed DBT (Duxbury Translator) to write braille, but unfortunately, NVDA is not providing spoken feedback while writing. i've also tried perkey duck by same author (Duxbury ) but results are same. can anyone guide me about the solution of it? i've tried it with jaws, and it is working fine, but i primarily use NVDA as a main screen reader, so i want to use it with NVDA. any help would be much appreciated.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Howard Traxler

I have an older Duxbury, version 10.4.  It works fine with the current version of NVDA.  All aspects seem to talk as they should.

Howard

On 1/19/2022 7:41 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
Since NVDA is open source, it's probably more up to the community to come up with an add-on for a given program.

Hello, i hope that all are doing geat, well i've installed DBT (Duxbury Translator) to write braille, but unfortunately, NVDA is not providing spoken feedback while writing. i've also tried perkey duck by same author (Duxbury ) but results are same. can anyone guide me about the solution of it? i've tried it with jaws, and it is working fine, but i primarily use NVDA as a main screen reader, so i want to use it with NVDA. any help would be much appreciated.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

I do not remember which version I have but nothing reads using NVDA. It comes out senseless. I cannot read the Braille code like Window Eyes did.

On 1/19/2022 9:07 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

Well that's weird, because, Duxbury themselves wrote the JAWS script.

If you want it badly enough, contact Duxbury.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 4PW
T: +44(0)1438-742286
M: +44(0)7956-334938
F: +44(0)1438-759589
E: steve@...

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Well that's weird, because, Duxbury themselves wrote the JAWS script.
-
It's really not that weird.  To this day, because JAWS was "first to market" (or at least "first to successfully market") it predominates the screen reader market, particularly in business settings.

When companies are choosing to do custom work for one screen reader, that screen reader will almost invariably be JAWS.

It's an accident of history that's still supported by user base size in professional and educational environments.

None of the above should be taken as any comment on the quality of competitors of JAWS.  It's simply a fact of both history and the present situation as far as market share.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)