NVDA Not Talking

Steven Hicks

Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Jackie

Hi, Steven. Just because there's speech at logon does not mean there
will be speech once the computer has started. Both options need to be
checked in 'Preferences > Settings > General'. Specifically:
"Start NVDA after I sign in" needs to be checked.

On 1/25/22, Steven Hicks <hickser@...> wrote:
Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on,
there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA
is
running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no
speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload
NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to
have
happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

John Isige

Also, you might have speech mode set to beeps somehow, that's what the high-pitched noise makes me think of. Hit NVDA-s, and speech mode will toggle between talk, beeps, and off.

My other thought is that NVDA is picking another sound card/device that's not what you're listening through. If you've got another sound device with an output hooked up, some USB microphones have headphone jacks for example, try hooking up to that and see if NVDA's coming through it. If so, you can hit ctrl-NVDA-s to get into the synthesizer settings, and change the sound device from in there.

On 1/25/2022 11:03 PM, Jackie wrote:
[...]

Arlene

That is strange. Do you have NVDA run as your primairy screen reader?  You might want to check NVDA’S  settings. You must have run a muck when you installed it.

Sent from Mail for Windows

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Sounds like you might not have nvda start when windows does after logging in to windows.

If that is the case use the alt key + ctrl key + the letter N. If you then hear a musical sound then it starts talking you will need to check under settings start nvda when windows starts or some thing like that under the general settings in nvda.

The other option thaht comes to mind is the synth you are using.

sorta makes it hard with no speech. If you know nvda is running but not talking use the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter S to bring up the synthesizer settings it might be set to no sppech? or a buggy synth.

If this is the case wile the synth settings is open use the letter E to get you up to E speak or W to get you to windows one core voices. If it speak correctly then tab down to the apply or ok button.

Hopefully that should do the trick.

Gene nz

On 26/01/2022 5:58 pm, Steven Hicks wrote:

Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

When NVDA first starts you are able to use Narrator to set up things. I found this out just days ago. The real problem once NVDA is installed is getting into the synthesizer settings and choose one you want and pick a voice. Then there are settings which you need to set before you get to the end and press OK
In actual use the setting for talking is set to none at start up until you tell it different. Good Luck.
Marilyn

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Steven, you could also try fire up something like narrator to see what is showing up when you then activate NVDA menu, and, there, maybe check what synthesizer is selected - NVDA + ctrl + S should bring up synthesizer dialogue, where you could try selecting another one, and, where you can also check selected audio output device?

Besides that, try hitting NVDA + ctrl + R to reset preferences to factory defaults?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

On 2022-01-26 06:58 AM, Steven Hicks wrote:

Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Sarah k Alawami

Huh? Mine came up talking, I did not need narrator to set it up once I ran the installer. I had one core for my synth upon installing nvda.

[...]

Gene

That shouldn't be the initial setting.  If it were, you would have to use another synthesizer to make it talk after installation.  We would have seen no end of complaints from people who installed NVDA and had no speech  if that were the case.  You can check the speech setting with the command NVDA key s.  Whether you have speech set to speak or none or beep, every time you issue the command, NVDA will talk.  It will tell you what you are setting speech to.  It will say speech mode off, speech mode beeps, or speech mode talk.

Gene

On 1/26/2022 12:22 AM, Marilyn and Don Bilderback wrote:
[...]

.

Steven Hicks

Yes, even if I start it after logon manually, it appears to load but there is no speech.
I know it is running as when you do NVDA+q, you receive the quit screen.

[...]

Thanks, I tried that an nothing happened.

[...]

I believe this was suggested yesterday but I saw no response as to whether this applies.  Do you have more than one sound card? When NVDA is running, run another screen-reader, open synthesizer settings and see what voice is selected.  If you are using more than one sound card, tab to see what the output is.

Try another synthesizer.  You can run more than one screen-reader at once.  If you try another one and you get speech, you will get speech from both screen--readers at once.  Close one screen-reader,.

While I doubt this is the cause of the problem, the first thing to try is NVDA key s.  Do you hear any speech saying anything like speech mode on, speech mode off or speech mode beeps?  If you don't hear anything after executing the command once, execute it two more times to be back where you started from.

Gene

On 1/26/2022 2:53 PM, Steven Hicks wrote:
[...]

So evidently the NVDA key control s didn't accomplish anything.

Let's not neglect the obvious.  With another screen-reader running, open the voice settings, control NVDA key v, and tab to the volume setting.  Is it correct?

Open the Windows volume control and tab to the NVDA volume setting there.  Having the NVDA volume set within NVDA is completely independent of the Windows volume control setting. Check with another screen-reader running at the same time as NVDA, to see what the Windows volume control setting is.  On my Windows 7 machine, the setting is somewhere around 8.  I doubt that higher versions of Windows would use a setting that is different or much different.

In NVDA itself, the default volume level may differ a lot from synthesizer to synthesizer.  I wouldn't recommend a level but see if it is reasonable, between about 40 and 90 roughly.

Gene

On 1/26/2022 2:54 PM, Steven Hicks wrote:
[...]

Ok, Steven, so we're now into serious troubleshooting mode, which
means we need a lot more info from you.
1) Version of Windows, ie, 7, 8, 10, 11, as well as build version. You
can get this info by running the winver command & copying/pasting its
output.
2) Sound cards on the machine, including any usb &/or bluetooth.
3) Could you please disable Jaws startup if not already done.
4) Please start NVDA. Does any sound play when starting?
5) Please turn on Narrator.
6) Please press windows key+r, then type sndvol & press enter.
7) Check your speaker volume to ensure it's at proper level, ie, not
0. Also check to ensure your speakers are not muted. Lastly, check to
see that the volume for NVDA is not too low or muted.
8) Ensure NVDA is running, then pres NVDA+ctrl+s. Now perhaps try
changing the audio output device.

There is another setting you may wish to check in control panel. This
is assuming Windows 10, your OS will likely differ. Go to the sound
aplet in Control panel.
9) Down arrow to the device NVDA is on.
10) Press tab until you hear properties & activate w/spacebar/enter.
11 Press ctrl tab to the advanced tab page.
12 Tab to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this
device" & ensure it's unchecked.

Let's see where we're at.

On 1/26/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

to:
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

.

Pele West

Hi Everyone

I apologise in advance, I have not been following this thread, but today when I powered up my desktop PC NVDA would not speak. Fortunately I have a braille display.

I updated the NVDA Global Extension addon yesterday, so disabled it and when I restarted NVDA the speech came back.

Does anyone know why the latest version of NVDA Global Extension should cause speech to stop working?

Thanks

Pele West

bering.p

Hi,
Please send me, in private and attached file, the nvda log with log level set to debug.
Thanks.
Best regards.
Paul.
Le 27/01/2022 11:34, Pele West a écrit :

Hi Everyone

I apologise in advance, I have not been following this thread, but today
when I powered up my desktop PC NVDA would not speak. Fortunately I have
a braille display.

I updated the NVDA Global Extension addon yesterday, so disabled it and
when I restarted NVDA the speech came back.

Does anyone know why the latest version of NVDA Global Extension should
cause speech to stop working?

Thanks

Pele West

Steven Hicks

Thanks so much to everyone, now sorted it.

Uninstalled NVDA, re-installed but still had the issue.

I Used Narrator while NVDA was running, used NVDA+CTRL+S, no speech was set and I had to change the synthesiser to ESpeak.

Now working like a charm, thanks again all!

On 2022-01-26 06:58 AM, Steven Hicks wrote:

Hi friends,

I Have installed the latest NVDA on my laptop.

When I start up, there is speech at the logon screen but after logging on, there is nothing at all, no speech.

During the installation, there was no speech either which seems quite odd.

If I load up JAWS then I can use the NVDA+N and it would appear that NVDA is running.

I Use NVDA+Q and JAWS will read the NVDA quit screen but again, there is no speech from NVDA itself.

When I type, there is a high pitched sound for some reason until I unload NVDA.

I Tried uninstalling NVDA and re-installing but the same thing seems to have happened afterwards.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Louise Pfau

Hi.  How did it get set to no speech, in case someone else comes across this?

Louise

Marilyn and Don Bilderback

What a relief, right? I hate to brag, but I sent those instructions on Tuesday evening. Right away, someone said I was wrong. And I guess you didn’t want to investigate anyway. Smile. You could have saved hours of frustration if you had trusted me. I had just gone through installing a new copy of NVDA and that is what steps I had to do. I even had a pair of working eyes helping me and that is what it said to do. I can’t help what used to be the protocol but I just followed what the computer said. Anyhow, glad to have you added to the working NVDA population. Marilyn

I have added below the Email I sent with the steps I took, so you can perhaps remember the post.
'''''''''''''''''

Nvda.nvda@groups.io

When NVDA first starts you are able to use Narrator to set up things. I found this out just days ago. The real problem once NVDA is installed is getting into the synthesizer settings and choose one you want and pick a voice. Then there are settings which you need to set before you get to the end and press OK
In actual use the setting for talking is set to none at start up until you tell it different. Good Luck.
Marilyn

Also, this message followed refuting my claim

nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steven Hicks
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 10:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Thanks so much to everyone, now sorted it.
Uninstalled NVDA, re-installed but still had the issue.
I Used Narrator while NVDA was running, used NVDA+CTRL+S, no speech was set and I had to change the synthesiser to ESpeak.
Now working like a charm, thanks again all!

Gene

Your experience may have been that speech was off but that is definitely not typical or expected behavior.  I can understand someone being skeptical, but at the same time, I think it is a good idea to check, just in case.  Odd and unexpected things can happen.  But if that were the typical behavior, there would be no end of complaints and questions from people who don't have speech.  NVDA should talk after installation.  Not to do so would make it inaccessible after installation.

Gene