The mouse tracking function

Hello. A member of the NVDA Romanian Community says that the mouse
tracking function is buggy, that it lags and he can't do his work at his
university. He is even willing to donate to help you speed up / solve
this bug. Please tell me any other info I should ask him. I don't use
the mouse so I can't give you more info.
Cheers,
Florian

Quentin Christensen

Hi Florian,

If you could get extra info that would be fantastic please.  What would really help is:
- Does this happen in a particular program (which one?) or is it constant regardless of what is running?
- What Windows version, NVDA version and version of affected program (if relevant) is he using?
- Lags / slow, I can understand.  Can he give more clarification on "the tracking function is buggy"?  If it's just that it's slow, but it's reading all the right things, that's good to know, but if it's reading the wrong things or not reading information it should, that would be really helpful, particularly with example websites / programs / steps to reproduce.
- Anything else that can help us reproduce exactly what he is experiencing.

If it is really slow, a log file may help.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Adriani Botez

Dear Florian,

maybe the Cursor Speed is set on a low value in Windows Settings. When he moves the mouse, is the movement of the Cursor slow? Or is the mouse Cursor fast but  the speech is slow?

Best
Adriani

Hello, I've received some info from the user:
This happen in web browser, especially in Google Chrome, in web apps such as Moodle or in certain Wordpress themes. Due to this problem, he can't upload files.
He uses Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 64-bit version, , NVDA 2017.4 and the latest version of Chrome.
The content is partially read. For example, if a link is on two rows in a table, NVDA reads the first row only when he moves the mouse to it, though he has set NVDA to read paragraphs.
Regarding the lag, this happens mainly when the laptop's battery isn't charging. For example, if I press a key command, it is read with a delay. This applies to any synthesizer he uses.

La 24.01.2018 14:10, Quentin Christensen a scris:

[...]

Hello,

regarding the issue where the mouse is set on paragraphs but NVDA read only a line, we have some users in Germany who reported this issue as well. NVDA reads a smaller part of a line, the higher the zoom factor is. But I think this is related to the browser and the way how the browser change formatting when increasing the zoom factor. I don’t think it is related to NVDA.

The second thing about delay when pressing a key command could be related to sound card settings. In some cases, when the battery is not charging, sound cards change to standby. This is the case after 3 or 4 seconds of silence. The sound is being activated again when pressing any key because the screen reader sends a signal to the sound card.

I think however that it is related to power settings. Tel him he should start an audio file and turn the volume to zero in the audio program (i.e. Winamp). Is the delay still occurring?

[...]

With regard to not reading paragraphs with mouse over correctly in Chrome, this is a known issue and there are several tickets open for this in our issue tracker.  Here is one: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2160

It's not one I commented on, but I recall doing quite a bit of research on this issue last year and documenting it on obviously a different issue.

Re the lag, particularly when the laptop is not charging, that sounds like a power setting.  Windows 10 particularly is very aggressive at power saving, which is great in terms of making the battery last longer, but particular for NVDA users, we have found that it often throttles things which affect NVDA working properly and in particular, makes NVDA very sluggish.  The best option for NVDA is to go into Windows' power settings and choose "always on".

Kind regards

Quentin.