Input Gesture Dialog

Glenn / Lenny

Hello,
I read through a bunch of the on-line NVDA help pages for how to get to the input gestures dialog.
There are dozens and dozens of references with links for it, but nothing on how to access it.
I turned on the screen curtain, which is what I want, but I want to assign a shortcut to turn it off if I need to.
I turned keyboard help and tried every key I could imagine to see if there was already a keyboard shortcut assigned, but could not find one.
I did not get an input gesture dialog when turning it on.
This is in windows 10.
Thanks for suggestions.

Glenn

Gene

It is often more efficient to look through the NVDA menus to find something like this.  Remember that you are not dealing with settings, as would generally be defined.  Settings are often preferences and that explains why settings is a submenu  in preferences.  You are not dealing with settings as generally defined.  but you are dealing with preferences.  It is a preference if you want to redefine a key.  So open the `NVBA main menu, then open preferences and down arrow through what is there.  You will find it.

I would imagine that it could be argued that these are settings, but however you think of them, you will generally find such things looking through menus and submenus.

Another example is Manage Add-ons.  That is in the tools menu.

I hope this discussion saves some or many people time when looking for things.

Gene

On 1/27/2022 3:54 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
Hello,
I read through a bunch of the on-line NVDA help pages for how to get to the input gestures dialog.
There are dozens and dozens of references with links for it, but nothing on how to access it.
I turned on the screen curtain, which is what I want, but I want to assign a shortcut to turn it off if I need to.
I turned keyboard help and tried every key I could imagine to see if there was already a keyboard shortcut assigned, but could not find one.
I did not get an input gesture dialog when turning it on.
This is in windows 10.
Thanks for suggestions.

Glenn

Jackie

Go to preferences > settings > input gestures. Expand the categories
treeview to see the various keys assigned w/right arrow, collapse it
w/left.

On 1/27/22, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:
Hello,
I read through a bunch of the on-line NVDA help pages for how to get to the
input gestures dialog.
There are dozens and dozens of references with links for it, but nothing on
how to access it.
I turned on the screen curtain, which is what I want, but I want to assign a
shortcut to turn it off if I need to.
I turned keyboard help and tried every key I could imagine to see if there
was already a keyboard shortcut assigned, but could not find one.
I did not get an input gesture dialog when turning it on.
This is in windows 10.
Thanks for suggestions.

Glenn

Jackie

&, btw, if you go to the preferences > help menu > user guide (u) &
press enter, then search for input gestures, the link pops up on the
screen for you to activate. There's all sorts of info in there, & it's
a well-organized, well-thought out document, well worth consulting
IMO.

On 1/27/22, Jackie via groups.io <abletec@...> wrote:
[...]

I want to point out that I didn't think about all this in detail until the question was asked today.  I might look somewhere if I thought something was more likely to be there, but if it wasn't, then I would look other places.

Gene

On 1/27/2022 4:09 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Hi Glenn,

I wrote a piece for In-Process just for you when we launched it: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-19th-february-2020/#ScreenCurtain (OK not just for you, but it does address the exact question you are asking).

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen