where to get addon's

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 03:51 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
In summary, in my capacity as an add-on author and a former leader of NVDA add-ons community (I am the immediate past administrator of NVDA Add-ons mailing list), I can assure everyone that the second link remains the official add-ons repository and should be consulted first before looking at other sources of add-ons.
-
Joseph,

Your comments about "what's official" are not what I'm questioning.  But if this is the technique, we're right back to square one as far as NVDA users finding only "officially vetted" add-ons in the first repository.  I have raised this issue again and again and again, seemingly to no avail.

This is, and has long been, a problem and there are constant questions asking, "Where do I get {insert add-on here}?," where that add-on is not officially vetted.

I stand by my assertion if someone does not know whether a given add-on exists, they are much better off using the NVDA Add-Ons Directory as their first place to check.  If it's an officially vetted add-on, you end up directed to it.  If it's someone's "home grown" add-on, you can still find most of them (or perhaps just a lot of them) in the Directory that are not present in the community add-ons page.

It should be considered the NVDA Add-On Store "Lite" hosted by the NVDA Spanish Association at the present time.  Whether it's officially approved or not, it's still a starting point that's more likely to produce a find for anything that is not an officially vetted add-on.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Hi all,

Nope - the second link is THE official add-ons community repository. As pointed out by Rui, the first link is managed by Spanish NVDA community. Due to this, the second link is always considered the official repository, or in this instance, first among equals as far as add-on repos are concerned (the repository maintained by the Spanish community includes add-ons not included in the international repository, but as far as official standing is concerned, the international repo takes priority).

The story of how this came to be is a bit complicated, but to provide a layman's explanation, it can be traced to discussions surrounding add-on review process and add-on sources. Add-on reviews are done prior to the add-on being listed in repositories such as international repository. Since these reviews are done by volunteers, it takes time to get something posted and reviewed, although I would say things have improved a bit recently.

Another issue is add-on sources. In addition to the two repositories described, there was another source of add-ons which shall not be named as it hosts an add-on that is forbidden to be discussed. Since that repo contained some add-ons not listed in the international community, coupled with the discussion surrounding review process for international repository, a group of Spanish-speaking community members decided to create a new repository, hence the first link was born.

Speaking of add-on sources, the goal of NV Access and the add-ons community is to host a database of add-ons under one roof. Dubbed "NVDA Add-on Store", the idea is to let add-on authors to submit add-ons for community distribution via GitHub. A "preliminary version" exists in the form of add-on files repository, but it has one major limitation: human reviews are required, delaying update distribution (this is the reason why I keep saying that add-ons are being queued for distribution). The goal of the new "add-on store" (being researched; ask me privately) is to let authors post add-ons and have them included in the database automatically (with some automated checks and code review).

As for what Brian noted regarding closing the second website: that's not happening anytime soon. NV Access and the add-ons community agree that the community add-ons website should be "reborn from its ashes". This is because the bulk of the add-ons website was, and still is, maintained by a group of volunteers who bring NVDA translations and localization to you. For some time NV Access and the add-ons community felt it is time to separate add-ons infrastructure (including the website) from translation work. Regardless of that, the consensus in the community is that we need to invest in rewriting the add-ons distribution website from scratch to add features such as reviews by users.

In summary, in my capacity as an add-on author and a former leader of NVDA add-ons community (I am the immediate past administrator of NVDA Add-ons mailing list), I can assure everyone that the second link remains the official add-ons repository and should be consulted first before looking at other sources of add-ons.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 03:03 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

The first link is not, again, is not, "The Official NVDA Add-Ons Starting Point"!

-
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.  The evolution of that site, regardless of who is actually running it, has been discussed, at length, on this group and on the NVDA Add-Ons group, too.

It is intended as the de facto portal for all NVDA add-ons.  If you want to find an NVDA Add-On, whether an officially vetted one or one of the many that have been created by users, that site is where you should start your search, plain and simple.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Rui Fontes

Hello!

The first link is not, again, is not, "The Official NVDA Add-Ons Starting Point"!

This link, as stated in the main page is owned by the NVDA spanish association:

NVDA Spanish-speaking Community

Association logo linked to the site's home page
NVDA Add-ons Directory

The largest international NVDA add-ons store available on the web

It is a NVDA add-on store not managed by NV Access, but a spanish association.

The add-ons are reviewd before being published, then  is so secure as the NV Access store.

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 19:47 de 28/01/2022, Brian Vogel escreveu:

The NVDA Add-Ons Directory, which uses the first link you gave, is now The Official NVDA Add-Ons Starting Point.

The second, which used to be that starting point, is slated to eventually be phased out, but is still a part of the mix until all the bits are in place to drop it.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Don H

OK thanks.

On 1/28/2022 1:47 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
The NVDA Add-Ons Directory <https://nvda-addons.org>, which uses the
first link you gave, is now /The Official NVDA Add-Ons Starting Point/.

The second, which used to be that starting point, is slated to
eventually be phased out, but is still a part of the mix until all the
bits are in place to drop it.

*/The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting
for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what
these ideals are./*

*/       ~/*Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

The NVDA Add-Ons Directory, which uses the first link you gave, is now The Official NVDA Add-Ons Starting Point.

The second, which used to be that starting point, is slated to eventually be phased out, but is still a part of the mix until all the bits are in place to drop it.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Don H

With regards to getting NVDA addon's I know of at least two web sites which I have provided below. What are the differences between these two sites and which one should I use? The second web site is where you are taken if you select get addons under the NVDA tools/manage addons in the NVDA UI.
Thanks
https://nvda-addons.org/
https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html