From: Don H
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:59 PM
Subject: [nvda] Firefox 58

If I use google and go to www.mozilla.com  a web page comes up that
seems to have no way to access it.  If you try to tab or use any of the
hot keys to move around the screen the only thing NVDA says is download
firefox.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks

Gene

I should have said, do a Google search to make sure that you are going to the correct site.  Check the address displayed for the site in the result you are going to go to to make sure the address is correct.  In other words, just because a Google result shows a site that looks like the one you want, without checking the address displayed below the link to go to the page, you can't be sure if it is correct or a site put up by a phisher or a malware distributor.  In otherwords, if you search for Mozilla or download firefox, or whatever and you are looking at a result you want to follow the link for, check the link.  If the link is different in some way, mozilla but spelled with one l, or something else not correct or expected that isn't the real site.  for a well known site like Mozilla, this is unlikely to happen.  Google shows results based on popularity and the real site is very likely to come up.  But you should check addresses to be sure.

Your message cannot be answered as written.  My guess about what you are doing can be discussed.  for one thing, what do you mean you are using Google.  Google is a search engine.  Google Chrome is a browser.  If you typed something like Mozilla into Google, you wouldn't get Mozilla.com.  The first result would be for the Mozilla web site which has an org extension.  My guess is that you are using Google Chrome and that you typed http://www.mozilla.com into the address field and went there.  That is not Mozilla.  If you type an address and are taken somewhere that doesn't look right or is unexpected, then do a Google search to see what the actual address is.  And if you aren't absolutely sure of an address, don't go to it.  Search for the site you want using google.  There are malware distributors and phishers who purchase site names that are similar to the actual names of well known sites.  That's so that if people mistype because of a typographical error, they might be taken to a malicious site that may try to download malware onto the machine or try to get personal information from the person by looking like the real site and asking questions.  I'm not saying that mozilla.com is or isn't a malicious site, I don't know.  I'm saying that it is dangerous to go to addresses you aren't sure of.

seems to have no way to access it.  If you try to tab or use any of the
hot keys to move around the screen the only thing NVDA says is download
firefox.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks

Gene

If people don't know this, in a Google search or, I would think when doing a search with other search engines, the results have a link to the result, then if you down arrow, you will see the address the link leads to.  If it is a long address, part of the middle may not be shown but enough will be shown that you will know if it is the correct address.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Sometimes go to desktop and back fixes this sort of thing, sometimes it won't in my experience with it.
Not convinced yet on 58. I personally think they rushed out the new generation browser engine too soon and made people annoyed. I have a sighted friend who tells me it won't watch videos without weird colours and a kind of ghosting. I could not help as obviously I cannot see it but as 52 works for him problem solved for now.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

If I use google and go to www.mozilla.com a web page comes up that seems to have no way to access it. If you try to tab or use any of the hot keys to move around the screen the only thing NVDA says is download firefox. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
Thanks

Robert Mendoza

Yes, not sure what exactly to forced them to push to Firefox 58, though I have a fear after reading the blog they are almost reaching the timeline of 59 however, still not sure why they allow this aggressive action despite of the hurdle of the impact of cause of this so-called Firefox 58. The way I understand it they could have at least sort of regression to consider to fix the issue. And, by all means not sure exactly the QA allow this drastic tights of targetting the baseline of the mentioned version 58.

Robert Mendoza

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don H" <lmddh50@adams.net>