Opinions about adding an NVDA feature to jump directly to misspelled words

Gene

I was thinking today about a new feature that might speed up work a good deal when writing documents.  I generally don't use f7 spell check these days.  I read my messages before sending them and change flagged spelling errors, thus doing two things at once that I would do separately otherwise.

My proposal for a new feature, which I'd like comments about in terms of demand and feasibility is this:

There could be an NVDA command that moves to the next flagged misspelled word in a document.  Even if I read a document and hear a word flagged, the cursor is almost never on the word.  Its often at the beginning of the line and the misspelled word may take a lot of movement by word to get to.  If I could hear the flag, then issue the move to command, moving to the word could be sped up a lot most of the time.   As I think about it, this adds the equivalent to what a sighted person can do now.  A word is flagged, the sighted person can immediately move to or click on it, thus placing focus on it, and either manually correct it or use the context menu to do so.  Or a sighted person can do so later by seeing the flag, clicking on it, and correcting the word.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before.  I did a Google search and I didn't find a Github issue, though I didn't search Github directly.

Gene

Rui Fontes

Hello!

Where you compose your e-mails?

In Word and Outlook, in browse mode, w will move to next error...

Rui Fontes

Rui Fontes

Às 01:00 de 31/01/2022, Gene escreveu:

[...]

Thunderbird doesn't support browse mode when writing e-mail.  I don't know if browse mode is supported in any other e-mail programs with that command.

Gene

On 1/30/2022 7:08 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

AH, just like in mac os, put the  issue on github as if you do not the issue or suggestion does not exist.

[...]

Janet Brandly

Great idea. Window-Eyes used to have this feature and it was really quick and useful.

Janet

[...]

From what Rui has said, the function is already supported.

Why it does not work specifically in the Thunderbird message composition Window which, based on Gene's comments has no browse mode, is likely where the resolution lies.  And that likely depends on exactly why the current situation is as it is.  There are certain things that NVDA can't fix unless fixes are applied to the software it's using to access.  I have no idea whether that's the case here or not, just a general observation.

Sarah is also right that unless there is an issue in GitHub that addresses this then, from a development standpoint, the issue does not exist. Having taken a look with the filters
is:issue is:open Thunderbird compose
doesn't turn up anything that looks at all related.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Gene

NVDA announces flagged misspellings.  If it can announce them, it can be made to move focus to them.

The flagging is done by the program being used and NVDA is aware of those flags.

Gene

On 1/31/2022 12:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
>From what Rui has said, the function is already supported.

Why it does not work specifically in the Thunderbird message composition Window which, based on Gene's comments has no browse mode, is likely where the resolution lies.  And that likely depends on exactly why the current situation is as it is.  There are certain things that NVDA can't fix unless fixes are applied to the software it's using to access.  I have no idea whether that's the case here or not, just a general observation.

Sarah is also right that unless there is an issue in GitHub that addresses this then, from a development standpoint, the issue does not exist. Having taken a look with the filters
is:issue is:open Thunderbird compose
doesn't turn up anything that looks at all related.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Somehow Gene's and Janet's respective responses on this topic got "injected into" the one on NVDA and Voices by accident.  I've since removed that from the archive.

Curtis D posted the following, in that topic as a result of that injection, which has been removed there, but I'm placing here so that his comment remains:  that is one FANTASTIC" (shouted) idea. How many a thousand times has this been an issue in writing or correcting, etc.

Please see the reply of Rui Fontes, message , and my reply, message  .  This function appears to already exist, just not in the Thunderbird compose window.  How to get it extended to Thunderbird compose is the question.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 01:30 PM, Gene wrote:
The flagging is done by the program being used and NVDA is aware of those flags.
-
Then, Gene, make the request, formally.  It ain't gonna happen otherwise, and it may take a while even once on record.

What appears superficially to be "the same thing" (and, from a human perspective, actually is the same thing) is often anything but at the coding level.

Who knows, you could get your desired result in one of the upcoming 2022 releases?

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Gene

I submitted it just a bit ago.  Those interested may read and comment on the proposal here:

On 1/31/2022 12:36 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 01:30 PM, Gene wrote:
The flagging is done by the program being used and NVDA is aware of those flags.
-
Then, Gene, make the request, formally.  It ain't gonna happen otherwise, and it may take a while even once on record.

What appears superficially to be "the same thing" (and, from a human perspective, actually is the same thing) is often anything but at the coding level.

Who knows, you could get your desired result in one of the upcoming 2022 releases?

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Arlene

Go for it! I use it a lot. Jaws has that feature.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Hello All,

I have retitled this topic to be very specific about the feature.  I also commend Gene for opening an issue for this in GitHub.  He wrote:
--

Those interested may read and comment on the proposal here:

That's precisely what those who wish to see any given feature come into existence should do.  The more comments of interest, the more likely something is to eventually gain traction and end up in the development pipeline.  If you do not have a GitHub account, and wish to create one just for the purpose of adding comments, then see my tutorial, Creating a Github Account.

Be aware that comments will not always be in support of a given request.  The commenting mechanism is for giving input, whether support or reservations.  I wouldn't imagine there could be many reservations in this case, I just don't want people to think if you read through the comments on any given issue that what you're going to see is nothing but support.  On many occasions all sorts of implications of a given change are fleshed out by back and forth comments.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Hi all,

As a follow-up: if I get a chance this week, I plan to post a "how to" guide on creating more effective NVDA issues on GitHub (I know that folks have already posted something like this, but I plan to bring in what NVDA developers are actually looking for).

Cheers,

Joseph

Abbie Taylor

I think this is a great idea. I also use Thunderbird and have to jump through hoops to find flagged misspelled words unless I'm using Braille. This is also true in Chrome. If such a command were implemented, it could be used in Thunderbird and other applications that don't support the other command.

Steve Nutt

Hi Gene,

This is another feature that JAWS already has, prior and next misspelling.

It’s a great feature.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Put it on the github if it is not already there, otherwise that feature suggestion won’t exist, and it will get lost here. then those of us who are on ther can react with a thumbs up or down if we feel it is a priority for devs or not.

[...]

I have submitted this request as a Github issue.  Those interested in seeing how I ;present the issue and commenting may do so on this page:

On 2/9/2022 10:15 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

[...]

Closed as a duplicate of an earlier issue raised by the same person. I beg you, please search for existing issues before filing a new one.

Cheers,

Joseph

Janet Brandly

Hello,

I would really like to see this feature added to NVDA. The spellcheck in Word is slow and clunky and it now has an editing feature which I’m not sure how to disable. Window-Eyes used to use alt-period and alt-comma for this and it worked very well.

Janet

[...]

I had created an issue about a week ago.  I have been somewhat preoccupied  recently and I forgot.  I'm sorry about the duplication.  I'm sure I checked before creating the first issue and didn't fine one.

I'm sorry about the duplication.

I hope those interested in seeing this issue adopted go to the original issue page, register, and express support.  So far, the issue has gotten only one or perhaps two positive responses.  That doesn't mean the developers won't consider it, but they will be more likely to with meaningful support.

You can see the topic here:

Hi,