select and copy not working

Monte Single

Hi list,

Here is a new one for me.

I’m using current versions of nvda with win10 21h2, and office 2016.

In the last day or so, when I try to select and copy or delete something in wordpad, word, or outlook,  the select function  does not wor, and thus, I cannot copy or delete or paste.

As this is happening in more than one application,  maybe I have broken something in nvda?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers,

mont

Jackie

Monte, NVDA doesn't select, delete, etc. All it does is speak.

So--let's perhaps try selecting, then copying or deleting that
selection. If it is that you can actually do that, then NVDA isn't
speaking your selection, but the selection is actually being
accomplished. If, on the other hand, the selection is neither copied
nor deleted, then my suspicion is that something in your Office app
broke somewhere along the line.

It's important to figure out which we're dealing with here for a
variety of reasons, the most important of which is to figure out where
troubleshooting efforts should focus.

On 2/5/22, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
Hi list,

Here is a new one for me.

I'm using current versions of nvda with win10 21h2, and office 2016.

In the last day or so, when I try to select and copy or delete something in
wordpad, word, or outlook, the select function does not wor, and thus, I
cannot copy or delete or paste.

As this is happening in more than one application, maybe I have broken
something in nvda?

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers,

mont

If, and I do mean if, you happen to have someone sighted around who uses a computer, the fastest way to determine whether selection is somehow broken is to have them take a look while you're doing it.  What shows up on the screen as a result of "selection by keyboard" is indistinguishable to what shows up for either "swipe over" text selection or point and click mouse selection.

I see no point in anyone doing independent troubleshooting that can, and sometimes does, take hours if you happen to have someone you can call over to "take a quick look" and have an instant answer.

I know that not every reader here has that luxury, but those that do should not view asking for a "quick check" as dependence, but efficiency and "working smarter, not harder."

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

But if the selection is copied or deleted, then don't we know it's
working, Brian V? Or, as is likely, am I missing something completely
obvious?

[...]

It is possible that something in NVDA is interfering with these functions.  did you do the first thing to try when such odd problems occur, reboot?  I've had rare instances where a screen-reader would cause a problem like this and either unloading and running the screen-reader again and/or rebooting solved it.

If it doesn't solve it, test the functions using a different screen-reader.  At this point, we don't know if the screen-reader has anything to do with the problem.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 05:02 PM, Jackie wrote:
But if the selection is copied or deleted, then don't we know it's
working, Brian V?
-
If we know that, we do know it's working.  But based on the original description, there remain a number of "known unknowns."

But my general point really is that when weird stuff like this occurs, if you have a friendly set of functional eyes at your disposal, call on them.  I have noted, over time, that the desire for independence, which is absolutely laudable, often "overextends itself" when it comes to troubleshooting.  Yes, you will eventually reach certain conclusions without sight, and I'm not claiming you can't or won't, but when people are having difficulty with basic functions that have always worked, that set of eyes will very often recognize what's amiss very, very quickly, which is of inestimable value when troubleshooting.

I have often said of myself, in reference to my participation here, that I believe my own value added is that I can see what's happening at the same time as doing by screen reader and/or keyboard shortcuts otherwise.  When something's "off" I tend to recognize what on sight, and most sighted computer users can do the same for you when they're available and something weird is going on.  There should be no shame in asking for a quick look-see by someone who can literally look and see for the purpose of troubleshooting of all types.  I just see little value in hours of struggle and, more importantly, frustration.  The more frustrated one gets the farther away from a solution one tends to get, too.  And I know whereof I speak in that regard, and it's not limited to computing or screen readers, either.

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

Jackie

I get that & agree. Sometimes, though, you gotta go through some
polemics, as in, if I wanted to know if something was selected, I'd
usually have to ask Karl if it had turned all blue, as that would be
what he'd understand. If one knows the language of computers but
doesn't know the language that an average sighted person might require
to understand your request, it can get interesting :). I mean, w/you,
I could ask if it were highlighted or selected, etc, but at other
times, my descriptions may have to vary.

[...]

I didn't state that properly.  You can't tell if select is working by just  checking what is on the screen.  I was thinking about cutting and pasting.  I believe NVDA has a command to read the selected text, but I don't recall it.  However, if you are moving and selecting and you don't hear NVDA say selected as you move, that is a good indication that selecting is likely not working.  But whether NVDA itself is interfering with selecting or if it just isn't saying select when it should and selecting is occurring may not be able to be known definitely.  But if you move and copy something to the clipboard and it is there, selection must have worked, or if you select and delete.

and of course, as I said, you can try things like select and delete or copy to clipboard with another screen-reader.  But whatever you do, I would first unload NVDA and run it again and/or reboot.

If you can't copy or delete what you intend to select using more than one screen-reader, then it is very unlikely that the screen-readers are the problem and you aren't hearing select because nothing is actually being selected.

Gene

On 2/5/2022 4:03 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I have no objection to asking if it would make a meaningful difference but in this case, there are simple things that can be tried first, such as rebooting.  I don't think asking for help and not doing these simple things is a good idea because what you are doing is not time consuming and because if people aren't in the habit of doing such things, it is better to reinforce that procedure.

Gene

On 2/5/2022 4:12 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

Hi Jackie,

After a little plying around, wherein, I di find the select feature was,indeed, not working in any text application, I decided to test the shift keys.
I found the left shift key was not working, but the right shift key was.
I removed the left shift key, shook and blew some non-cosmic debris from the left shift key seat.
Then, after a few tries, I reseated the shift key and now all is well.

As I have a spill-proof beverage container at my work station, spilled liquids are not a problem; it is all those little toast and cracker crumbs.

Sorry for the unscheduled intermission, and now back to our regular programing.

Cheers,

mont

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 05:21 PM, Gene wrote:
You can't tell if select is working by just  checking what is on the screen.
-
Er, no.  Just no, unless it's a situation where a select was done and the source window closed.  That is so seldom the case that I don't presume it, ever.

If something is selected in a window that's visible, you do know.

And nothing I've said should be taken to short circuit any other troubleshooting steps.  I actually do presume that "the basics" will always, always, always be done.  Those include, based upon specific context:  shutting down (completely) the machine and powering up again,  restarting the machine, exiting a given application (including screen readers) and starting it up again.

Just as I presume that anyone reading here knows the basic Windows keyboard shortcuts for things like cut, copy, and paste without their needing to be stated, I take the same approach regarding basic troubleshooting steps.  In fact, unless the person asking is known to me to be a complete newbie, I'd never mention the basic steps until or unless something said suggests they were skipped - then the "mini rant" about not asking about problems until and unless you've tried at least those steps comes out.

In the case of NVDA, the bare minimum basic steps are:
1. Exiting NVDA and firing it up again.
2. If you have any add-ons whatsoever, restarting NVDA with Add-Ons disabled.

One of those two often either resolves the issue (#1) or gives you a direct pointer to where the fault lies (#2), and should be standard troubleshooting procedure that enters the "goes without saying" category.

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

Lol. Glad you got that solved. I've found toast, cracker crumbs, a paper clip, dunno how that got in there, Yes, I've been there with non working keys.

[...]

& you didn't notice letters not being capitalized, Monte? How does
*that* work, I wonder?

All I have to say is, that was pretty crummy of your keyboard to do that.

[...]

Maybe my caps are still not working.
What is the key command in nvda to turn the announcement of caps on and off?

[...]

Agreed. A pretty crummy experience. Hopefully things didn't crumble out of control. Sorry, I had to. Seriously, I’m glad you got the problem fixed.

[...]

Fortunately, I am not the cookie Mont Stir, or things could really fall apart!

[...]

The Gamages

Hello,

try making a selection and then copy it, move down the page a few lines and paste the contents of the clipboard, if you now have two examples of your selection, the selection process is working but not being spoken, if not you have a different challenge.

Sorry if my suggestion is a bit simplistic.

Best Regards, Jim.