can't get out of dialog when deleting large old items in Gmail

Dan Beaver

I am cleaning up a lot of old items and when I have gone through the process and the final dialog comes up I can't get out of it.  It just appears to be a blank dialog.  I can't tab or escape or find any other way to get out of that dialog.  I have to close down gmail and then go back in to delete more items or do anything else with Gmail.

Any ideas?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Dan,

What is the "final dialog" under discussion?

As an aside, I did write a tutorial about doing this a long while back: Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface

If you're using a technique that's not the same, this is another alternative.

I neither need nor want to be appeased, but apprised.  Inconvenient truth is preferable to convenient (for the liar) lies.

     ~ Brian Vogel

Dan Beaver

Brian and all,

I guess we can rack this one up to me getting old!  I did everything I could think of but never thought of back tabbing to get out of the dialog.  That now gets me back to the screen where I can select more emails to delete.  Wow, do I feel slow now.

Brian, I will look at your process and see if it is simpler than what I was using.

I was looking around while waiting for responses and found a very simple process  that lets you select all of the emails that are older than a specific time, whether it is days, months or even years, and then lets you delete all of them.  This was what I wanted to do and I just deleted over 8 thousand emails.  Yes, I did want to get rid of that many. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dan Beaver

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 04:22 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
I guess we can rack this one up to me getting old!
-
We all are, Dan, we all are!

My tutorial does not get into all of the various search criteria one can use in order to filter the messages being selected for deletion (or archiving, or whatever).  You've already done the research regarding how to structure the criteria you need for this circumstance.

I figure anyone who needs to know about Google's advanced search operations for Gmail can look that up when they need it just like I do.  I certainly have never memorized all of the options, I just know that a lot of advanced and esoteric ones exist that I might need once every few years, if that.  The determination of exactly how to get the correct messages to be acted upon is, as they say in academia, "left as an exercise for the reader."