A given letter is either capitalized (uppercase) or not (lowercase).  And acronyms can, of course, be words entirely in uppercase.

Are you asking whether you can make NVDA give a clear indication as to whether a given letter is uppercase/capital or not when reading letter by letter?

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Rui Fontes

Small caps is an attribute of the letter type...

Visually is like a capital letter but with the size of non capitalized letters...

You can set this attribute in the same place you set the underline, strike out and so on...

Rui Fontes

I, and I am sure others, are not sure what you mean by "small caps."

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 09:46 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Small caps is an attribute of the letter type...
-
Thanks.  When I open the full font dialog, which I virtually never do, I see it listed under the Effects section.

I don't think I've ever used this effect in all the years I've been using word, but once it's turned on I do see exactly what you mean and have seen it used.  I've generally stuck with the fonts that have this basic effect without turning it on, as there are a number of them where the lowercase letters are just smaller versions of the uppercase letters.  Another design arrow to add to my quiver.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Quentin Christensen

Just having a look it seems that no, NVDA does not identify small caps.  Having a look at our issues: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+small+caps I can't see one, at least not which mentions "small caps".

I have created an issue for this (and also "All caps" which was the other font attribute not reported): https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13419

For those wondering.  From my write up of the issue:
In Microsoft Word, select some text and press control+d to open font formatting.
Two options on this page are:

- Small caps (alt+m), Text appears the same size as usual, but all characters appear as uppercase ("lowercase" characters are smaller)
- All caps (alt+a), All text appears as if it was typed in uppercase, although internally the characters are still the case they were typed in (if you take off the "all caps" setting, the text will go back to the case it was typed in).

Kind regards

Quentin.

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

--