Clipspeak add-on for NVDA


Sarah
 

Hello,
I tried to install Clipspeak for my daughter's NVDA on new laptop, however was unable to get this to install due to having NVDA version 2021.3 and popup says it is not compatible.
Daughter found this very useful especially for copying and pasting as she is a full time student and has not been able to use Clipspeak since 2020 on her old laptop and I did try reaching out to developer only to have the email to bounce back the other day as pop up showed details to contact developer when trying to install it.
Is there a newer version that is not on the official add on website that works with the latest NVDA version or is there another add on we can use that is exactly the same or does very close to it so she can do her work independently?
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
Thank you 


 

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 10:29 AM, Sarah wrote:
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
-
As an aside, for those who are willing/able to put out "temporary workarounds" which generally employ manifest edits as the workaround, if you cannot host those permanently would you please reach out to me privately and allow me to host them and we can post them that way?

These "disappearing dropbox links" have proven very frustrating because they are disappearing in very short timeframes.  I understand that may be necessary, but if it is then using another method of putting these out there needs to be employed where the information is a bit less transient.  I'm offering to do that.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
         America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities,
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

 


Gene
 

There is a compatible version, which I have.  I believe an address for it will be posted, but if it isn't, I'll make mine available.


Gene

On 3/10/2022 9:07 AM, Sarah wrote:
Hello,
I tried to install Clipspeak for my daughter's NVDA on new laptop, however was unable to get this to install due to having NVDA version 2021.3 and popup says it is not compatible.
Daughter found this very useful especially for copying and pasting as she is a full time student and has not been able to use Clipspeak since 2020 on her old laptop and I did try reaching out to developer only to have the email to bounce back the other day as pop up showed details to contact developer when trying to install it.
Is there a newer version that is not on the official add on website that works with the latest NVDA version or is there another add on we can use that is exactly the same or does very close to it so she can do her work independently?
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
Thank you 


 

By the way, who is the actual author for the Clipspeak Add-On, and who is currently maintaining it.

The add-on directory indicates the author is Damien Sykes-Lindley, while the community add-on page says Damien Garwood.

The last compatible version of NVDA for "the official version" of Clipspeak was 2019.3.  Knowing whose cage to rattle about whether or not it is ever to be updated by them would be helpful.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
         America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities,
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

 


Sarah
 

Hello. Yes I believe the author states Damien Garwood on the addons website and the pop up of add on information on my daughter's laptop says Damien Sykes-Lindley with an email right next to it and this email address bounced back and I have a inkling they are of same person?
I reached out to Quentin of NVDA who kindly guided me to this forum and recommended I join and ask.

I would be seeing my daughter tomorrow evening and would love to have a solution to this issue or at the very least have a recommendation of a reliable add on extension we could install from the community add ons website that does exactly the same or very close at least so she can work very independently without having to stress about it.
Being a college student, not having the cllipspeak and the ability to know if she has successfully copied or pasted a work text she needs to complete her work has been very difficult and results in taking longer to complete her work.


Gene
 

Here is a link to download the add-on.  It will be available for seven days.

https://we.tl/t-xtBezzYCXr


Gene

On 3/10/2022 9:07 AM, Sarah wrote:
Hello,
I tried to install Clipspeak for my daughter's NVDA on new laptop, however was unable to get this to install due to having NVDA version 2021.3 and popup says it is not compatible.
Daughter found this very useful especially for copying and pasting as she is a full time student and has not been able to use Clipspeak since 2020 on her old laptop and I did try reaching out to developer only to have the email to bounce back the other day as pop up showed details to contact developer when trying to install it.
Is there a newer version that is not on the official add on website that works with the latest NVDA version or is there another add on we can use that is exactly the same or does very close to it so she can do her work independently?
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
Thank you 


Gene
 

There is another add-on that does this and a number of other things.  I don't know much of anything about it and you may now use whichever you want.  Someone else may present information about the other add-on if you want to look at the description and see if it does anything you are interested in.


Gene

On 3/10/2022 9:56 AM, Sarah wrote:
Hello. Yes I believe the author states Damien Garwood on the addons website and the pop up of add on information on my daughter's laptop says Damien Sykes-Lindley with an email right next to it and this email address bounced back and I have a inkling they are of same person?
I reached out to Quentin of NVDA who kindly guided me to this forum and recommended I join and ask.

I would be seeing my daughter tomorrow evening and would love to have a solution to this issue or at the very least have a recommendation of a reliable add on extension we could install from the community add ons website that does exactly the same or very close at least so she can work very independently without having to stress about it.
Being a college student, not having the cllipspeak and the ability to know if she has successfully copied or pasted a work text she needs to complete her work has been very difficult and results in taking longer to complete her work.


Sarah
 

Thank you Gene, that is very much appreciated, will try to download that tomorrow evening when I see her. 

Are you able to tell me what the other add-on is called and I can get my daughter to read description and see what she thinks as I am not very tech minded with using short cuts etc as obviously I can use the mouse etc but am deaf so I can't test things for her being deaf to ensure it works etc.

Again thank you 

Sarah


Gene
 

I believe its this one, based on the description.  Its called something like Global Commands and you can read the description and download it here:

https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=138


Gene

On 3/10/2022 10:08 AM, Sarah wrote:
Thank you Gene, that is very much appreciated, will try to download that tomorrow evening when I see her. 

Are you able to tell me what the other add-on is called and I can get my daughter to read description and see what she thinks as I am not very tech minded with using short cuts etc as obviously I can use the mouse etc but am deaf so I can't test things for her being deaf to ensure it works etc.

Again thank you 

Sarah


 

This hasen't been update and interestingly never had a github associated with it.



On 11/03/2022 4:07 am, Sarah wrote:
Hello,
I tried to install Clipspeak for my daughter's NVDA on new laptop, however was unable to get this to install due to having NVDA version 2021.3 and popup says it is not compatible.
Daughter found this very useful especially for copying and pasting as she is a full time student and has not been able to use Clipspeak since 2020 on her old laptop and I did try reaching out to developer only to have the email to bounce back the other day as pop up showed details to contact developer when trying to install it.
Is there a newer version that is not on the official add on website that works with the latest NVDA version or is there another add on we can use that is exactly the same or does very close to it so she can do her work independently?
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
Thank you 


 

I wander if the main site should be updated with this.



On 11/03/2022 4:56 am, Gene wrote:

Here is a link to download the add-on.  It will be available for seven days.

https://we.tl/t-xtBezzYCXr


Gene

On 3/10/2022 9:07 AM, Sarah wrote:
Hello,
I tried to install Clipspeak for my daughter's NVDA on new laptop, however was unable to get this to install due to having NVDA version 2021.3 and popup says it is not compatible.
Daughter found this very useful especially for copying and pasting as she is a full time student and has not been able to use Clipspeak since 2020 on her old laptop and I did try reaching out to developer only to have the email to bounce back the other day as pop up showed details to contact developer when trying to install it.
Is there a newer version that is not on the official add on website that works with the latest NVDA version or is there another add on we can use that is exactly the same or does very close to it so she can do her work independently?
I have had a look and found dropbox links in this forum but does not seem to work at all as gets the error 404 code.
Thank you 


 

Hi,

In order for an add-on to appear on community add-ons website, it must go through a queue process involving pull requests to a specific GitHub repository, typically initiated by an add-on author or people who have received permission from the author to post a pull request on their behalf.

If it is the add-on I'm thinking of, then suffice to say that it may need some internal adjustments (some of them major). I believe there has been requests to register that add-on on community add-ons website for some time and we had discussions about it, specifically add-on scope as the add-on covers a lot.

As for ClipSpeak, yes, the author is one and the same (Damien). The add-ons community had a discussion about what to do with this add-on a while back with no solid conclusions. My hope is that someone would maintain that add-on and make it compatible with newer NVDA releases (I wish I could, but I'm at a point where I cannot guarantee it).

Cheers,

Joseph


Sarah
 

Thank you again Gene. 

As for the other messages I have no idea what github is as I use the NVDA adds on community website for any add ons my daughter requires. 
From what I can gather it seems many people likes to use clipspeak as it is quite simple and easy to use. 
Which is why my daughter likes it and her work is mainly done on laptop. 

Hopefully someone can take it over and maintain it for many other people that seems to have requested for a more compatible one, many thanks to whoever did this compatible one which I'm sure my daughter is looking forward to hearing it and being able to use it again as it stopped working in 2020. 

Sarah 


 

Thanks to Gene for the link.

Since the one he gave is a link with a time limit on it, I've created one on my Google Drive that isn't, and it will remain there until the tweaked version gets broken as far as compatibility with NVDA when a backwards-compatibility-breaking NVDA release occurs.  Credit where credit is due for the source, though.

Clipspeak Add-On - Tweaked for compatibility through NVDA 2021.X
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
         America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities,
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

 


Jason Bratcher
 

Say, would SpeechHistory help you two ladies out, possibly?
I ask because NVDA then says something and you can copy that to the clipboard and paste it somewhere in a document for others to read?

--
Jason Bratcher


Dave Grossoehme
 

Jean what version of NVDA are using this add on for Clip Speak.  The reason I ask, is because of Joseph's prior message.  Are you sure this will work for this person as far as being compatible?

Dave


On 3/10/2022 2:23 PM, Sarah wrote:
Thank you again Gene. 

As for the other messages I have no idea what github is as I use the NVDA adds on community website for any add ons my daughter requires. 
From what I can gather it seems many people likes to use clipspeak as it is quite simple and easy to use. 
Which is why my daughter likes it and her work is mainly done on laptop. 

Hopefully someone can take it over and maintain it for many other people that seems to have requested for a more compatible one, many thanks to whoever did this compatible one which I'm sure my daughter is looking forward to hearing it and being able to use it again as it stopped working in 2020. 

Sarah 


Gene
 

I don't recall the details of Joseph Lee's message because it doesn't concern anything I do. 


I am absolutely sure the add-on will work.  It works in the current version of NVDA.  Whatever Joseph Lee's message applied to, it wasn't to this version of the add-on.


Gene

On 3/14/2022 12:56 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Jean what version of NVDA are using this add on for Clip Speak.  The reason I ask, is because of Joseph's prior message.  Are you sure this will work for this person as far as being compatible?

Dave


On 3/10/2022 2:23 PM, Sarah wrote:
Thank you again Gene. 

As for the other messages I have no idea what github is as I use the NVDA adds on community website for any add ons my daughter requires. 
From what I can gather it seems many people likes to use clipspeak as it is quite simple and easy to use. 
Which is why my daughter likes it and her work is mainly done on laptop. 

Hopefully someone can take it over and maintain it for many other people that seems to have requested for a more compatible one, many thanks to whoever did this compatible one which I'm sure my daughter is looking forward to hearing it and being able to use it again as it stopped working in 2020. 

Sarah 


 

Hi,

My concern has to do with manifest edits, but also any changes needed to support newer NVDA releases at the code level. As I wrote a while back (and repeated since then), editing manifests isn't enough when it comes to fully guaranteeing compatibility with future NVDA releases, more so for 2022.1 changes as several changes will break outdated add-ons.

Cheers,

Joseph


 

Hi everyone,

I will provide a detailed summary in a more appropriate thread, but I've got bad news: ClipSpeak is NOT compatible with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes, so manifest edits will not work in the future (sorry).

Cheers,

Joseph


Gene
 

Since it appears that the ability to hear copy, cut, and paste is the most requested feature in NVDA, this is even more reason why the ability should be integrated into the program itself. 


I hope developers no longer believe what they maintained for years, that the feature can't be made to work reliably and thus should not be in the program.  It can and it has been implemented accurately in JAWS for decades and in System Access for however long it has been around.  And the add-on, even without revision is, in my experience, about 97 or 98 percent accurate.


But it is unlikely that anything will be done about this if almost no one expresses interest in the proper channel. 


Here is a closed very old issue which dates back to 2008. 

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/75

I don't know if commenting on a very old closed issue attracts much attention.  Others may know.  I've seen it stated that commenting on a closed issue may result in it being opened again. 


What is the best way to proceed? 


Perhaps a certain ticket will be presented to the list as a good one for future comment.  But if people don't do it, then I may pretty much give up.


Gene

On 3/16/2022 2:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi everyone,

I will provide a detailed summary in a more appropriate thread, but I've got bad news: ClipSpeak is NOT compatible with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes, so manifest edits will not work in the future (sorry).

Cheers,

Joseph