Version 22.03/22.03.1 of Joseph Lee's add-ons: mandatory security updates #addonrelease

Hello NVDA users community,

I understand the subject line may look strange, but it will become clear as you read this announcement:

In a few hours I will release version 22.03 of my add-ons (manual mandatory updates), followed by 22.03.1 which will make my add-ons compatible with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes. It is likely that 22.03.1, scheduled to be released the day after NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 is released, will be the one showing up on Add-on Updater and on community add-ons website (I will update this thread once that happens).

Three important notes:

  • You may notice that I’m talking about two add-on versions: 22.03 and 22.03.1. Originally I was planning to release 22.03 as soon as upcoming NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 was released. However, I have received a private report last week detailing the fact that parts of some add-ons will continue to function if NVDA is running in secure screens. Further, after checking my add-ons, I have discovered at least two security issues that can cause problems: commands that can open a web browser to a specific site then allowing users to browse somewhere else, and creating and writing files other than NVDA configuration file. Because at least two add-ons I maintain had both issues present, I decided to check other add-ons and work on solutions throughout the weekend. While doing so, a potential issue was discovered that could affect system settings, and at least one add-on was affected. The result is 22.03 security update for my add-ons (mandatory). Because NV Access is working on NVDA 2022.1 at the moment, I decided to prioritize security rather than wait for 2022.1 beta 1 to be released, therefore the two releases. In short, both 22.03 and 22.03.1 will be identical apart from NVDA compatibility (more on that below); if Add-on Updater offers what appears to be an older version of add-ons, ignore this, or you can turn off automatic add-on updates until I say go ahead and upgrade when Add-on Updater offers these releases (likely 22.03.1).
  • As I announced a few days ago, I’m ending support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 from my add-ons soon. In preparation for that, I hereby declare that 22.03/22.03.1 will be the final release(s) to support old Windows releases. I strongly urge you to upgrade to Windows 10, or if your system is ready, to Windows 11 unless you are in a situation where an upgrade can’t be performed (corporate domain, for example).
  • A while ago I announced that I’m about to end maintenance for most of my add-ons. I thought 22.01 (January 2022) will be the final releases, but since no-one has stepped up to maintain them, I decided to provide a one last release so add-ons can be made compatible with upcoming NVDA changes. But then security issues came up, so in a way I’m dividing this last release into two parts: 22.03 and 22.03.1, a security release compatible with NVDA 2021.3 and a follow-up release compatible with 2022.1 changes, respectively; I expect no changes between these two releases apart from add-on manifests, hence my statement of identical releases abov. To users of Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, Sound Splitter, and StationPlaylist, I would like to take this time to say thank you from bottom of my heart for all your feedback while I maintained these add-ons. My final day as a maintainer of these add-ons will be a week after NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 is released so I can prepare these add-ons to end support for older Windows releases before handing the add-on to the community for further maintenance.

One more thing: I will update this thread when version 22.03 of my add-ons are ready for download.

Changelog:

All add-ons:

  • NVDA 2021.3 or later is required. I strongly urge everyone to upgrade to 2021.3.3 if possible.
  • Version 22.03.x will be the final releases to support Windows 7 SP1, 8, and 8.1 with three exceptions: Add-on Updater, Sound Splitter, and Windows App Essentials. If you haven’t, I urge you to upgrade to Windows 10, or if compatible, to Windows 11 unless you are in a situation where you can’t do so.

Security:

  • The following add-ons will be disabled completely if NVDA is running in secure screens: Add-on Updater, Sound Splitter, StationPlaylist. These add-ons can access the web, read and write files other than NVDA configuration database, and change system settings, with the first two being high security risks.

Windows compatibility:

  • As noted above, most of my add-ons will end support for older Windows releases. A message will be displayed when installing version 22.03/22.03.1 of the following add-ons: Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, StationPlaylist.

Add-on Updater:

  • Because the add-on will be disabled completely in secure screens, Add-on Updater will not check for updates for add-ons installed in secure screen copy of NVDA.

Resource Monitor and Sound Splitter:

  • Psutil dependency was updated to 5.9.0.

Sound Splitter:

  • Changed sound splitter toggle command (Alt+NVDA+S) to toggle between NVDA on the right channel, on the left channel, or sound splitter disabled.

StationPlaylist:

  • This is the last version to support Studio suite 5.30.
  • It is no longer possible to perform the following commands if NVDA is running in secure mode: all SPL Controller layer commands, switching to Studio from other programs, obtaining Studio status and encoder status from other programs.
  • It is no longer possible to copy track comments to the clipboard or add or change comments if NVDA is running in secure mode.
  • It is no longer possible to copy playlist transcripts to clipboard or save it to a file if NVDA is running in secure mode. Only viewing transcripts will be allowed in secure mode.
  • To improve security, online user guide command from SPL Assistant (Shift+F1) has been removed.
  • It is no longer possible to create, copy, rename, delete, or configure instant switch status for broadcast profiles if NVDA is running in secure mode.
  • It is no longer possible to configure advanced add-on settings or reset settings to defaults from add-on settings screen if NVDA is running in secure mode.
  • In Studio, NVDA will no longer do nothing or play error tones if attempting to obtain playlist snapshots (SPL Assistant, F8) if the loaded playlist consists only of hour markers.
  • In Creator 6.0, NVDA will no longer appear to do nothing when one of the columns explorer column is "Date Restriction" as the column has been renamed to "Restrictions".

Windows App Essentials:

  • Various features and fixes that were included with the add-on are now part of NVDA. These include announcing search suggestion count in apps such as Settings and Microsoft Store and "pane" no longer being announced when switching between apps in Windows 11.
  • Installing and using the add-on on Windows Insider Preview builds between 20348 (Server 2022) and 22000 (Windows 11) is no longer supported.
  • Removed the warning message when installing the add-on on Windows Server systems as the add-on is better optimized for Windows 10/11 client systems.
  • Removed deprecated XAML heading detection feature.
  • Removed the debug tone heard when UIA notification events come from background apps when debug log is on. Use Event Tracker add-on to debug UIA notification events.
  • Removed Start menu size announcement workaround as it is no longer heard in recent Windows 10 releases.
  • UIA drag drop effect property event is now tracked.
  • More information is announced when arranging Start menu tiles or Action center quick actions with Alt+Shift+arrow keys such as potential location of the dragged tile and placement of Action center quick action.
  • Calculator: NvDA will announce results when more commands are performed such as pressing equals (=) key and performing operations in scientific calculator mode such as trigonometric operations.
  • Maps: Removed street side view workaround as it is no longer applicable in recent app releases.
  • Modern keyboard: In Windows 11 clipboard history, browse mode will be turned off by default, designed to let NVDA announce clipboard history entry menu items.
  • Settings: In Windows 10, update history items no longer include installation status to align with Windows 11.

This thread will be updated when:

  • Version 22.03 of these add-ons are ready for download (manual update)
  • NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 is released, and subsequently, version 22.03.1 of these add-ons are released
  • Add-on updates are showing on Add-on Updater

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

As promised, here are the links to download 22.03 releases. Remember that Add-on Updater will offer older releases after installing these, so disable add-on updates until further notice:

IMPORTANT: as of this moment Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, Sound Splitter, and StationPlaylist are end of life from me - no more changes accepted. The next releases will be 22.03.1 designed to provide compatibility with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes. I will formally resign from maintaining these add-ons a week after 22.03.1 is released.

Cheers,

Joseph

Rowen Cary

Thanks Joseph

farhan israk

If I need to update addons manually then why am I using addon updater?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm Joseph Lee, <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

To update other add-ons. In fact, you'll see a good use of Add-on Updater very soon (coming up next).

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi all,

Update 1: Add-on Updater 22.03.1 is now available. This is a mandatory (manual for now) update for anyone wishing to test NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 (INSTALL Add-on Updater 22.03.1 BEFORE INSTALLING NVDA 2022.1 beta 1!): https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/22.03/addonUpdater-22.03.1.nvda-addon

After installing this release:

  1. DO NOT DOWNGRADE TO 22.03 or earlier!
  2. Hold off on installing other add-on updates (manually or automatically) until I give the green light to do so.

There will be two more updates:

  1. An announcement that you can now upgrade rest of my add-ons.
  2. A virtual goodbye ceremony for five of my add-ons as I am officially ending maintenance for them as of this very moment.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

Laurie Mehta

Hi Joseph,

I have NVDA v. 2021.3.4 and do not plan to use the new beta version. Do I need to install the add on updater or windows app essentials versions that you’ve been telling us about in this thread?

Thanks,

LM

Update 1: Add-on Updater 22.03.1 is now available. This is a mandatory (manual for now) update for anyone wishing to test NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 (INSTALL Add-on Updater 22.03.1 BEFORE INSTALLING NVDA 2022.1 beta 1!): https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/22.03/addonUpdater-22.03.1.nvda-addon

After installing this release:

  1. DO NOT DOWNGRADE TO 22.03 or earlier!
  2. Hold off on installing other add-on updates (manually or automatically) until I give the green light to do so.

There will be two more updates:

  1. An announcement that you can now upgrade rest of my add-ons.
  2. A virtual goodbye ceremony for five of my add-ons as I am officially ending maintenance for them as of this very moment.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

That is a point.

Question should be is there another way for addon updater to update addons which are already in its database but haven't been imported yet.

Why is it manual.

A better question should be, if version x is manually updated  and is therefore a higher version than current addon on database then addon updater shouldn't try to install the database version if its of a higher number.

Of course this may be completely mute when addon updates go into core and we get an actual store which allows us to add official sources and or unofficial sources that we know are safe like linux does.

On 18/03/2022 8:38 am, farhan israk wrote:

[...]

For now Add-on Updater update must be applied manually if and only if you are using alphas or plan to test betas (there was an issue posted on GitHub where an alpha snapshot user found that installed add-ons stopped working after installing the latest alpha build, which is the correct behavior). For folks using NVDA 2021.3.4, you can either wait for Add-on Updater 22.03.1 to show up through Add-on Updater or install the new release manually, but eventually Add-on Updater will tell you that newer releases are available.

At one point I thought about checking versions in order to prevent people from downgrading. However I shelved that idea because different people use different versioning schemes, and this option isn't ideal for people using development versions of add-ons and/or using NVDA development builds.

As for Add-on Updater being integrated into NVDA Core, that will take a while as NV Access is researching some foundations for this suggestion at the moment. That's the major reason why I can't "graduate" from the community i.e. move on, knowing that Add-on Updater is a crucial add-on for users. Only after Add-on Updater becomes a feature in NVDA will I be able to say I can truly move on (there is one more thing I plan to submit to NV Access for inclusion in the screen reader, and that involves a feature in Windows App Essentials, and I plan to proceed with it in northern summer (June at the earliest)).

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers,

Joseph

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

hi, i'm using NVDA 2021.3.4 and i plan to switch to beta when it arrives, should i update today or should i wait for the beta day?

Em sex., 18 de mar. de 2022 às 00:23, Laurie Mehta via groups.io <lauriemehta=yahoo.com@groups.io> escreveu:

[...]

If you plan to test NVDA 2022.1 beta, then go ahead and install Add-on Updater 22.03.1 manually. I expect everyone will be offered the new release soon (for people who told NVDA to check for add-on updates automatically).

Cheers,

Joseph

AAh ok.

Well there is always an option of merging the channel selecter addon into the updater or nvda itself so depending on what channel you are using you will update that channel only.

Of course if you have a beta or whatever you would update that channel.

I don't test betas so I don't run that addon but thats always another option.

Maybe down the road nvda could have a developer options section of settings and or a developer mode where you could run betas, snapshots, stables etc and addons for each or run your stable with different addon branches.

But yeah.

Its hard to know what everyone uses and why.

On 18/03/2022 5:04 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

David Ingram

I have a question for Joseph lee concerning the ad-on updater.  I’m trying to install the ad-on updater but i’m not sure why i can not install it.  I do have the most recent version of nvda, and I’m using firefox as the browser if that makes any difference.  Usually i don’t have a problem with using the ad-on updater but this time, i’m having that problem even after your giving the link to gethub.  I’m not sure why I’m having this problem.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this issue.  Thank you.

On Mar 17, 2022, at 2:38 PM, farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

David Ingram wrote:

I have a question for Joseph lee concerning the ad-on updater.  I’m trying to install the ad-on updater but i’m not sure why i can not install it.  I do
have the most recent version of nvda, and I’m using firefox as the browser if that makes any difference.  Usually i don’t have a problem with using the
ad-on updater but this time, i’m having that problem even after your giving the link to gethub.  I’m not sure why I’m having this problem.  Thank you for
What is happening when you try to install it? Please describe your installation process, and how/at what point, it fails.

Side note: it's github, not gethub.

Luke

David Ingram

Hi, i'd like to know where can i get the latest ad-onupdater from as it relates to Joseph lees ad-ons from Github?  When that link was posted in another persons message, i was unable to just press enter on the link to start the download.  Is there something that i need to do first?  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

[...]

Hi, Joseph, now that i have updated to the new version of nvda, where can i get the most recent ad-onupdate from github?  I tried to press enter on the link that was provided in another persons message but nothing happened, is there some thing that i need to do in order to download the most recent ad-onupdater.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

If you plan to test NVDA 2022.1 beta, then go ahead and install Add-on Updater 22.03.1 manually. I expect everyone will be offered the new release soon (for people who told NVDA to check for add-on updates automatically).

Cheers,

Joseph

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

when NVDA says the link, hit the arrow up and press the letter k and then press enter, this should work

Em sex., 18 de mar. de 2022 às 05:15, David Ingram <dingram269@...> escreveu:

Hi, Joseph, now that i have updated to the new version of nvda, where can i get the most recent ad-onupdate from github?  I tried to press enter on the link that was provided in another persons message but nothing happened, is there some thing that i need to do in order to download the most recent ad-onupdater.  Thank you for any information that you might have concerning this question.

If you plan to test NVDA 2022.1 beta, then go ahead and install Add-on Updater 22.03.1 manually. I expect everyone will be offered the new release soon (for people who told NVDA to check for add-on updates automatically).

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

I haven't tried that method but this may be a bug where NVDA sometimes doesn't follow a link when you are on the first letter.  If you right arrow once, then press enter again, the link may work.  Off and on, I do that when I move to a link and it does nothing.

Gene