Clipspeak Interfering with Clipboard and Other Functions

Abbie Taylor

A few days ago, I downloaded the new version of ClipSpeak compatible with the latest version of NVDA. Today, I noticed a problem. Things would work fine for a while, and then, while in Chrome, I wouldn't be able to switch between browse and forms mode. When navigating through a list of items in my clipboard, pressing the down and up arrow keys closes the clipboard instead of moving to the next item in the list. Restarting NVDA temporarily resolves the issue. After about the third or fourth time of restarting NVDA, I finally disabled the add-on, and now, everything works as it should.

I'm finding no way to email the developer except for the address given in the About Add-On dialogue, to which I can't seem to navigate. So, I'm posting this here in the hope he sees it. I love the verbal feedback I get from ClipSpeak when copying, pasting, etc. I hope this issue can be resolved.

Gene

I doubt that is a general issue.  We'll see if others report it.

There is another add-on that announces cut, copy, and paste, from what I've read.  I don't recall the name and I'm not sure what to search for.  I did one search without success.  Someone else will likely provide the name.  You may try that one.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 4:52 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
[...]

I did two or three more searches and I found it.  Its called Global Commands Extensions.

You can download it from this page as well as read an extensive description about the add-on.

https://nvda-addons.org/addon.php?id=138

It has a lot of capabilities.  You may want to try it.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 5:08 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

I've played with the add-on in a portable version of the plugin and many settings don't work.  Copy, cut and paste do.  I may try the plugin in an installed copy of NVDA and I suspect the settings that don't work now will work in an installed version.

You may want to try the plugin but I'm not sure if it will change things you don't want changed.  These may be minor things you don't care about.  It appears that it stops the announcement of groups in ribbons as a default setting.

I haven't looked at a lot of the settings but if you want to try the plugin, it may change some things you will want to alter in the plugin settings.

To get to the plugin settings, open preferences in NVDA, down arrow to the plugin, press enter, and look around in the menu.  Once you are on something you want to look at, tab around, just as you do when working with NVDA settings.

While I expect you would know or expect this sort of interface, I'm telling you because it isn't discussed in the description on the web site.  The settings aren't discussed in detail on the web site but it appears to me that many of the settings are or are pretty much self-explanatory.

I'm also discussing these things because others may want to try the plugin and may have questions.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 5:08 PM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Hi, Gene. I just downloaded the add-on and will see how it works. When I clicked on "Add-On Help" in the add-ons manager, it took me to a website that appears to contain a user guide. That might be a handy future reference. I also explored the add-on preferences but didn't find anything I needed to change, at least for now. Thanks so much for this.

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  From the last message on this addon, Joseph was questioning the compatibility of this add on since it has not been updated in awhile.  in that case this is showing that there is a compatibility with the add on with the present version of NVDA which you can see here.  This is what I was asking Jean about, but he did not see my logic in my queswtion.

Dave

On 3/14/2022 5:52 PM, Abbie Taylor wrote:
[...]

I don't know what you mean by I didn't see the logic.  I don't know technically how it was made compatible.  It works.  therefore it is compatible.  Joseph may have been saying that doing things liked altering the manifest to make an add-on compatible may not do so or may not indefinitely but if the add-on works, by definition, it is compatible at this time.

Gene

On 3/16/2022 10:54 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

[...]

If you are asking about the problem one person reported, there is no reason to think it is a problem with the add-on and compatibility.  This add-on, in its altered form has been around for months.  A lot of people  are using it.  If this were a general problem, we would have heard about it long before now and not just from one person after three or four months.

Gene

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 12:23 PM, Gene wrote:
Joseph may have been saying that doing things liked altering the manifest to make an add-on compatible may not do so or may not indefinitely but if the add-on works, by definition, it is compatible at this time.
-
Which, I believe, is precisely the point Joseph was trying to make in this case, and has been making on numerous other occasions with regard to manifest tweaking as a workaround solution.  It definitely has a finite life as a workaround as eventually there will be a break between underlying code and current requirements.

You are correct that, for the time being, there exists a version of Clipspeak that is compatible with NVDA up to 2021.3.3.  It may cease to be compatible with 2022.1.

The issue of abandoned add-ons is, to my mind, becoming more pressing when those have been distributed via the community add-ons page in the past.  I get that no individual may wish to be strapped to a piece of software they developed in perpetuity, but ideally there would be a convention for hand-off to a successor or successors so that abandonment did not occur.

But, at the present time, add-ons are not, and never have been, developed and maintained by NVAccess.  They are the direct result of the efforts of one or more developers who are part of the NVDA user community.  That means that the risk always exists of an add-on "going up in smoke" as backward-compatiblity-breaking NVDA releases roll out and there is no one actively maintaining a specific add-on.  That extends to add-ons as complex and now critical to the user community as NVDA Remote (among select others) is.  This arrangement is an accident of history.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Luke Davis

Gene

Altering a manifest just tells NVDA that the add-on is compatible, so it doesn't complain and refuse to load it.

It does nothing what so ever to actually *make* the add-on compatible; it merely bypasses the mechanism used by NVDA to directly detect that an add-on has or has not been updated to take into account new versions of the API.

As for ClipSpeak itself:

The original developer of this add-on publicly offered it to the community for anyone to take maintenance of, at least 18 months ago. Nobody has yet done so officially. I don't know who modified the version you were distributing, nor whether they did anything else than fix the manifest.

However I do know, that if it is the same version that was available a year or so back, I removed it from my system because of similar problems to those that Abbie pointed out, and other very irregular cut and paste behavior involving files, which I found to be too questionable to put up with.

I can't speculate what may have been done to the add-on since then, which is why I haven't commented on this thread until now, but if it is code invariant over the last year, and just had its manifest altered, in my opinion its code is already at least partially incompatible to the point of being a risk to run.

Luke

Gene wrote:

I don't know what you mean by I didn't see the logic.  I don't know technically how it was made compatible.  It works.  therefore it is compatible.  Joseph
may have been saying that doing things liked altering the manifest to make an add-on compatible may not do so or may not indefinitely but if the add-on
works, by definition, it is compatible at this time.

Gene

I don't recall if the person reporting the problem is using Windows 10 or 11 and I don't know if it matters.  I know that changing the manifest doesn't mean an add-on is compatible even if it can be installed.  But this version has been discussed more than once on the list and a link given more than once for a good while, I don't recall how long.  Since I've only seen two complaints, I don't have any reason to believe there is a compatibility problem.  Nothing works correctly on all systems. Perhaps it is prone to not work properly on a small number more systems than the previous version, but until I see more complaints, I will remain skeptical that there is a general compatibility problem.

Gene

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 01:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Since I've only seen two complaints, I don't have any reason to believe there is a compatibility problem.  Nothing works correctly on all systems. Perhaps it is prone to not work properly on a small number more systems than the previous version, but until I see more complaints, I will remain skeptical that there is a general compatibility problem.
-
And I have to say that I agree with you here, and not just in the context of this add-on.

People really need to understand, and accept, that because they're having an issue when many others aren't it's far more likely to be a problem that lies with their own computing ecosystem, and is idiosyncratic to it, rather than being a global issue.

This particular tweaked version has been "making the rounds" for quite a while now, and there has been no substantial number of reports, as a proportion of those who've used it, that there is a functional compatibility issue.  There have been a few, but a few among many doesn't mean "incompatible" in any meaningful sense of that word.

However, Luke is right that probably sooner, rather than later, there is going to be a "permanent breakage" in compatibility without someone taking this add-on over since the original developer formally stated that they are through with it many months ago.  If no one does step up to that proverbial plate, then the add-on should effectively be considered dead when the "permanent breakage" occurs.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Gene

If that happens, as I believe I discussed here recently, there is another add-on that has a lot more features that performs this function.  However, before people install it, they should carefully read the discussion of the features on the add-on the add-on's web site.  Some changes, perhaps many, are performed automatically when the add-on becomes active and I don't know if they are reverted if the add-on is disabled or uninstalled.

Others may know.  If they are reverted, the care I am recommending may not matter nearly so much since the changes would be very easily undone, but since I don't know, I think people should be aware of what may be changed.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 02:01 PM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:
I apologize for writing the prior message before going back through the complete thread.
-
I appreciate it, but what I appreciate more is your providing an example of why reading through the entirety of a topic before responding is a very good idea.

We all have the occasional slip-up.  The fact that you recognize it as such is fantastic!

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Gene

I don't know how it was updated.  It may have just been that the manifest was changed.  It may be the same as the version on the NVDA official Add-ons page except for that change.  I don't know if there is any language specification in the program.  It may speak in English regardless of what language your screen-reader is set to but the language being used may have nothing to do with how the add-on works.

If you want to read a description of the add-on before it was updated, you can do so here:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/clipspeak.en.html

The add-on information discusses the language being used by the computer but only in terms of compatibility of short cut keys.  As you will see, how the add-on determines if something is done has nothing to do with language.

Gene

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Edited

Hello all,

I have revisited the ClipSpeak add-on source code and found that:

Short answer regarding compatibility with upcoming NVDA 2022.1 changes: incompatible.

Explanation: this is one of those instances where simply editing the add-on manifest won't work when NVDA 2022.1 is released, something I've been warning the community about for weeks (as late as a few days ago). The add-on uses code that's removed in upcoming NVDA release, along with employing practices that can raise eyebrows (it did raise mine). In order for any future version of ClipSpeak to work with upcoming vast changes, it must be edited at the source code level. And I can tell you that I'm not really in a position to do so unless as a last resort (I can imagine a scenario where since I "rescued" some add-ons before such as Golden Cursor, folks may ask me to intervene, but I'm at a crossroad in graduate school education where I need to spend more time fulfilling my duty to the school).

I understand that what I said can be a shock to you; I imagine that people who are new to NVDA community may believe that the latest add-ons are ready for future NVDA releases, only to discover that a seasoned screen reader contributor is saying otherwise. I also understand that talking about a crossroad in life, especially coming from someone who was seen as ready to assist the community day and night, might be a bit odd. But I do know that sometimes a shocking revelation is what eventually wakes up a community (it doesn't always work though); after all, I am a human, and as most humans do, I need to move on (I realized this and made up my mind last weekend after spending days auditing and resolving security issues with my add-ons; the realization that I spent too much time in the add-ons community to the detriment of my immediate duty of a scholar in training, hence my statement that I can't intervene unless as a last resort).

If there is one take away from my analysis, it is that sometimes you must open the box to fix things; there is a difference between appearance of compatibility and actuality of compatibility (please remember this, my friends).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 03:31 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
I need to move on
-
Joseph,

I say the following with sincerity and deep appreciation for what you have done for the NVDA community:  Indeed you do!

You have a life outside of the NVDA Community to live, you have given more to the community, unpaid, than anyone else I know.  You've done your time, and you have done everything in your power to make your exit and orderly one, starting months ago.

So, go forth and prosper!  Let go.  It's OK, and that's whether anyone else, including myself, thinks so. You don't need to sacrifice your own life as well as future happiness and success on the altar of NVDA.  You've done plenty!

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Rui Fontes

Hello Joseph!

You wrote:

The add-on uses code that's removed in upcoming NVDA release, along with employing practices that can raise eyebrows (it did raise mine). In order for any future version of ClipSpeak to work with upcoming vast changes, it must be edited at the source code level...

I am taking care of that...

I have already a working version...

But I will like to know what part of the code made you "raise eyebrows"...

Rui Fontes