Emojis and NVDA under Windows 11

Hi Group,

After I installed Windows 11 I noticed it's no longer possible to
access emojies using NVDA.
Is there an add- on that would help? Any ideas?

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Does the shortcut not work any more the Windows key + . in most cases and I think the other was comma? but usually the first shortcut done it to bring up the emoji pannel in windows.

Gene nz

On 15/03/2022 1:32 pm, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi Group,

After I installed Windows 11 I noticed it's no longer possible to
access emojies using NVDA.
Is there an add- on that would help? Any ideas?

Gene

I can't discuss Windows 11 and emoji, but NVDA provides a very large selection within the screen-reader.

New steps start on new lines:

Open the NVDA menu,

open preferences and up arrow to Punctuation/symbol pronunciation.

Press enter.

Shift tab once to filter by.

Type the word or words you want emoji to contain as descriptions of what they are.  If you want emoji showing different kinds of smiling faces, type the word smiling.  If you want to limit what is being shown in the list more, type more descriptive words such as smiling eyes.

Tab once to get back to the list.

Look through it.  If you find one you want to use press NVDA key f9 to set the start marker.

Move the object navigator to the right until you get to the end of the description.

Issue the command NVDA key f10 quickly twice.  You can hold the NVDA key and press f10 quickly twice.

You have copied the emoji to the clipboard.

Paste it into the message where you want it.

I don't know whether you get a better selection  in NVDA or Windows or if they are about the same.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 7:32 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi Group,

After I installed Windows 11 I noticed it's no longer possible to
access emojies using NVDA.
Is there an add- on that would help? Any ideas?

Rowen Cary

Hi gene

I think it sucks compared to the convenience of the Windows emoji panel, and I had to sift through this huge list. The emoji panel on Windows +dot key allows me to filter by category and discover many new emojis. I guess what this thread is trying to convey is that NVDA is not announcing what's on the Windows 11 emoji panel.

Thanks On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 08:54 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

On 3/14/2022 7:32 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote: > Hi Group, > > After I installed Windows 11 I noticed it's no longer possible to > access emojies using NVDA. > Is there an add- on that would help? Any ideas? >

Gene

That's why you use the filter field I discussed.  I can see icons limited to smiling face by typing that in the filter by edit field.

And if emoji aren't' read by NVDA in the Windows panel, until that is corrected, people who want to use emoji may have to use the NVDA list.

Gene

On 3/14/2022 8:43 PM, Rowen Cary wrote:

[...]

Hi,

I think I know what's up: do you find that you can't use arrow keys to review emoji panel in Windows 11? If yes, this is resolved via Windows App Essentials add-on for NVDA versions earlier than 2022.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

Maria S

I access the emoji panel with Windows + semicolon. But I couldn't read
the panel so thanks for the info on the add on.

Maria

I think I know what's up: do you find that you can't use arrow keys to
review emoji panel in Windows 11? If yes, this is resolved via Windows App
Essentials add-on for NVDA versions earlier than 2022.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

Chris Mullins

Hi

I can’t get the emogy panel to stay open in Windows 10 either.  After pressing Windows+. The panel open onSmiling face with smiling eyes  1 of 44 but I can’t navigate the list, it just disappears as soon as I press another key.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

For those having trouble with access to the emoji panel and using all versions of NVDA prior to the as yet unreleased 2022.1, I direct you to Joseph Lee's post,  , in this very topic.  The use of that add-on for ease of access to the emoji panel has been around for a long while now (but that need will apparently disappear due to changes to NVDA in the 2022.1 release).

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Hi Joseph,
Thank you so much!
I downloaded the stable version of Windows App Essentials for NVDA and
now I can read the emojies s with the arrow keys just like before.
👏

I think I know what's up: do you find that you can't use arrow keys to
review emoji panel in Windows 11? If yes, this is resolved via Windows App
Essentials add-on for NVDA versions earlier than 2022.1.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

The problem was caused by the fact that when you open emoji panel in Windows 11, a search edit field gets focused. This causes NVDA to treat arrow keys as text navigation commands. Telling NVDA to not treat this field as an edit field fixes the issue, which is the solution implemented in Windows App Essentials and in upcoming NVDA 2022.1.

As for Windows 10 emoji panel and the problem of this panel closing when you press keys, that's new to me - I may need a debug log to figure out what's happening.

As for NVDA assuming the role of Windows App Essentials as far as emoji panel support is concerned, not entirely. There is an issue with IME (input method editor) handling in Windows 11 that I'm still testing with Windows App Essentials add-on, and I plan to submit a pull request to NV Access to get this resolved - part of the delay has to do with Korean IME changes in Windows 11 which I'm still testing, potential changes with upcoming Windows 11 Version 22H2 (about to enter final testing by Windows Insiders), and trying to keep up with school (I'm at a point in graduate school where I need to let go of most of my add-ons to keep up with reading materials).

Cheers,

Joseph