Can't Upgrade While Using RDP

Russell James

Greetings,

The memories are fading it has been so long...
I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

However, with the 2021.3.4 upgrade this is not possible.

Russ

Luke Davis

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.
Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Christopher Duffley

If you're using the NVDARemote add-on, that will be your best bet. That's how I did it on my dedicated server out of St. Louis with Server4You. That's the only way, besides RDP, that I can control my machine.

Christopher Duffley
Host of Mission Possible Podcast: http://www.missionpossiblepodcast.com
Cell: +1 (603) 851-6971

12 Pro Max

On Mar 17, 2022, at 18:51, Russell James <4rjames@...> wrote:

Greetings,

The memories are fading it has been so long...
I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

However, with the 2021.3.4 upgrade this is not possible.

Russ

Christopher Duffley

If you're referring to Microsoft Remote Desktop, yes, about 99% of it or so is very accessible with NVDA! The best way to disconnect a machine that's on an NVDARemote connection, however, is to use a Disconnect RDP.bat file that I can send a link to for the Machine being controlled. This is because if you don't use this file disconnect almost every other way, the NVDARemote connection will freeze in terms of sending commands to the machine.

On Mar 17, 2022, at 19:03, Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Jacob Kruger

I use RDP on a relatively regular basis, but, can't remember last time I specifically tried to do an NVDA upgrade while it was being made use of.

But, partly since have narrator set to auto-start in all environments as well, just in case, can't see where this would be a problem if was specifically using Microsoft RDP, and, not NVDA remote?

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA
On 2022-03-18 01:04 AM, Christopher Duffley wrote:

If you're using the NVDARemote add-on, that will be your best bet. That's how I did it on my dedicated server out of St. Louis with Server4You. That's the only way, besides RDP, that I can control my machine.

Christopher Duffley
Host of Mission Possible Podcast: http://www.missionpossiblepodcast.com
Cell: +1 (603) 851-6971

12 Pro Max

On Mar 17, 2022, at 18:51, Russell James <4rjames@...> wrote:

Greetings,

The memories are fading it has been so long...
I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

However, with the 2021.3.4 upgrade this is not possible.

Russ

Jacob Kruger

Christopher, when I use the disconnect sub-menu item under windows 10's power user menu - windows key + X, it never has any issues with disconnecting connection - only real issue have had as such is need to make sure remember to turn off any audio-ducking modes on client machine, before connect to remote machine, or else it might, at times, come across a bit soft?

And, this is all under windows 10 x64, on both ends of connection.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Russell James

Hi Luke

I don't ever recall a time that Microsoft remote desktop was not accessible
I've never used the nvda remote feature I've always just run an installed copy of nvda on the remote computer

Microsoft remote desktop has always supported the audio coming through from the remote therefore making screen readers usable on the remote computer

I also used to be able to do nvda updates on the remote computer using it this way but that is no longer possible

Thank you Jacob when I get a chance I'll try that out maybe if I'm not running in vda on the remote computer I can do the upgrade :-)

Russ

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Russell James

Following up on my original message here...

I was not only unable to do the NVDA upgrade while using RDP
When I tried again, with a check for updates, it indicated there were none available...
Then I lost speech all together...
I could not get NVDA to restart...

I'm restarting that remote computer and hoping for the best

Russ

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Russell James

After restarting the computer

I could not get NVDA to run

So I re-installed the original version that was installed on that computer

I did a check for updates and let it download the update for 2021.3.4
I didn't do the install

I closed NVDA and used Narrator
I could not locate the downloaded update
I could not find a way to do the update without running NVDA

So I went to the remote computer, signed in, and ran NVDA and did the update

I then returned to the original computer
When I signed into the remote computer using RDP
The task bar icons were accessible but not the system tray icons...

The NVDA icon menus were not speaking
The about NVDA dialog box was not speaking
With Narator I could read it was 2021.3.4

Doing another restart of the remote computer...

When I signed in using RDP after the restart things seem to be back to normal
The task bar icons and system tray icons were speaking, the NVDA icon menus were speaking, and the about dialog box said the version was March 4, 2021  :-)

Russ

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Jacob Kruger

Russell, this is, again, why I use narrator as a form of backup - same ctrl+windows+enter keystroke fires it up on remote desktop?

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Russell James

Hi Jacob

Thank you for your follow-up message

You were on my mind while I was doing that and using narrator as my backup screen reader the problem was I could not find a way to install nvdas upgrade without running in vda..

I would be surprised if there's not a way to do that I just don't know how and I was wondering if you have any tips or tricks you can share?

Narrator does not seem to be as user-friendly as nvda but it certainly was possible for me to navigate many things using it

Thanks for your help!

Russ

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Luke Davis

Russ

Have you tried downloading NVDA from NV Access directly (nvaccess.org/download), and re-installing it on the remote?

Luke

Jacob Kruger

Russell, what blocks you?

As in, is it something like user account control blocking installation?

When I connect to my work desktop remotely, I am signing in with same account I use when signing in locally, and, it's a full administrator account, so, while it will still prompt me to authorise UAC-level activities, it's never been an issue for me?

As in, does the machine just stop communicating/interacting, or what happens in this type of situation?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Steve Nutt

RDP is completely accessible, and I could upgrade just fine using RDP.

What problems did you have Russ?

All the best

Steve

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.
Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not
accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Steve Nutt

Depends on the server.

If you have Windows Server on one of your machines, as I do, just hit Alt F4, then D for disconnect and press enter.

All the best

Steve

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Steve Nutt

OK, I’ve found the answer to this one Russ.

It is true that you can’t update NVDA using RDP. The reason is, if you are running NVDA on the local machine and the remote machine, it will complain about files being in use.

What I had to do was to unload NVDA on both machines, run Narrator on the remote machine, then manually run the NVDA installer, which I downloaded. It won’t work with the Updater.

All the best

Steve

Russell James wrote:

I used to be able to upgrade NVDA while using RDP.

Perhaps I am behind the times, but my understanding was that RDP was not accessible--That it was, in fact, entirely graphical.
Have I missed an important change?

If not, and it is still entirely inaccessible, how did you used to do this?

Luke

Russell James

Thanks all for the suggestion!

Like Steve indicated, it is the file in use error, which years ago didn't happen...

I can try the new download/install and see if that works.

I like the out of the box thinking there!

I'll probably do this the next time NVDA updates...

Russ