Setting up the Humanware NLS EReader via Bluetooth for use with NVDA - Assistance please?

Hey everyone. I sure hope everyone is having a lovely day out there!

I have a question regarding NVDA version 2021.3.4 in combination with a bluetooth braille display; I'm not the most familiar with this, as I have always connected in the past over USB.

I'm using the Humanware NLS EReader device as my display, and my ultimate goal is to connect it via bluetooth to my Windows 10 machine.

Can someone possibly give me the steps both in NVDA as well as in the EReader to get this display connected up wirelessly over bluetooth so I may use it in conjunction with NVDA?

Your help is very graciously appreciated.

Thanks, and god bless.

Chris.

Clarissa Mitchell

Hi. I have the Zoomax E-reader, and I tried to explore this. The User
Guide says it should be able to work as a display with NVDA, and it
tells you how to connect to a Mac via Bluetooth, as well as iOS and
Android devices. There's a section on connecting to a computer via
USB, but I didn't find anywhere that told how to connect to a Windows
PC via Bluetooth, or how to use it with NVDA. When I went into
Settings on the device, then Bluetooth mode, all that showed up on the
display was BT and nothing else. I couldn't find any way to choose any
Bluetooth devices, and I was not notified that it was searching for
any devices. And I couldn't get out of it except by turning off the
E-reader. No keypresses were acknowledged.

Now I'm curious. Has anyone else been successful at connecting one of
these E-readers to NVDA via Bluetooth?

On 3/20/22, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:
Hey everyone. I sure hope everyone is having a lovely day out there!

I have a question regarding NVDA version 2021.3.4 in combination with a
bluetooth braille display; I'm not the most familiar with this, as I
have always connected in the past over USB.

I'm using the Humanware NLS EReader device as my display, and my
ultimate goal is to connect it via bluetooth to my Windows 10 machine.

Can someone possibly give me the steps both in NVDA as well as in the
EReader to get this display connected up wirelessly over bluetooth so I
may use it in conjunction with NVDA?

Your help is very graciously appreciated.

Thanks, and god bless.

Chris.

I am going to bend the group rules a bit and discuss Bluetooth connectivity because it's pertinent to several situations at hand and because it's clear that there are misunderstandings of the two kinds of Bluetooth connections and that for any Bluetooth connection one side must be in discovery mode (advertising its existence, much like a WiFi network broadcasts a network name [SSID]) while the other is looking for something that is in discovery mode.

First, and most simply, Bluetooth is a wireless communication protocol that's only meant to cover short distances.  You can have a direct device-to-device Bluetooth connection (very common for things like Bluetooth headsets) or you can have Bluetooth acting very much like a wired connection, in that the various devices connect to a central go-between, typically a computer, and it manages the actual workings of communicating with each device - they do not talk to one another directly.

I would have to imagine that any Braille display or similar would be using a "to computer" connection and it's the operating system that's communicating with it, via Bluetooth, just like it would if you had a wired connection.

NVDA itself, at least from my understanding, does not "talk directly" to Braille displays, but communicates to them via Windows, much like say, Microsoft Word doesn't communicate with your printer, it hands off what is to be printed to Windows and Windows then hands it off to the printer.

In the case of a peripheral, which a Braille Display would be, I have to believe that you would need to put that device itself into discovery mode, then, under Windows 10, open Settings, Devices, Bluetooth and other devices pane, then make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and if it is, activate the Add Bluetooth or other device button.  That causes Windows to search out all Bluetooth devices that are in discovery mode and to list them for adding.

You then pick the device you want to add and, possibly, need to enter a PIN to complete the connection.  If a Bluetooth PIN is used it is most often either 0000 or 1234, but the device manufacturer for the device that's in discovery mode, and that you're trying to connect with, may specify something else.

Once the connection is made, Windows should do pretty much what it does if you connect something by wire, but for Bluetooth, and hunt for and install the Bluetooth drivers for the connected device.  If the device manufacturer has shared these drivers with Microsoft, they'll be part of The Great Microsoft Driver Library in the Cloud and just install.  If they have not, then you will have to install these device drivers from media that should be downloadable from the device manufacturer.  The older the device, and particularly if it is from the pre-Windows-10 era, the more likely it is that there will not be a driver for it in the cloud-based driver library.  There may not even be a driver stated to be compatible for Windows 10 for it.  If that's the case, pick the one for the Windows version that's nearest to Windows 10, which will generally be either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7.  Sometimes those drivers work just fine, sometimes they don't.

According to the third-party quotation of the changelog for NVDA 2021.3.X, "NVDA will auto detect the NLS eReader Humanware braille display via Bluetooth as its Bluetooth name is now "NLS eReader Humanware". (#11561)"   This was a bug fix, so you need to make sure you are actually using NVDA 2021.3.4 since that's the most recent release.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Shawn

I connected the E-Reader that’s based on the HumanWare Brailliant series, but Windows/NVDA ignores any commands from the keyboard and just displays the first half of any line, you have to navigate using your computer’s keyboard, so it’s not at all useful. It works much better with the IPhone. They didn’t add me to the E-Reader mailing list, so I’m just waiting until the testing phase is over and it goes public so I can add myself.

Shawn Klein

Sent from Mail for Windows

Hi. I have the Zoomax E-reader, and I tried to explore this. The User

Guide says it should be able to work as a display with NVDA, and it

tells you how to connect to a Mac via Bluetooth, as well as iOS and

Android devices. There's a section on connecting to a computer via

USB, but I didn't find anywhere that told how to connect to a Windows

PC via Bluetooth, or how to use it with NVDA. When I went into

Settings on the device, then Bluetooth mode, all that showed up on the

display was BT and nothing else. I couldn't find any way to choose any

Bluetooth devices, and I was not notified that it was searching for

any devices. And I couldn't get out of it except by turning off the

E-reader. No keypresses were acknowledged.

Now I'm curious. Has anyone else been successful at connecting one of

these E-readers to NVDA via Bluetooth?

On 3/20/22, Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...> wrote:

> Hey everyone. I sure hope everyone is having a lovely day out there!

> I have a question regarding NVDA version 2021.3.4 in combination with a

> bluetooth braille display; I'm not the most familiar with this, as I

> have always connected in the past over USB.

> I'm using the Humanware NLS EReader device as my display, and my

> ultimate goal is to connect it via bluetooth to my Windows 10 machine.

> Can someone possibly give me the steps both in NVDA as well as in the

> EReader to get this display connected up wirelessly over bluetooth so I

> may use it in conjunction with NVDA?

> Your help is very graciously appreciated.

> Thanks, and god bless.

> Chris.

Don't feel bad. They didn't add me to the mailing list either, despite me asking countless numbers of time. Oh, that has to be done by your local state library. Oh no. We don't do that, that's up to Utah where you go through to get the reader. Oh no, we, Utah don't do that. Go to DC. Oh no, we DC don't do that, go to your local state. It's just back and forth.

Frankly, I don't like nor normally condone publicly shaming companies like I once did, but this is rediculous! If it wasn't for the fact that I needed a portable sollution to read braille books, I probably wouldn't keep the unit. Their customer service, not to be confused with tech support, is some of thee worst! I've ever seen. My point being, don't feel you were singled out. I didn't get added either, and I highly doubt that I ever will at this rate. If anyone's on this list who works with NLS, then get off your high horse, and get us added when we respectfully ask, and then maybe we'll quit complaining this isn't rocket science, people.

Chris.