A Newbie with an NVDA Remote and Update Problems

Chrissie

Hi Folks.

I'm a newby round here but have a serious NVDA problem.

I am running the latest build of NVDA under Windows 10 64 bit.

All runs well in that it does what it says on the can so to speak, but I
first noticed I was unable to access remote. I could get to the connect
button and when pressed I am thrown out of the menu system entirely.

I then noticed that I'm not able to access updates, either with the updater
nor updating NVDA itself.

I tried completely uninstalling NVDA and re-installing it, but exactly the
same result.

I must admit I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Help would be
appreciated.
Thanks for any help with this.

Chrissie Cochrane
Executive Director
The Global Voice
Radio for All
http://theglobalvoice.info
Kindness is a powerful force: use it generously! especially on yourself.

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 06:55 PM, Chrissie wrote:
All runs well in that it does what it says on the can so to speak, but I first noticed I was unable to access remote. I could get to the connect
button and when pressed I am thrown out of the menu system entirely.
-
There have been issues recently with the default NVDA remote server and the nvdaremote.com website.  The latter is back up again, but I have no idea about the server.
The site, https://www.nvra.io/, gives a long list of alternative NVDA Remote servers, and I would suggest trying one of those to see if it makes any difference.  It's best to choose the one that's the closest to your own location and that of the machine you're trying to access remotely, though depending on how far apart those are you may end up flipping a coin.

I can't speak to your update issues.  You say you are using the latest build of NVDA, but I would still like you to visit the NVDA about dialog (NVDA + N, H, A) and report back on the version that's listed in it.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Jackie

Me, too.

[...]

Constantly insisting on “my rights” with no consideration of “my
responsibilities” isn’t “freedom” — it’s adolescence.
~ Commenter, *Evangelos* , in comments for
America 2022: Where Everyone Has Rights and No One Has Responsibilities (
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/08/opinion/spotify-joe-rogan-covid-free-speech.html
) ,
New York Times , February 8, 2022

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 07:08 PM, Jackie wrote:
Me, too.
-
For which issue?  There were two, and completely different ones, discussed.  If it's both, that would be helpful to know, and I'd suggest your doing the same things I've already suggested to see if changing the NVDA Remote server that's the go-between fixes that problem.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Tyler Spivey

Try deleting your remote.ini file to fix NVDA Remote. To do this:

1. Press windows+r.
2. Paste in: %appdata%\nvda
3. Press enter. Your NVDA configuration directory should appear.
4. Find remote.ini and delete it. If you don't have file extensions on it might just show up as remote.

On 3/20/2022 3:52 PM, Chrissie wrote:
[...]

That's interesting that I'm not the only one.

Chrissie

[...]

~ Commenter, *Evangelos* , in comments for America 2022: Where
New York Times , February 8, 2022

Jackie

O, no, I'm sorry--I just meant I'd like to see which version of NVDA
you're running, Chrissie, cuz we've had issues where certs aren't
valid & NVDA couldn't update, & it messed w/remote also.

What's wrong w/yall--failed telepathy 101 like me? :(

New York Times , February 8, 2022

Chrissie

Thanks very much. I'll give that a try in the morning. It's getting a bit
late round here.

Chrissie

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

The remote issue sounds like your Remote.ini  file is corrupt.  If you open the Run dialog with Windows+r then type %appdata% and press enter, you should open your appData folder.  Open the NVDA folder within AppData then find and delete the file called Remote.ini.  Restart NVDA and try accessing the remote menu again.  As Brian pointed out, there has been issues with the default relay server nvdaremote.com, so have a look on:

https://nvra.io/

and choose an alternative relay server.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a try.

Chrissie

[...]

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Where remote is concerned go to
C:\users\owner(or your name)\ApDataroaming\NVDA
and delete "remote.ini"
reboot NVDA alt+ctrl+n and then try opening remote again.

[...]

Moderator's Note:  I am going to start getting more strict about this, and this particular topic has two perfect examples of the issue.

Our group rules state the following, and I expect it will be adhered to:  1.  Use threaded or conversation view in your e-mail client program or webmail and reading through the entirety of a topic before replying.  It gets you completely up to speed and avoids a lot of repetition.  If you choose not to use threaded/conversation view, please take the time to read through all messages from the group that are in your inbox prior to adding any reply to the group.  It’s the only way you can be sure you’re up to speed on any topic when not using threaded/conversation view.

Last night, Tyler Spivey (thanks, by the way), posted the suggestion about removing the remote.ini file as one of the earliest replies in this topic.  The original poster acknowledged this and said she'd give this a try sometime tomorrow morning.

This morning, we have had two people post, almost verbatim, the same recommendation.  That is not useful, it is clutter.

This isn't even going to be prefaced with a please:   It is expected that members will read the entirety of what has already been posted to a topic before posting ANYTHING of their own to it.  That is basic courtesy and netiquette.  Having the exact same material posted hours to days apart is not helpful, it's clutter.  And it doesn't matter who may have posted it first, once the information is out there, and clearly stated, it need not be restated again in the same topic.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 06:41 AM, Chrissie wrote:
I'll give it a try.
-
Status update, please?

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Chrissie

Status Update

Deleting remote.ini did the trick. Many thanks.

Chrissie:

New York Times, February 8, 2022

Any resolution as far as the update problem?

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022