Notices on Joseph Lee's add-ons: compatible with NVDA 2022.1, saying goodbye to most of my add-ons as of April 1, 2022

Hello everyone,

With the release of NVDA 2022.1 beta 1, I understand that many of you might be wondering about state of your favorite add-ons, more so as 2022.1 is a compatibility breaking release. I can assure you that I and other add-on authors are working hard to ensure that add-ons you know and love are ready for the upcoming NVDA release.

A few important reminders before talking about my own add-ons:

  1. There have been reports of add-ons not working in recent NVDA alpha builds. This is expected as things can change without notice in alpha builds. Therefore, you should use NVDA alpha builds for the purposes of early testing and providing feedback to developers. Same can be said about beta releases.
  2. Don’t worry if your favorite add-on is not working with NVDA 2022.1 beta 1 at this time. I expect authors will provide guidance for their add-ons and their compatibility, and in some (or most) cases, compatible releases will be posted on community add-ons website soon.
  3. If you have feedback about add-ons, the first people to contact should be add-on authors, not NV Access unless you are talking about an add-on developed by NV Access.

Now for the fun stuff: I know that some of you are wondering about status of my own add-ons. I can report that if you are running 22.03.1 releases of my add-ons, you are good to go. The following add-ons are affected:

  • Add-on Updater
  • Enhanced Touch Gestures (EOL)
  • GoldWave (EOL)
  • Resource Monitor (EOL)
  • Sound Splitter (EOL)
  • StationPlaylist (EOL)
  • Windows App Essentials

You may have noticed that most of my add-ons are marked with EOL (end of life). And indeed, these add-ons (five of them) are no longer being maintained by me. The last release under my maintenance is 22.03.1. The official end of life date for these add-ons is April 1, 2022 as I will be making changes between now and then to remove support for older Windows releases (as I announced previously, 22.03.1 will be the final releases of end of life add-ons to support Windows 7, 8, and 8.1).

Thank you for your feedback for Enhanced Touch Gestures, GoldWave, Resource Monitor, Sound Splitter, and StationPlaylist over the years. Your feedback made all the difference for these add-ons. Now it is the community’s turn to make a difference for these add-ons in the future by maintaining them.

P.S. One more milestone before I say goodbye (finally) to the NVDA community…

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I've been ignoring the notifications from Add-on updater about it and Windows App Essentials because it wants to roll back to 22.2 based on the database.  I haven't received the notifications for 22.03.1 yet.  I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1586) and NVDA 2021.3.4.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

You will get a notification about new add-on updates within the next few minutes (22.03.1 of my add-ons are being distributed as of this moment).

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi Joseph.  I didn't receive an automatic notification, even though it's enabled, but they showed up when I performed a manual check for add-on updates.  Is there a reason for this?

Thanks,

Louise

Hi,

Check to make sure that automatic ad-on updates feature is on (NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings, Add-on Updater panel, first checkbox). Also, Add-on Updater will check for updates automaticlaly every 24 hours.

Cheers,

Joseph

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I checked to make sure that "automatically check for add-on updates" was enabled before I did the manual check.  There was another add-on that wanted to be updated at the same time as the ones discussed in this thread.  I was under the impression that Add-on Updater would check for updates when NVDA started for the first time after you started the computer.  Sorry about that.  Thanks for answering my questions.  I thought they related to the add-ons in question.

Louise