Issue with NVDA saying Unknown when attempting to access a Google Account in Chrome

farhan israk

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail, google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more. Either I have to refresh the page or restart the browser. However, if I navigate using the arrow key, I do not face this issue. How can I fix it?

Luke Davis

farhan israk wrote:

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,
I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can you check for updates?

google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

you said you are using NVDA 2021.3.4, upgrade to NVDA 2021.3.5

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

Rui Fontes

It will not solve the problem!

Rui Fontes

farhan israk wrote:

> I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,

I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can
you check for updates?

> google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration
Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

Michael Chopra

Good morning, have you tried another browser? Can you navigate with another one? Use edge or any other one and see if that helps.

Thanks.

From Michael.

Michael Chopra

BA (Law) University student.

farhan israk wrote:

> I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,

I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can
you check for updates?

> google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration
Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

--

eduardo fermiano luccas

joinville, brasil

Rui Fontes

It seems it is a invisible, for NVDA, dialog asking permission to access the account...

Rui Fontes

Às 10:48 de 25/03/2022, Luke Davis escreveu:

farhan israk wrote:

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,
I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can you check for updates?

google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

Gene

Have you encountered such a dialog?  I never have.  I'm not saying it isn't present, but I'm curious why you think it might be.

While I don't know what is causing the problem, if just refreshing the page one time is necessary, that is an easy workaround that doesn't take much time.

I would suggest having a sighted person look at the screen.  You might want to try JAWS or Narrator to see if anything is read before asking for sighted help or if sighted help is inconvenient to get.

Gene

farhan israk wrote:

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,

I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can you check for updates?

google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

Rui Fontes

If I had not encountered such dialog, how I do  I knew about it?

Rui Fontes

farhan israk wrote:

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,

I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can you check for updates?

google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

Gene

You might have heard about it but I'm also curious if your screen-reader read it if it was encountered.  And if so, it would seem unlikely that refreshing the page would cause it to disappear if it is asking to access the account.

Again, I'm not saying what you are describing isn't the case, but I think it needs more checking such as a sighted person looking at the screen or seeing what other screen-readers do.

Gene

farhan israk wrote:

I am using windows 10 21h2, nvda 2021.3.4 and google chrome Version 99.0.4844.82 (Official Build) (64-bit). I cannot browse google sites such as gmail,

I am not a Chrome user, but I believe they are up to version 100 or more. Can you check for updates?

google drive or google disability help desk properly. If I press tab and nvda focuses my account, nvda says unknown. I cannot navigate in the page any more.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you run the COM Registration Fixing Tool in the NVDA tools menu?

Luke

Topic Title Updated for Specificity.

For those claiming that such dialogs exist (and I'm not arguing one way or another) it is incumbent on you to give the steps necessary to get one to appear.  No one can be expected to guess how such is brought into existence.

And for an issue such as this one, the description of exactly how the navigation is being done and exactly where the sticking point occurs is essential.  That's lacking here.

For myself, if Google Chrome is having issues with accessing a Google Account in it, my first suspicion would be cache corruption in your instance of Chrome itself.  and to fix that to see if it gets rid of the problem:

1. Open Chrome History with CTRL + H
2. Navigate to the Clear browsing data link, and activate it.
3. In the dialog that is presented, choose the following values and check these checboxes:
        a. Time Range dropdown - All time.
        b. Cached images and files
4. Navigate to the Clear data button and activate it.
5. I also suggest exiting Chrome afterward, and firing it up again, but that's not strictly necessary.

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022