2022.3.5 Upgrade and Speaking of Taskbar Icons

Russell James

Greetings,

This update did not affect the speaking of the icons in the task bar!

This update correctly says it's version as 2022.3.5!

Russ

Well, here is the changelog for NVDA:  https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/releases/2021.3.5/documentation/changes.html

A search on the word "taskbar" doesn't show a single change since 2016.

What were you expecting this update to change in relation to the taskbar?  Also, under what version(s) of Windows?

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Sarah k Alawami

I remember someone had trouble with task bars' items and the english language, or rather a different language. I'm actually heading off to work so can't search the list at this time, but that should be a shove in the right direction.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 12:33 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I'm actually heading off to work so can't search the list at this time, but that should be a shove in the right direction.
-

Searching a Groups.io Topics Page/Archive

     ~ Commenter, Evangelos, in comments for
        New York Times, February 8, 2022

Russell James

Brian I'm not seeing the message history here and I don't know if your message is in response to mine but I would like to mention that with the latest upgrade to 3.5 my taskbar icons didn't go silent after the upgrade and force me to restart the computer to get them back...

I don't know the root cause but something improved the update process :-)

Russ

        New York Times, February 8, 2022

--
eduardo fermiano luccas
joinville, brasil

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM, Eduardo Fermiano Luccas wrote:
I think we should forced to always restart the computer after doing any installation or update
-
I won't go that far, the "forced" part, but it certainly never hurts.

Over time I figure out which updates require me to restart the software itself (even if it "auto restarts") versus the computer versus just merrily rolling along.

Patterns do become quite clear with time and repetition for specific things.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be.

    ~ Betty Rollin

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM, Russell James wrote:
I would like to mention that with the latest upgrade to 3.5 my taskbar icons didn't go silent after the upgrade and force me to restart the computer to get them back...
-
My response was to your message.  I could not tell whether you were upset about something versus pleased, now that's clear.

Much like Eduardo Fermiano Luccas, I tend to at least exit and restart software after updates, so I often don't notice things that only happen if you do not do so.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be.

    ~ Betty Rollin

Russell James

When installations require restarts shouldn't they at least recommend it? :-)

Sometimes, when it's convenient, I will do that but it's not always required and some applications will install and end with a restart now option...

Thanks for asking for the clarification sorry I wasn't more clear

Russ

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022, 12:18 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM, Russell James wrote:
I would like to mention that with the latest upgrade to 3.5 my taskbar icons didn't go silent after the upgrade and force me to restart the computer to get them back...
-
My response was to your message.  I could not tell whether you were upset about something versus pleased, now that's clear.

Much like Eduardo Fermiano Luccas, I tend to at least exit and restart software after updates, so I often don't notice things that only happen if you do not do so.

Scratch most feminists and underneath there is a woman who longs to be a sex object. The difference is that is not all she wants to be.

    ~ Betty Rollin

Hi,

System restart option and a message to that effect is most applicable if the installer modified files that were in use, say DLL files that are part of device drivers. There is a way to tell Windows to replace such files when it restarts.

In case of NVDA, restart option is unnecessary because it does not modify system device drivers. You may end up with odd behavior from NVDA if it cannot remove parts of itself completely from web browsers, Microsoft Word, and other tasks, and usually restarting NVDA resolves this (sometimes logging off and back in resolves this, too). While a message would be nice, this is not really feasible because when NVDA updates, it will restart itself when installation is complete.

Cheers,

Joseph

Quentin Christensen

Hi Russell,

Without looking into what change you were hoping for reading icons - NVDA 2021.3.5 was a security update - it fixed a potential security hole, only.  We generally add new features to major releases (NVDA 2021.1, NVDA 2021.2, NVDA 2021.3 etc), but not minor releases (NVDA 2021.3.1, 2021.3.2, etc).  Any changes, new features, and non-critical fixes are generally included in the next major release.   In fact currently we are already in the beta period for NVDA 2022.1, so if you download the beta for that, you would notice new features and changes from 2021.3.

Again, just replying off the top of my head, I haven't looked into any taskbar reading issue - but if there is a problem, or you have an idea on how it could be improved, do first check: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues to see if it has already been reported, and if not, do please create a new issue.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 3:16 AM Russell James <4rjames@...> wrote:
Greetings,

This update did not affect the speaking of the icons in the task bar!

This update correctly says it's version as 2022.3.5!

Russ

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager