SayAll not auto reading in Chrome

John Sanfilippo

I'm running Windows 11, NVDA 2021.3.5, and I don't what version of Google Chrome. For the past few days, whenever I open any page, it does not auto read, I must press NVDA plus a.

Has something changed?

John

Gene

Have you rebooted since the problem began?  If that didn't solve the problem, try the following:

Open the browse mode dialog, control NVDA key b.
Tab until you get to say all on page load or similar wording.
It is a check box.
Check it with the space bar if it is unchecked.  Then press enter.  If the check box is already checked, uncheck it, then press enter.
Then, open the browse mode dialog again, tab to the check box, check it and press enter. 
See if that solves the problem.

Sometimes, if a setting in a program is lost, changing the setting, then changing it back to what it was will restore it.

Gene

On 4/3/2022 7:36 AM, John Sanfilippo wrote:
I'm running Windows 11, NVDA 2021.3.5, and I don't what version of Google Chrome. For the past few days, whenever I open any page, it does not auto read, I must press NVDA plus a.

Has something changed?

John

Steve Nutt

I can also reproduce this.

All the best

All the best

Steve

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sanfilippo
Sent: 03 April 2022 13:36
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] SayAll not auto reading in Chrome

Has something changed?

John

Steve Nutt

I have it checked, and it still doesn’t work.

Have you tried it with Chrome Jean? NVDA doesn’t speak anything when you load a page in Chrome automatically.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 03 April 2022 13:48
Subject: Re: [nvda] SayAll not auto reading in Chrome

Have you rebooted since the problem began?  If that didn't solve the problem, try the following:

It is a check box.
Check it with the space bar if it is unchecked.  Then press enter.  If the check box is already checked, uncheck it, then press enter.
Then, open the browse mode dialog again, tab to the check box, check it and press enter. 

Sometimes, if a setting in a program is lost, changing the setting, then changing it back to what it was will restore it.

Gene

Has something changed?

John

Hi,

If it is Chrome 100, then it confirms the following issue:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13571

In short, the issue is caused by NVDA waiting for a specific event to occur which does not occur in Chromium 100 (affecting Chrome and Edge), and according to a technical overview by Mick Curran from NV Access (Mick is the creator and head NVDA developer, by the way), an event which NVDA hasn't responded for some years is now used by Chromium 100 to tell observers (screen readers, in this case) that the webpage is loaded completely (this event is appropriately named "document load complete"). A fix is indeed in the works - not sure in which NVDA release this will be part of.

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

I have the same thing happen.  I seldom use Chrome but I tested now.

Gene

On 4/8/2022 7:00 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

I have it checked, and it still doesn’t work.

Have you tried it with Chrome Jean? NVDA doesn’t speak anything when you load a page in Chrome automatically.

All the best

Steve

Sent: 03 April 2022 13:48

It is a check box.

Gene

Has something changed?

John

Gene

I had assumed that the screen-reader read automatically based on some way the browser knew the document was fully loaded and not on a specific notification to the screen-reader from the browser.  Doesn't the browser somehow know internally when a page is loaded?

Gene

On 4/8/2022 7:49 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

In short, the issue is caused by NVDA waiting for a specific event to occur which does not occur in Chromium 100 (affecting Chrome and Edge), and according to a technical overview by Mick Curran from NV Access (Mick is the creator and head NVDA developer, by the way), an event which NVDA hasn't responded for some years is now used by Chromium 100 to tell observers (screen readers, in this case) that the webpage is loaded completely (this event is appropriately named "document load complete"). A fix is indeed in the works - not sure in which NVDA release this will be part of.

Cheers,

Joseph

Steve Nutt

Hi Jean,

You’d think so, but not NVDA it appears.

I have tested JAWS, Supernova, System Access and Narrator, and they all auto read with Chrome, so it seems odd that NVDA doesn’t. I wonder why it relies on that particular event?

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 08 April 2022 15:58

I had assumed that the screen-reader read automatically based on some way the browser knew the document was fully loaded and not on a specific notification to the screen-reader from the browser.  Doesn't the browser somehow know internally when a page is loaded?

Gene

On 4/8/2022 7:49 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Chrome support is divided into several parts, of these the important parts are virtual buffers and IAccessible2. Virtual buffer requires NVDA to inject part of itself to Chrome to find out what's going on with the document and to consume the virtual buffer (browse mode) content, and IAccessible2 (IA2) is used to handle accessibility information provided by Chrome (obviously that depends on how web authors and frameworks coded their documents). NVDA would wait for the web document to be ready completely before starting say all, but it looks like with the change to Chrome 100, NV Access might be a taking a different approach to restore automatic say all on page load (we can go on for days talking about the basics of browse mode/virtual buffer internals).

Cheers,

Joseph