Please help, I think I’ve changed a setting in NVDA but I don’t know what it is or how to change it back again.

Khalid Anwar

I’ll try and explain what happens, I have restarted NVDA and the computer as well but the odd behaviour continues.
Basically, whenever I’m performing an action on a webpage such as pressing E for edit fields, the cursor will jump to those edit fields but NVDA will not announce anything, no longer says The word blank if The field is empty but keeps quiet, and something strange happens when I try to press NVDA plus N, instead of giving me the NvdA settings it spells something out instead.
Pressing NVDA with any key doesn’t seem to work anymore, though I can still press NVDA with shift and other key combinations, that’s alright.
can anyone advise what seems to be happening?

Gerardo Corripio

You most likely have the setting checked that when you restart NVDA, previously-saved settings stick. I’d recommend restore to the previous settings; I think the key-combo is NVDA+Control+r? Good luck!

Gera

El 18 abr 2022, a la(s) 1:50 p.m., Khalid Anwar <anwarkhalid850@...> escribió:

I’ll try and explain what happens, I have restarted NVDA and the computer as well but the odd behaviour continues.
Basically, whenever I’m performing an action on a webpage such as pressing E for edit fields, the cursor will jump to those edit fields but NVDA will not announce anything, no longer says The word blank if The field is empty but keeps quiet, and something strange happens when I try to press NVDA plus N, instead of giving me the NvdA settings it spells something out instead.
Pressing NVDA with any key doesn’t seem to work anymore, though I can still press NVDA with shift and other key combinations, that’s alright.
can anyone advise what seems to be happening?

Sarah k Alawami

Have you run the com reg fixing tool, you said you restarted nvda, but what version are you running, also have you restarted with add ons disabled?

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

I’ll try and explain what happens, I have restarted NVDA and the computer as well but the odd behaviour continues.

Basically, whenever I’m performing an action on a webpage such as pressing E for edit fields, the cursor will jump to those edit fields but NVDA will not announce anything, no longer says The word blank if The field is empty but keeps quiet, and something strange happens when I try to press NVDA plus N, instead of giving me the NvdA settings it spells something out instead.

Pressing NVDA with any key doesn’t seem to work anymore, though I can still press NVDA with shift and other key combinations, that’s alright.
can anyone advise what seems to be happening?

Khalid Anwar

Thank you for your help so far.
I have never heard of this tool before, how would I go about using it.
Also, I would like to try and restart NVDA without the add-ons but I can’t seem to get access to the NVDA settings menu, is there a keyboard shortcut for this?

Luke Davis

Khalid Anwar wrote:

I have never heard of this tool before, how would I go about using it.
If you can get to the NVDA menu, perhaps by pressing Windows+B and arrowing up and down until you reach it in the task bar notifications area, then pressing enter, you may be able to try.
If you can get to the NVDA menu that way, you can go to Tools, then COM Registrations Fixing Tool, and select it.
Choose yes, then approve the UAC if any.

Also, I would like to try and restart NVDA without the add-ons but I can’t seem to get access to the NVDA settings menu, is there a keyboard shortcut for
this?
If you have quit setup to show the exit menu, just press NVDA+Q, and go down to "Start with add-ons disabled", and press enter.

Also, you may try resetting your configuration to factory defaults. To do that, press NVDA+Ctrl+R three times fast.

Be aware that this will clear all your NVDA settings, if you let it save settings thereafter, which it will by default.

If you want to stop it from saving settings, you can uncheck "Save settings on exit" in NVDA's general settings (NVDA+Ctrl+G).

All of this assumes an English keyboard in the Desktop configuration.

Luke

Gene

I'm going into this to try to save people from making a very inconvenient and annoying mistake.  Using the revert to saved configuration command under the current circumstances will do nothing.  When you use that command, it will restore the saved configuration.  That is, if you make changes and haven't saved them. using the command NVdA key control r returns you to the configuration you were using before you made any changes.

The NVDA default, setting, and I've said before its a bad one but there is no interest in changing it, is to save the current settings on exit.  So when you shut down the computer, whatever changes you made are saved and the settings currently being used become the saved configuration.  There are no previous settings to return to.  Closing NVDA destroyed them all, whether you closed it by shutting down Windows or closing NVDA.

The only way to test to see if a settings change is the problem is to return NVDA to factory defaults.  The way to do that is to issue the command NVDA key control r three times quickly.  If the settings don't change, issue the command again and repeatedly until they do.  You may want or need to try different pauses between issuing the command.  Then try doing what you are having problems with.

Butt unless you want to save the factory settings as the saved configuration, don't close NVDA while using factory settings.  If settings aren't the problem in this case, restore the settings you were using by issuing NVDA key control r once.  That will return you to the saved configuration, which you haven't changed.

I doubt this is a settings problem.  NVDA would have no settings to produce such illogical and useless behavior.  You should try running NVDA with all add-ons diisabled to see if that helps and run the com registration fixing tool.  You can try reverting to factory settings as well but I doubt that will help.

Gene

On 4/18/2022 2:03 PM, Gerardo Corripio wrote:
[...]

Thank you to everyone for your help, by using the method outlined above I was able to reset NVDA to its factory settings with NVDA control and r  And I was able to get the system working as usual, with one slight hiccup but I’ll make a new post for that particular problem.