Formatting issues in Word, add-on?

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

Is there an addon for Word that works with the latest NVDA and Windows Ten?

My job requires me to use a Word template in an old version of Word, I’m pretty sure it’s 1997-2003. This template is on a transcription platform. I write within the template and submit it through the platform. When  I toggle between Ctrl-U or Ctrl-I for underlining or italics, NVDA often reports incorrect status. It usually says that they are on each time. This has caused the formatting of documents I submit to be incorrect and I’m not sure whether I can trust the report formatting command NVDA-F. Is there an addon that would work reliably to prevent this problem?

Thank you,

Janet

Jackie

Have you used NVDA + f to look at your font? It'll say those attributes.

On 4/20/22, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Is there an addon for Word that works with the latest NVDA and Windows Ten?

My job requires me to use a Word template in an old version of Word, I'm
pretty sure it's 1997-2003. This template is on a transcription platform. I
write within the template and submit it through the platform. When I
toggle
between Ctrl-U or Ctrl-I for underlining or italics, NVDA often reports
incorrect status. It usually says that they are on each time. This has
caused the formatting of documents I submit to be incorrect and I'm not
sure
whether I can trust the report formatting command NVDA-F. Is there an addon
that would work reliably to prevent this problem?

Thank you,

Janet

Janet,

I would suggest, as soon as you've created a fresh document with that template created in a much older version of Word, I would immediately do a "Save As" and make sure that the document itself is saved as a docx format that's currently in use.

If the recipients insist in having it in the old format, at the end do a Save As again, choosing the old doc format.  Unless you're doing something very unusual, in both cases of doing the Save As, you can ignore the message that formatting may be lost.  This only happens when the formatting in question exists in one version but not in the other, and all things related to fonts have existed "forever" in Word.

I wouldn't expect that even an add-on would be reliable here.  This is a reason why it is critical that not just individuals, but organizations, "keep up" as programs change.  It would take just a few short moments for whoever has that ancient template in dot format to open it in a newer version of Word, do a Save as to dotx, then replace it.

Backward compatibility simply cannot be maintained forever, and not just in regard to NVDA.  Using templates that were created in very long out of support versions of Word is just not a good idea and whoever's in charge of those needs to get off the stick and update them to match the Word versions (and there have now been many) that use the "new" dotx format.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Janet Brandly

Thanks Brian, I completely agree with keeping up-to-date and will recommend this.

[...]

Hi Jackie,

Yes, I have used that command but with the formatting not being toggled on and off correctly I'm not sure whether or not to trust that command's accuracy. Brian has given me some e great suggestions.

Janet

[...]

I think I'd trust that more than I would the toggle.

[...]

Have you tried reading a document or the part you are working on with the setting on that says something like report formatting changes after the cursor?  I haven't played with different ways of getting attribute information to any extent but you may find that a good method to see changes as they occur in a document.

the setting is a checkbox at the end of the document formatting dialog.  The fastest way to get to it is to open document formenting, then shift tab a number of times to it.

When you have finished working with it, you can turn it off with one command, the use saved configuration command, NVDA key control r.

Gene
On 4/20/2022 10:31 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

[...]

Can cause significant lag, though.

Also, Janet, I don't know what version of Word you've got, but I
strongly suggest turning live preview off if available.

On 4/20/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

to:
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com &
www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

It wasn't clear to me in the previous discussion whether you were referring to the setting I discussed.  If you were referring to something else, I hope you find my suggestion useful.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:49 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

[...]

NVDA aside (as I am not questioning the possible inaccuracy of reporting) the toggle formatting commands for:
Bold    CTRL + B
Italic    CTRL + I
Underline CTRL + U

Have been around "since dirt" and are, in my experience [and I do use them, a lot] rock solid reliable.  They also work in most formatted text editing contexts even outside of Word.  Word seems to have been what text editiing in general has had its commands modeled on.  Even in the Groups.io web interface, if I select something in the editor those three commands do the same thing, and the underline command is not even shown in the default "short list" of formatting commands.  CTRL + K to add a hyperlink for the selected text works, too.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Gene

I did a little experimenting and I got the following results:
Turning on report formatting changes in front of the cursor didn't tell me if italics were present in a document.
Turning on phont  attributes did tell me when italics are on and off, but only when using read to end.

My experience regarding when italics is on and off is that the command control i reliably toggles italics on and off.  Do you hear any announcement from NVDA when you toggle it on and off?

Gene

On 4/20/2022 10:52 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Hi Gene,

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.

Janet

[...]

Thanks for this suggestion. I’ve just turned on the Announce Formatting Changes setting under Document Formatting. We’ll see how that goes.

Janet

[...]

This may be something that should be submitted as a ticket.  When I italicize a sentence and use read to end, I accurately hear when italics begins and ends.  But if I only italicize one word in a sentence, I don't hear notice of it using read to end.  If I move by word, I hear the announcement and if I move by character, I hear it.

If you issue a control I command and hear that italics is on, that is reliable, as is the italics off announcement when you toggle it off.  If you have confidence in that command, you should be able to trust that, regardless of what you hear announced while reading.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 11:14 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:

[...]

Another way of reliably toggling on formatting attributes is simply to
select the text you wish to format, then press the appropriate
keystroke, ie, ctrl b, ctrl i, etc. The formatting change will not
extend beyond the selected text.

<mailto:jbrandly@...> wrote:

[...]

message to:

wp4newbs-request@...
<mailto:wp4newbs-request@...> with 'subscribe' in the Subject
field OR by visiting the list page
athttp://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

& check out my sites atwww.brightstarsweb.com
<http://www.brightstarsweb.com> &www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

It isn't properly accessible because you should be able to have it identified as some sort of structure in browse mode, but you still can work with it if you have browse mode off and tab to the item.

This looks like a similar structure to what I've seen elsewhere.

Gene

On 4/20/2022 11:48 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Looks like your nvda might be screwed up some how. Did you disable all add ons, try the toggle, use the com reg fixing took, try toggle, restart computer, try toggle, factory reset of nvda, try toggle?

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

[...]

Luke Davis

Janet Brandly wrote:

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.
I think this may need some deeper analysis.

Open a blank word document.
Toggle on bold, underline, and italics.
After each, toggle it off again immediately.

Does NVDA announce "bold on", "bold off", and so on?

Then, open one of your templates and try the same thing.

Do you get the same behavior as you did in the blank document?

If that does work in your template as it did in the blank document, can you give a step by step example of a case wherein it doesn't work?

I have run into situations where one of those toggles has reported the opposite of what I expect, but this has always been the result of operator error.

Also, I have never known NVDA+F not to be accurate, assuming all of the correct attributes are set in document formatting.

And no add-on is likely to do better, since it will be using the same information sources.
Turning UIA on or off might get you more information in certain cases, but not this one.

Luke

Luke Davis

Janet Brandly wrote:

Yes, when I toggle the underline and italics keys NVDA always says that they are on. so I can’t trust it.
I don't think anyone asked or you said: what version of word? I.e. 16.something.something.something.
And are there any updates you can apply?

Luke

Hi all,

I know this was not on the table, but can you send me a debug log to figure out what NVDA is saying? To do so, restart NVDA with debug logging, open Word, perform formatting commands, then open NVDA log viewer (NVDA+F1), copy everything, and paste it as a private email to me. The reason is that I want to see if we're seeing a double announcement problem where NVDA announces formatting command results twice - once after pressing the formatting command, followed immediately by a repeat of or a different announcement, and if this is really the case, a simple solution exists: Windows App Essentials add-on (I know, I'm sort of a salesman for this add-on, but I seriously recommend ALL Windows 10 and 11 users to install that add-on); I'll explain what's happening if the debug log confirms my hunch.

Cheers,

Joseph