From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Armando Maldonado
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2022 9:14 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Odd issue with NVDA and windows 11

Hello,

Using latest build of NVDA along with Windows 11, I'm noticing that all of a sudden on its own, it reads progress bars. I am wondering if there's a way to turn this off, or what can be causing such behavior? The only way I get rid of this is if I turn off progress bar announcements, any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Armando

Armando Maldonado

Hey sarah,,

I tried it with beeps and yes the behavior persists, it reads a bunch of numbers, no matter what app/program I'm in, and if the pc is idle, thanks.

Armando

On 4/21/2022 9:16 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Does this happen in beeps mode as well? I’m just curious as it in theory should not be happening in said mode.  Also what progress bars is it reading?

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Using latest build of NVDA along with Windows 11, I'm noticing that all of a sudden on its own, it reads progress bars. I am wondering if there's a way to turn this off, or what can be causing such behavior? The only way I get rid of this is if I turn off progress bar announcements, any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Armando

Gene

I don't think this is an NVDA problem.  I think something is going on in Windows or a Windows program that is causing a progress bar to be displayed and NVDA is reading it.  If you alt tab around, do you see any window that gives any idea of what it might be?  Also, did this behavior start after any event, such as after updates were installed or after you installed a program?

Gene

On 4/21/2022 11:13 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

Using latest build of NVDA along with Windows 11, I'm noticing that all of a sudden on its own, it reads progress bars. I am wondering if there's a way to turn this off, or what can be causing such behavior? The only way I get rid of this is if I turn off progress bar announcements, any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Armando

Armando Maldonado

Hello, No to your questions, it just does this even when pc is idle. I'v eeven restored Windows to no avail, thanks.

On 4/21/2022 1:03 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Have you had a sighted person look at the screen?  There may be something occurring the screen-reader is unable to show you except that it shows its progress.

Gene

On 4/21/2022 1:03 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hello, I have not yet, but will do this next, thanks.

armando

On 4/21/2022 1:03 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't think this is an NVDA problem.  I think something is going on in Windows or a Windows program that is causing a progress bar to be displayed and NVDA is reading it.  If you alt tab around, do you see any window that gives any idea of what it might be?  Also, did this behavior start after any event, such as after updates were installed or after you installed a program?

Gene

On 4/21/2022 11:13 AM, Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello,

Using latest build of NVDA along with Windows 11, I'm noticing that all of a sudden on its own, it reads progress bars. I am wondering if there's a way to turn this off, or what can be causing such behavior? The only way I get rid of this is if I turn off progress bar announcements, any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.

Armando

Luke Davis

Armando Maldonado wrote:

Hello, No to your questions, it just does this even when pc is idle. I'v eeven restored Windows to no avail, thanks.
Do you have, or can you get, the speech history add-on? If so, can you check what is spoken right before the progress bar starts announcing?

I suspect a background updater, such as the old Apple Software Update, that isn't quite background enough.

You can also check your startup applications to see if anything is running that might cause progress bars.

Lastly, if background progress bars is checked in object presentation settings, progress bars you wouldn't normally hear will be announced. Turning that off might solve the symptom, though not the cause, of your problem.
Luke

Hi,

I also advise installing Event Tracker which is designed (somewhat) for issues like this. With this add-on installed, provided that NVDA is running with debug logging, it will log events coming from apps, including background apps. It might be that a background application might be responsible for progress bar announcement.

Cheers,

Joseph

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Sounds like they have background progress bars turned on too. This will read bars even for apps that are not in focus.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close