Looking for nvda friendly editors that support markdown and spell checking

Pranav Lal

Hi all,

I want to write in markdown. However, I am looking for a NVDA friendly
editor that supports spell checking. I do not want to constantly have to
ignore words that have the various markdown characters.

Yes, markdown can be written in any text editor but as far as I have
experienced, the spelling checkers flag the marked text as errors which is
understandable.

This requirement is for an article I am writing for a friend's blog. My
other option is to write the article in Microsoft word and then convert it
to markdown.

Pranav

Jackie

Well, this isn't exactly NVDA related, so I hope I don't get in
trouble for this, but I think that Writemonkey, (write monkey),
available from:
www.writemonkey.com
will do precisely what you need.

Get version 2, though, as version 3 isn't accessible. I'm afraid it's
kind of been abandoned now, but I just tested it, and the spellcheck
ignores the markdown symbols. It supports various types of markdown,
so pick your poison.

Also, it has a very funny splash screen when started, ie, when I
started it up this last time it told me:
"Dogs come when called; cats have answering machines."
So it's always good for a laugh, & who couldn't use more of that?

I'm going to say something here, & really really really might get in
trouble for it, but Markdown is a wonderful tool for blind folks
because it allows quite precise formatting of documents, or at least
those that don't have advanced requirements. We just had a fairly long
thread on this list about the trials and tribulations of formatting
documents using word processors. W/tools like Writemonkey and
Markdown, this becomes a breeze. I'm a real fangirl of Markdown, in
case you can't tell.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:19 PM, Jackie wrote:
Well, this isn't exactly NVDA related, so I hope I don't get in trouble for this, but I think that Writemonkey, (write monkey),
available from: www.writemonkey.com will do precisely what you need.
-
Jackie,

What you offered is "perfectly legal:"  Discussions about which programs are accessible using NVDA, NVDA add-ons, NVDA tutorials and documentation, and configuring synthesizers or Braille displays for use with NVDA are also permitted.

A question was asked about program options that are accessible with NVDA, and you've offered one  Were you to have gone into all the nuts and bolts of working with Writemonkey, it's commands and shortcuts, and the like I'd have suggested you take it to the Chat Subgroup.

There are frequent questions about what specific programs are accessible with NVDA, and the giving of options that fill that bill is a part of the group mission.

I seem to recall that Sarah A. is a huge fan of Markdown, too, so I expect she may chime in about what editor or editors she's using for Markdown that are also accessible with NVDA.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Louis Maher

Hello Pranav,

You might consider the Microsoft word plug-in "Writage"
Please download Writage from
https://www.writage.com/download

documentation
https://www.writage.com/docs-page/#:~:text=Copy%20Markdown%20code%20into%20the%20clipboard%20by%20selecting,your%20document%20with%20all%20the%20predefined%20styles%20applied."

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
I want to write in markdown. However, I am looking for a NVDA friendly editor that supports spell checking. I do not want to constantly have to ignore words that have the various markdown characters.

Yes, markdown can be written in any text editor but as far as I have experienced, the spelling checkers flag the marked text as errors which is understandable.

This requirement is for an article I am writing for a friend's blog. My other option is to write the article in Microsoft word and then convert it to markdown.

Pranav

Luke Davis

Brian Vogel wrote:

I seem to recall that Sarah A. is a huge fan of Markdown, too, so I expect she may chime in about
what editor or editors she's using for Markdown that are also accessible with NVDA.
As am I. But I am more a consumer of this topic than a contributor, as my editor of choice is nano under Linux. Does spell checking and otherwise leaves the text alone.

Notepad++ can do it of course, but I have never tried spell checking in that (it probably has a plugin).

I have been looking for something to handle Markdown in Windows for a while, but more on the rendering side (to preview a document).

Luke

I'd be interested in this too. There is one called viscon:

https://visconapp.com/

Hopefully, this will do what you need.

On 4/22/2022 9:48 PM, Pranav Lal wrote:
Hi all,

I want to write in markdown. However, I am looking for a NVDA  friendly
editor that supports spell checking. I do not want to constantly have to
ignore words that have the various markdown characters.

Yes, markdown can be written in any text editor but as far as I have
experienced, the spelling checkers flag the marked text as errors which is
understandable.

This requirement is for an article I am writing for a friend's blog. My
other option is to  write the article in Microsoft word and then convert it
to markdown.

Pranav

Sarah k Alawami

I am actually using jarte, writing my text as markdown and just checking spelling etc.  It works for what I need. I am so confident that I normally don’t check to see if it is formatted right anymore.  Maybe not the corrrrect way but it works

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

[...]

William

Luke,

I have once tried using spell check addon of notepad++ and seemed not accessible with nvda.

Luke Davis 於 23/4/2022 11:31 寫道:

Brian Vogel wrote:

I seem to recall that Sarah A. is a huge fan of Markdown, too, so I expect she may chime in about
what editor or editors she's using for Markdown that are also accessible with NVDA.
As am I. But I am more a consumer of this topic than a contributor, as my editor of choice is nano under Linux. Does spell checking and otherwise leaves the text alone.

Notepad++ can do it of course, but I have never tried spell checking in that (it probably has a plugin).

I have been looking for something to handle Markdown in Windows for a while, but more on the rendering side (to preview a document).

Luke

William

By the way I have just tried installing an addon of vscode https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ban.spellright

The addon uses the build in spelling checker of Windows, and if spelling errors is detected, you can hear the audio cue of vscode, and you can look for the spelling errors from status bar.

Although it offers an option for pressing ctrl +. to select from suggestion, but it seems to be not accessible by nvda.

SuperSilly 於 23/4/2022 19:20 寫道:

William wrote:

I have once tried using spell check addon of notepad++ and seemed not accessible with nvda.
That is what I had heard, which is why I never bothered trying it. I have found most of Notepad++ plugin stuff to be less than ideally accessible.

Luke

Pranav Lal

Hi Louis,

Many thanks. I am going to go with ritage. This is the most convenient
option for me for now because I need this plugin for a single article for
now. The 14 trial should be sufficient though the plugin is accessible so I
may buy it later.

Pranav

Pranav Lal

Hi Sarah,

Are you saying that jart detects markdown and handles spell checking without getting confused?

Pranav

Sarah k Alawami

I might also take a look at that, if I can remember what this plugin does. I
just had a long day so am suffering from memory lapses from the past few
hours. I'll actually send now as I totally forgot what else I was going to
say. Sorry folks. The plug seems interesting though and if I can add it to
my arsenal then Coolio.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact
us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Many thanks. I am going to go with ritage. This is the most convenient
option for me for now because I need this plugin for a single article for
now. The 14 trial should be sufficient though the plugin is accessible so I
may buy it later.

Pranav

Sarah k Alawami

No I just ignore all when it catches it. But otherwise it’s doable. Remember I take  the long way around things so your mileage might very.

----