I've really managed to mess up my Thunderbird

Larry Higgins

Oh Listers,

While playing trying to install an addon, I have managed to completely mess up the view/presentation in Thunderbird. In other words, I no longer get the usual presentation of the message body, where I can immediately begin reading, but a whole lot of clutter about threads, an dconversation and such when I tab through the message  trying to locate the message body. This is the same no matter what screen reader I might use.

When I press enter on a message, I can no longer just arrow down through it, nor use read all to read it. Nothing but silence until I tab, and finally run into the message body by using a combination of tab and arrow keys.

I have tried all kinds of views, as well as  to get back to normal by moving from simple HTML, original HTML, as well as plain text, but no go. I can find nothing like default settings to fall back on.

I am using Windows 10, and of course NVDA, and have also tried working with JFW, but with no success.

Please help!,

Larry

Larry Higgins

OK, please permit me to either clarify, or muddy the waters, as well as your understanding about this mess I've managed to create for myself.

I am not suggesting that this happened due to anything to do with the addon, only that was what my major preoccupation at the time happened to be.

The real problems seem to be these, that I can't simply begin reading a message from the top, but have to tab around to begin to be in any position to hear any of the message read to me at all. the screen looks more like a web page than a message screen.

Also, I cannot reply to any message unless I tab down to the reply and press enter on that link. I cannot reply by using the ctrl+R key. Just down right weird.

I just want my normal presentation back. I am pretty sure that it is the same one that the rest of you are using.

I also hope I'm not replying to the wrong message, but to myown.

OK, I'll stop now before making an absolute ass of myself.

I'm sure there must be a solution, but be it far from me ...

I don't seem  to be able to bring up anything like browse mode in this situation, but I can still  work with it with my Edge created Google app.

On 5/2/2022 8:20 PM, Larry Higgins via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Richard Kuzma

Good evening,
Sounds like you got your email view set to something like a web page view.
There are settings in the preferences for that.
If you cant find it , I will check it here and let you know.
Sorry for being general but might be a start.

[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Larry,

Are you sure you didn't activate the message pain window by accident? If so , the press "F8 to deactivate it. If you have it activated, you must tab past it with every message to see the full message body.

--
Signature:

Larry Higgins

Well, for some reason, my message pane wont go on or off by pressing F8, and when I run across it in the view menu under the layout heading it says not available, but checked. That is a weird one indeed, at least I think so.

Someone mentioned that I might have a setting turned on in preferences that messages should show like Web pages, but I still have to check that one out.

OK, I went and tried to find that Web page option, and think I may have found it, but it made no difference. Woe is me.

I'll probably just have to go sleep on it, and maybe something will come to me.

Thanks, and please let me know if any new ideas occur to you all.

On 5/2/2022 9:25 PM, Richard Kuzma via groups.io wrote:
[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

I just copied this from off my website it might help you.

Recommended views for Thunderbird
Best viewing options. For ease of use, set your Thunderbird message viewing options to the following:
• Turn off the quick filter menu/function in Thunderbird to make it a lot easier to use. To do this, press the Alt key until the File menu comes up, then arrow right to the View menu, then down to the Toolbars menu. Locate the quick filter menu and untick it. Pressing the Enter key if it is ticked will untick it for you. Now press the F8 key to disable the preview pane. This should make it a lot easier for you to use now.
• To set menu / tool bar options ... Press Alt... (to bring up the file menu)... arrow across to View... arrow down to Toolbars... (select Menu Bar and Mail Toolbar).
• To set the layout... Press Alt... (to bring up the file menu)... arrow across to View... arrow down to Layout... and select Classic View and tick Message Pane.
• To set the header view, press the Alt key to get to the file menu and arrow right to the view menu. Next, arrow down to the header menu. Select normal.
• To make it easier to locate all of your folders the best view is All.  Press Alt... (to bring up the file menu)... arrow across to View... arrow down to Folders... then arrow right to All and press Enter.  This should put it into the most practical view to find them.
• To set how your message is opened and displayed... Press Alt... (to bring up the file menu)... arrow across to Tools... arrow down to Options... select the tab called Advanced... select the Reading & Display tab up the top... Tab down to Open message in... and select either A New Message Window or An Existing Message Window. Make sure you OK it to take effect.
• To open your message in a new window...Press the Alt key to get to the file menu. Once there, arrow right to the tools menu...now arrow down to the options menu and press Enter. The next page that comes up with have a list of tabs. The first tab is general. Arrow right to the advanced tab. You will need to locate the reading and display tab. Under that section, you will need to tab down until you hear open message in. It will give you 3 options. Change it there to new message window. Now when you open up a new email, to close it you can simply use the Escape key or the Alt and F4 key (and it will take you back to your messages).

Gene nz

Under my threads I have it set to all maybe you changed some thing there so it comes up like a treeview for the messages?

Gene nz

On 3/05/2022 3:27 pm, Larry Higgins wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Lary,

What if you tried uninstalling and then re-installing thunderbird? I'm not saying it'll work but you could give it a try and see what happens.

Rosemarie

[...]

Gene

An excellent demonstration of why I keep recommending use of Thunderbird Portable.  I'm not saying this can't be corrected but if Thunderbird Portable were being used, all that would have to be done is delete the version of Thunderbird being used, and paste a backup of the program that you would keep current so you can replace the copy you are using and not lose new things such as settings, or if you are using an MP3 account, messages.

You would copy the folder to the location where you have the copy of the program you usually use.

Gene

On 5/2/2022 10:27 PM, Larry Higgins wrote:

[...]

.

Gene

I've had the message pane on for short times using Thunderbird and I never have to tab when opening a message to see the message body.  I open a message and read it as usual.  All the message pane does is display the message when you move to it and don't open it in a part of the Thunderbird window.  None of the described symptoms are view pane ways of displaying messages.  When you read a message in the view pane, it is like reading it when you open it.

Gene

On 5/2/2022 9:57 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

[...]

I doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird would solve the problem unless you do more than just a typical uninstallation.  Thunderbird, as do most programs now, save settings when uninstalled in case the user wants to install and use the program again.  If this is a settings problem, uninstalling and reinstalling should not correct it.

If the wrong add-on has been placed in the program, it may be that uninstalling and reinstalling the program would solve the problem.  That may uninstall the add-on.  But if you are using a POP3 account, would you lose the e-mail stored in the program?  I don't know but if you don't want to take a chance, don't uninstall it until you find out.

You could try uninstalling the add-on just to see if that helps.

Also, it is not true that you can't install an add-on from a file you have downloaded in a browser.

In the add-ons section of Preferences, if you tab around, you will see a button that says something like tools for all extensions and it is a menu.  If you press the space bar on it, you will see an item in the menu that says install add-on from file.

Press enter on it and, as i recall, a typical open dialog will appear which you can use to install the add-on.

Gene

On 5/2/2022 11:52 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I forgot to indicate in my last message that I was responding to Brian's message.  I had meant to remove the messages below mine as well.

Gene

On 5/3/2022 12:24 AM, Gene wrote:

[...]

Well Gene, I never managed to get the Thunderbird addon installed, but did get the columns addon installed for NVDA, and it really looked like I had something. At least I had the read and unread labels set at the beginning of the message columns presentation.

Now I can't be sure that might have had nothing to do with it, but at the time, it didn't appear so.

Now my messages are opening up in another window, and in that setting, I have quite a bit of screen clutter, but at least I can read my mail.

I am using the reply to all option on the messages web page looking presentation in that window to send this reply.

Thank God I'm not completely out of the saddle, but it just isn't anything like the way I prefer my environment to look like or function.

Hopefully I have given you and anyone else who could add some helpful suggestions enough details to work with.

And yes, I was considering uninstalling the whole program.

I was reading an article going back to 2013 suggesting that one in this circumstance could uninstall a couple of settings and configuration files, but considering the changes that Thunderbird goes through over time, I'm definitely hesitant to do any of that.

Surely there has to be a way.

BTW, I really don't wish to discuss this topic here on this list, especially due to the fact that this is probably not even close to an NVDA issue, so if any of you could just send suggestions to the address below, that would most likely be preferable to all concerned.

larryhiggins22@...

Thanks a bunch,

Larry

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 01:25 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, it is not true that you can't install an add-on from a file you have downloaded in a browser.
-
Where did I say that, Gene?  I didn't.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Gene

I don't see why the attachment would cause the problem.  I suggested removing it because at times, seemingly irrational things happen.

As far as seeing messages in a different window is concerned, I don't see why that would cause what you are describing, but in another message, after I find it, I'll explain how to change a setting to have all messages display in the same window.

Gene

On 5/3/2022 12:01 AM, Gene wrote:
I doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird would solve the problem unless you do more than just a typical uninstallation. Thunderbird, as do most programs now, save settings when uninstalled in case the user wants to install and use the program again.  If this is a settings problem, uninstalling and reinstalling should not correct it.

If the wrong add-on has been placed in the program, it may be that uninstalling and reinstalling the program would solve the problem. That may uninstall the add-on.  But if you are using a POP3 account, would you lose the e-mail stored in the program?  I don't know but if you don't want to take a chance, don't uninstall it until you find out.

You could try uninstalling the add-on just to see if that helps.

Gene

.

Gene

You explained how to install an add-on using NVDA itself, that is, using the built in browser to search for and install an add-on.  I may try to find your original message but as I recall, you said, however you worded it, that you can't install an add-on from a downloaded file.  I explained how you can download an add-on using an independent browser and install it.

Gene

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:21 AM, Gene wrote:
I may try to find your original message but as I recall, you said, however you worded it, that you can't install an add-on from a downloaded file.
-
First, this message, which I've conveniently found for your review, see , was in the topic Using the Thunderbird addon, not this one.

I said absolutely nothing in that post regarding other methods, I gave what I consider the most common, and convenient, way of acquiring Thunderbird add-ons sans any comment about alternative methods (none of which had been previously discussed in any detail, I might add).  I will ask you, again, to please stop reacting to what you think I've said when I've said no such thing.

Also, and I know it can happen, please try to avoid "cross tying" two different topics.  We all do it by accident every once in a while.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Gene

I meant to say I don't see why the add-on would cause this behavior.

Gene

On 5/3/2022 12:01 AM, Gene wrote:
I doubt that uninstalling and reinstalling Thunderbird would solve the problem unless you do more than just a typical uninstallation. Thunderbird, as do most programs now, save settings when uninstalled in case the user wants to install and use the program again.  If this is a settings problem, uninstalling and reinstalling should not correct it.

If the wrong add-on has been placed in the program, it may be that uninstalling and reinstalling the program would solve the problem. That may uninstall the add-on.  But if you are using a POP3 account, would you lose the e-mail stored in the program?  I don't know but if you don't want to take a chance, don't uninstall it until you find out.

You could try uninstalling the add-on just to see if that helps.

Gene

.

Gene

I meant to say you explained how to install an add-on using Thunderbird itself.

Gene
On 5/3/2022 10:21 AM, Gene wrote:

You explained how to install an add-on using NVDA itself, that is, using the built in browser to search for and install an add-on.  I may try to find your original message but as I recall, you said, however you worded it, that you can't install an add-on from a downloaded file.  I explained how you can download an add-on using an independent browser and install it.

Gene

On 5/3/2022 8:05 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 01:25 AM, Gene wrote:
Also, it is not true that you can't install an add-on from a file you have downloaded in a browser.
-
Where did I say that, Gene?  I didn't.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Gene

You said:
"Thunderbird add-ons (AKA Extensions) are installed from within Thunderbird itself, using the rough equivalent of NVDA Add-Ons Manager."  That doesn't say there isn't another way, but it could very easily be taken to mean that there isn't.  However, since you didn't say there is no other way, I should have said that there is another way instead of saying you said there isn't.

I generally don't miscarachterize what you say but misinterpretations or mistakes are something anyone may make on occasion.

Gene