Reading and editing footers in Word with NVDA

Sandra Pilz

Hello,

I just tried to edit the footer of a Microsoft Word document using NVDA. I wasn't able to read it as long as UIA for Word was active. When I changed it back to the old setting, i.e. not to use UIA, I was able to edit the fotter as I remembered being able to.

Are headers and footers in Word currently not supported when UIA for Word is active?

I have a Office 365 subscription and am using the latest version of Word.

Regards

Sandra

Luke Davis

You left out some key information.
What version of NVDA do you have?

You said that the difference occurs when you turn UIA on or off. However, in the most recent versions of NVDA, there is an intermediate setting, which allows NVDA to use UIA only when necessary, and fallback to IAccessible otherwise.
That sounds like the setting you need here.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

I'v enot seen that seeint as of yet myself, I'll have to see if I have that on my windows computer which I'm not on at the moment. I'm at work. Yee I get to learn something new when I get out today.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 4 May 2022, at 14:25, Luke Davis wrote:

You left out some key information.
What version of NVDA do you have?

You said that the difference occurs when you turn UIA on or off. However, in the most recent versions of NVDA, there is an intermediate setting, which allows NVDA to use UIA only when necessary, and fallback to IAccessible otherwise.
That sounds like the setting you need here.

Luke

Quentin Christensen

I just tested on:

Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 21H2 (2009), Build: 19044.1645

Office 365 (64-bit) Version: 16.0.15128.20140

And using either NVDA 2021.3.5, or NVDA 2022.1Beta4, everything works as expected with UIA enabled (2021.3.5) or set to "Always"  (2022.1beta4).

I can add or edit footers and read the text.

Which build of Office and version of NVDA are you using?

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sandra Pilz

Hi Quentin, Luke, and Sarah,

Thank you for your replies.

I’m using NVDA Version 2021.3.4 and Word (Version 2204 Build 16.0.15128.20158).

I have tried editing footers again and am able to do it as long as the footer I’m trying to edit doesn’t contain a table. When I wrote my first Email, I had tried editing a footer including a table and didn’t think of removing the table to see if the table caused my problem.

I can edit the footer including the table when UIA use in Word isn’t selected, I can’t when it is selected.

Kind regards

Sandra