Sharing large files

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Good morning all,

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Avast logo

Thomas E Williamson, Senior

Good Morning!

I use WeTransfer.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Luke Davis

Cearbhall O'Meadhra wrote:

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry
such a large file?
I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.
Why do you say that? I use Dropbox on a daily basis.
It is even installable, though with some difficulty, with the help of the Dropbox add-on for NVDA.

That aside, iCloud works fine.

I know many blind people who use WeTransfer and SendTransfer.

Lastly there is box.com, which last I heard, will give you 10 GB of free space, and from my, admittedly limited, uses of it, has appeared accessible.

There are others, including some new one with end to end encryption with keys stored on your local machines, but I haven't tested that for accessibility yet. They bill themselves as the Signal of file transfer services.

Luke

Louis Maher

Hello Cearbhall,

You can make dropbox act like file explorer using this setup procedure:

----

To make the Windows Dropbox client act like file explorer:

Once the Dropbox windows client has been installed, and you have logged in to dropbox using the dropbox client:

Type windows B

go to dropbox, hit enter, the context menu appears.

go to preferences,

you are in General,

tab to: ""when starting dropbox go to the desktop app: uncheck this,

tab twice, ""badge"" do not use that,

tab twice to ""open folders in"" change to file explorer.

use “alt + down arrow” for pulldown menus,

hit enter until you leave the dialog.

---

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Avast logo

Ken Perry

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice over on IOS, and Talkback.  I am not sure the trouble your having but it is still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Thanks, Louis,

That is really clear and very helpful.

All the best,

Cearbhall

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Avast logo

Monte Single

I know the subject is not dropbox, but I will make 1 comment.

I current.y have a free 100gig dropbox account which I got by buying a new hp pc last fall.

If I share files that are 1 or 2 hundred megabytes, no problem,  but if I start sharing files of 3 or 4 gig to several people,  that free account is usually frozen in less than  a day and stays frozen for a day or 2.

That’s a free account I’

M talking about.

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice over on IOS, and Talkback.  I am not sure the trouble your having but it is still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Thanks, Luke,

Glad to hear that Dropbox still functions. I have mine for many years now and
ceased to use it for some time. I think I need to remove it and reinstall it
now that I have your reassurance that it is still usable.

I tried WeTransfer and found it excellent and fully accessible. I have noted
all of the steps that I took and would happily make these available to anyone
who wants them.

I will keep a note of the other services that you mention for future
reference.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Thanks for answering. I'll look into reinstalling my Dropbox.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice over on IOS, and Talkback.  I am not sure the trouble your having but it is still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Michael Micallef at FITA

Hi,

May I ask from where you manage to get 100 gig dropbox space I have just 16gb and I had to work for that space by recommend dropbox installation to others but I never heard about 100gb of dropbox space  so can you enlight me?

Thank you

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice over on IOS, and Talkback.  I am not sure the trouble your having but it is still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Ken Perry

You can pay for it.  I have a TB because of stuff I do.

May I ask from where you manage to get 100 gig dropbox space I have just 16gb and I had to work for that space by recommend dropbox installation to others but I never heard about 100gb of dropbox space  so can you enlight me?

Thank you

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice over on IOS, and Talkback.  I am not sure the trouble your having but it is still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

The feature you are describing has been removed from Dropbox.  Now, it displays as file explorer with no choice in the program to use the other display.  If that is the problem the person is having, your instructions should help but since Dropbox automatically updates the person well may not have that feature any longer.

But I'd like to know what problem the person is having with Dropbox.  I can still use it to share files in exactly the same way as I did before.

Gene

On 5/5/2022 5:32 AM, Louis Maher wrote:

[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

There's a site called sendtransfer. If you have a free account with them, you can send up to 10 gigs. There's also wetransfer. If you have the proaccount, you can send large files that way too.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Rosemarie

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Rosemarie Chavarria

I use wetransfer and sometimes I'll use sendtransfer.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Thanks, Rosemarie,

I used WeTransfer and found it easy to use and fully accessible.

All the best,s

Cearbhall

There's a site called sendtransfer. If you have a free account with them, you can send up to 10 gigs. There's also wetransfer. If you have the proaccount, you can send large files that way too.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Rosemarie

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Monte Single

At the beginning, I wrote;

“I have a free 100 gig dropbox account I got because I purchased a hp desktop last fall.”

It is good for 1 year.

[...]

Ali Colak

İ'm not sure if you have a google account, but I would just use google
drive. Upload it and then share the link. Not sure why no one else
recommended it, does it have a flaw that İ'm not aware of?

On 5/5/22, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:
At the beginning, I wrote;

"I have a free 100 gig dropbox account I got because I purchased a hp
desktop last fall."

It is good for 1 year.

You can pay for it. I have a TB because of stuff I do.

Drop box works for me with NVDA, Jaws, Narrirator, Voice over on Mac, Voice
over on IOS, and Talkback. I am not sure the trouble your having but it is
still one of the best secure methods.

I hope you are keeping well and avoiding Covid!

I need to share a large zip file of 150mb with a colleague on a regular
basis. Can you suggest a file transfer system that is accessible and could
carry such a large file?

I used to use Dropbox but that does not seem to work any more.

All suggestions welcome.

All the best,

Cearbhall

<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@...>

_____

<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.avast
.com%2Fantivirus&data=05%7C01%7Cmichael.micallef%40gov.mt%7C69414d18f2714cd2
41f908da2e8b96bb%7C34cdd9f55db849bcacba01f65cca680d%7C0%7C0%7C63787347509371
9262%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1
haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ahbHD%2BFX21FECsF6pjsVS97asbMnzou1
7W1lVxrL%2Bbc%3D&reserved=0>

<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.avast
.com%2Fantivirus&data=05%7C01%7Cmichael.micallef%40gov.mt%7C69414d18f2714cd2
41f908da2e8b96bb%7C34cdd9f55db849bcacba01f65cca680d%7C0%7C0%7C63787347509371
9262%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1
haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ahbHD%2BFX21FECsF6pjsVS97asbMnzou1
7W1lVxrL%2Bbc%3D&reserved=0>

Arlene

Oh, I never knew you can upload on google drive. I do have a google account. But I don’t have google drive.

Sent from Mail for Windows

İ'm not sure if you have a google account, but I would just use google

drive.  Upload it and then share the link. Not sure why no one else

recommended it, does it have a flaw that İ'm not aware of?

On 5/5/22, Monte Single <mrsingle@...> wrote:

> At the beginning, I wrote;

> "I have a free 100 gig dropbox account I got because I purchased a hp

> desktop last fall."

> It is good for 1 year.

Luke Davis

On May 5, Ali Colak wrote:

İ'm not sure if you have a google account, but I would just use google
drive. Upload it and then share the link. Not sure why no one else
recommended it, does it have a flaw that İ'm not aware of?
Well, it is google. What's yours is theirs, and all that.

I do have a google drive account, but I have always found it fiddly, and I would never give them anything important. So it didn't even occur to me to recommend them.

But that's just me.

Luke

Gene

If you have a Google account, you have Google Drive.  If you want to look at it, I can look at Google and tell you how to open it.

Gene