Visual studio lagging

Cyrille

Hello
I have opened an issue on GitHub to have it documented: #13685

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 04:55 PM, Jackie wrote:
Cyrille, w/all due respect--& I mean that sincerely--it is *always*
best to restart after making changes to something. Sometimes that
means the screen reader, sometimes it means the whole system. But
there are many things so embedded in the system that they simply
cannot be changed without a restart, & it really is 1 of the very
basic troubleshooting steps used to ensure that a change has indeed
taken effect.

I'm not saying putting it in the manual isn't beneficial, but again,
this really is 1 of those basics that everyone kind of laughs
about--ie, how many times did tech support tell you to restart your
computer? but it is something that can be of immense importance. I've
been doing tech support of various flavors for 30 years now
(gosh--really? yikes time flies!), & it still amazes me at times just
how much that 1 small step can accomplish.

I see. I think, at minimum, we can do something about editing the user guide
to mention this fact (or at least add a text in these settings labels to
note the requireemnt to restart after changing settings, similar to language
option in general settings). I advise raising an issue on GitHub so folks
can document others requiring a restart for changes to take effect (and I
think it would be great if we can mark it as good for new developers).

Cheers,

Joseph

Jackie

[...]

But documentation (in the GUI (Graphical User Interface) or in the User Guide) is also useful for advanced users!
Currently, it is documented neither in the GUI, nor in the User Guide.
If the advanced panel contains advanced features, sometimes in test phase, I do not consider that their documentation should be neglected. On the contrary, it should be documented correctly so that it can be tested.
Because at the end, the documentation probably exists: it is hidden in a thread of a mailing list or in a GitHub ticket. And by chance, I have read it in the past and I have vaguely remembered it. Why not put the documentation at the right place?

Franckly, as a developer using Visual Studio, I do not expect to have to dig into NVDA's code base and to know how UIA works to be able to configure NVDA so that it works with this application. I just need to know that this options can have an impact on some applications such as Visual Studio or VSC performances and that I have to restart NVDA in case I change this option.

Cheers,

Cyrille

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 08:44 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Not really I think as that option is meant for advanced users.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Not really I think as that option is meant for advanced users.

Cheers,

Joseph

bering.p

Hi.
In this case, NVDA should warn the user that a reboot is needed like when changing language.
Best regards.
Paul.
Le 10/05/2022 11:59, Joseph Lee a écrit :

Hi,

Specifically in order to reload UIA support, but the explanation makes sense.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Specifically in order to reload UIA support, but the explanation makes sense.

Cheers,

Joseph

Cyrille

Hi all

Thanks Amir and Gene for the answers.

And thanks for the trick Gene. Thisreally makes a difference.

Actually, on the contrary to what I wrote yesterday, checking "Enable selective registration for UI Automation events and property changes" in the Advanced Settings seems to greatly improve things. But today I have restarted NVDA after having modified the option, what I did not do yesterday. This restart seems necessary to guarantee that this option takes effect, probably because UIA events are only registered at NVDA startup.

I will let you know if I face any new difficulty.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Gene

What happens if you move up and down the tree view when holding control?  That may speed up the announcement of where you are a great deal because nothing is being selected as long as you hold control, if standard Windows conventions are followed.

Gene

On 5/9/2022 11:14 AM, Akash Kakkar wrote:

Yeah, it happens with me too, even on VS2022. I've tired of reporting the issues to visual studio developer community, and the all which I get is they say that it is NVDA issue and NVAccess is not cooperating with them in fixing them.

I don't know what the reality is

On 5/9/2022 8:04 PM, Cyrille via groups.io wrote:
Hello all

I have to use Visual Studio for my job. I have Visual Studio 2019 installed and I work on a C# project.
When navigating through the interface, I am experimenting some lags.

A more specific and impacting example is the one of the solution explorer. The solution explorer is reachable with ctrl+alt+L and contains a tree view containing all the files of the project and their structured content.
When I arrow up/down in the tree view, the tree view item is reported 2-3 seconds after the key press; that's very long to browse a tree view!

Is there some parameters in NVDA or in Visual Studio that can be modified to enhance this experience?

In NVDA, I have already tried to check and uncheck "Enable selective registration for UI Automation events and property changes" in the advanced settings panel, but no change.

Note: Narrator is much faster even if reporting the tree item is not totally immediate and is done after a fraction of a second though.

Thanks.
Cheers,

Cyrille

Akash Kakkar