time and date key (NVDA plus F12)

Howard Traxler

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3.  When I first boot up, the command F12 tells me the system volume.  After it's been up awhile, it stays silent.  I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help.  At first, it doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit.  This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.

Howard

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi,
Assuming you have a laptop,
Probably your f keys are not working as f1 to f12, rather as some system function.
so try with the function key. NVDA+Function+f12.
If that works, you can try fixing the f keys depending on the laptop model.
good luck.

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 5:29 AM Howard Traxler <htraxler7@...> wrote:
For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3.  When I first boot up, the command
F12 tells me the system volume.  After it's been up awhile, it stays
silent.  I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help.  At first, it
doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit.
This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.

Howard

Sarah k Alawami

I don't know what kind of system you have, but check to see your fn keys are deactivated. Consult your favorite search engine as there are a million ways to do things on every different laptop.

Good luck.

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3. When I first boot up, the command
F12 tells me the system volume. After it's been up awhile, it stays silent. I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help. At first, it doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit. This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Howard

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Why don't you go into input options and change the time and date to something else like the pause key?

--
******
Something to think about:

Howard Traxler

Thank you Sarah, but this machine is a desktop.  Sorry I failed to mention that.  As such, there is no FN key.

Howard

On 5/9/2022 10:49 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I don't know what kind of system you have, but check to see your fn keys are deactivated. Consult your favorite search engine as there are a million ways to do things on every different laptop.

Good luck.

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3. When I first boot up, the command
F12 tells me the system volume. After it's been up awhile, it stays silent. I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help. At first, it doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit. This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Howard

Gene

Have you checked to see if other NVDA key commands work properly?  How about NVDA key n or NVDA key q?

Gene

On 5/10/2022 5:41 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gene, yes, I've used other NVDA keys and they seem a little iffy; especially when the computer first boots.  Like: the time and date key tells me the system volume; the screen review and object review doesn't work.  By the time I get to the read line and quit keys, most things are working.  Except for the time; and that's a favorite.  I guess I should try more keys.  So I did a reset and now the computer does not come up talking.  So I have to try to remember how to get NVDA loaded from a portable copy on a USB stick.  Well, I haven't given up yet.  Good thing I have two working computers.

 Howard

On 5/10/2022 7:18 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi Howard

Is there any manufacturer based enhanced keyboard driver in effect that provides additional functionality?  I remember having a wireless keyboard systm one time and that interfered with my screen reader.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 5/10/2022 7:18 AM, Gene wrote:

> Have you checked to see if other NVDA key commands work properly? How

> about NVDA key n or NVDA key q?

> Gene

> On 5/10/2022 5:41 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:

>> Thank you Sarah, but this machine is a desktop.  Sorry I failed to

>> mention that.  As such, there is no FN key.

>> Howard

>> On 5/9/2022 10:49 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

>>> I don't know what kind of system you have, but check to see your fn

>>> keys are deactivated.  Consult your favorite search engine as there

>>> are a million ways to do things on every different laptop.

>>> Good luck.

>>> Traxler

>>> Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 7:29 PM

>>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

>>> For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

>>> I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3.  When I first boot up, the

>>> command

>>> F12 tells me the system volume.  After it's been up awhile, it stays

>>> silent.  I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help. At first, it

>>> doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a

>>> bit. This is all after a system restore, if that matters

>>> Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.

>>> Howard

Betsy Grenevitch

On my laptop which I believe is set up like a desktop keyboard I have to push NVDA Key plus the delete key which is two to the right of the F12 key. Then while holding those down I push the F12 key once for time and twice for the date. Hope this helps.

On 5/10/2022 7:18 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Howard Traxler

Thank you Betsy.  It shouldn't be that way, I don't think.  But I'll give that a try after I get it going again.

Howard

On 5/10/2022 7:18 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

No Chris, I don't think so.  This is just a USB keyboard plugged into a desktop computer.  I don't think there are any extra drivers involved.

Howard

On 5/10/2022 9:23 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi Howard

Is there any manufacturer based enhanced keyboard driver in effect that provides additional functionality?  I remember having a wireless keyboard systm one time and that interfered with my screen reader.

Cheers

                Chris

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.
I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3.  When I first boot up, the
command
F12 tells me the system volume.  After it's been up awhile, it stays
silent.  I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help. At first, it
doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a
bit. This is all after a system restore, if that matters
Any ideas anyone?  Thanks.
Howard

Sarah k Alawami

You could do that, however, if the pause or brake key is bound to an fn key as well you will be in the same boat. That could work in the interim though.

For some reason, my time and date key isn't working.

I'm using windows 10 and NVDA 21.3.3. When I first boot up, the
command
F12 tells me the system volume. After it's been up awhile, it stays
silent. I did the NVDA fix thing but that didn't help. At first, it
doesn't want to change review modes; but that comes back after a bit.
This is all after a system restore, if that matters

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Howard

--
******
Something to think about:
Since God has forgiven it,
who are you to keep picking it back up!
---------
Family Times theatre
http://familytimes.wrighthere.net:9244/stream
or ask your smart speaker to play family times on tune-in

Tyler Spivey

A standard USB keyboard doesn't mean that it will do what you expect it to. It might have a few extra features.
Try this:
1. Turn on input help with NVDA+1.
2. Press F10 through F12, then turn off input help with NVDA+1.
What do they say?
If they don't say F10 through F12, then you've either got some key remapping software on your computer, or in your keyboard.
Some keyboards have an FN lock key (or combination) that changes what the function keys send.

On 5/10/2022 3:41 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
[...]

That is not   a desktop command.  The command is documented in the user guide as NVDA key f12.  I didn't check the user guide, but I just switched to the laptop layout and you can use the same command.

I asked about a command like NVDA key n to try to determine if the problem is an NVDA problem, perhaps it should be reinstalled, or something else.