Reading mode in NVDA?

Penny,

Welcome to NVDA and the NVDA Group.  Rest assured, that asking if NVDA can do something you're familiar with in another screen reader, and giving the exact "other screen reader" and it's command is perfectly fine.  It removes a lot of ambiguity.

Here is one of my canned bits for NVDA newbies (and some not-so-newbies):  Every NVDA user needs to know how to do two basic things when almost any question arises.  The one you want really depends on the exact nature of the question:

1.        Bring up the NVDA Commands Quick Reference:  NVDA + N, H, Q  [NVDA Menu, Help, Commands Quick Reference]

2.      Bring up the NVDA User Guide:  NVDA + N, H, U   [NVDA Menu, Help, User Guide]

I think all of your original questions have been addressed now.  Feel free to bring up new ones as they occur after you've done a quick check of the Commands Quick Reference and/or the User Guide and no answer has been found for your question.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Luke Davis

On May 11, Penny Golden wrote:

I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.
Penny! It has been a very long time!

Press NVDA+n (When someone here tells you to press NVDA and something, it means either one of the insert keys, or the capslock key, depending on what you setup when you were installing or configuring NVDA).
So press NVDA+N, then H for help.
On the help menu, you can press A, for about, which will tell you the version.
Also on the help menu, you can press U, for the NVDA user guide, which will open in a web browser.

Others have already answered your primary question; I will hold off on that one.

Luke

Carlos Medrano

Hi; welcome to NVDA!

NVDA+down_arrow works, but if you are using the laptop keyboard layout, it is NVDA+a. Note that setting capslock as an NVDA modifier does not mean that the keyboard layout changes to the laptop one if you are using the desktop layout; all it does is allow you to use the capslock in addition to insert with a desktop keyboard.

Hope this helps.

- Carlos

On 5/11/2022 9:15 PM, Sim Kah Yong wrote:
Hi there, welcome to NVDA.

Control+shift+R in Window-eyes is NVDA key + down arrow.

The NVDA key can be the caplock key or the insert.

Cheers!

On 12/5/2022 11:43 am, Penny Golden wrote:

I've just started using NVDA, after a long and loving relationship, so to speak, with my dear old Window-eyes.  I'm still on a win 7 computer.  I don't know how to find out what version of NVDA I have.

I'll try not to ask questions that do not conform to the list guidelines.  In win-eyes, there's a way to read the entire document, at least in an email, without supping.  it was control-shift-r.  Is there a so-called reading mode in NVDA?

Thank you all so much for bearing with a total newbie.  My win-eyes quit reading the menus; it would only read the letters, not the entire thing, such as copy-path, or the like.

NVDA is reading these menus nicely.  If I can get my oldie to do it again, I'll probably go back to using that.

Sorry this got so long.

I'm so glad to have the input help-mode of nvda-1.  But some of these things I do not know how to style.  So I don't know how to ask NVDA the question.  I'll get my hands on a braille command doc to read on my braille devices, and I'll be off and running.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Penny Golden

Old lady Schoolmarm in Eastern Nebraska.

pengold2@...

Quentin Christensen

Hi Penny,

As Sim noted, NVDA+down arrow is the default reading command in NVDA.  If you have set NVDA up in laptop keyboard layout, then it is NVDA+a.

We have a guide on switching from Window-Eyes to NVDA here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/Switching-from-Window-Eyes-to-NVDA

It is not quite as detailed as the guide to switching from Jaws here: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA so you might want to have a look at that as well, particularly the getting started section.

And if you do come up with any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen